Tomcat .32

Discussion in 'Beretta Club' started by C J, Apr 3, 2012.

1. C J

C J

I picked up a new Tomcat .32 cal. I looked at prices on BUSA and my local Gander Mtn. Anywhere from $390-$449. I paid $299. Not bad I thought. Took it to the range and shot it for the first time today. Nice pistol. Accurate little gun. It's exactly that. A little gun. I always wanted one just to have. I understand the minimum defense caliber used to be 9mm. Now I've heard .380, but I say something is better than nothing. I picked up a box of Powerball's to carry with it too. Descent round. Fast. So does anyone else have or had a Tomcat or Bobcat? What do you think of it?

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Used to have one, never again. It's had to be fixed twice now - once by Beretta (free of charge, with a free magazine thrown in) for an unknown internal issue (gun no workie) and once by a local smith when the firing pin sheared through. It's now in the hands of a dear friend that was in need of a firearm (ANY firearm), with strict orders to not go overboard with range time.

Supposedly the newer models have less issues, though. .32 seems to be a decent backup caliber, but I wouldn't reply on it as a primary unless I had no other choice (Like being physically unable to handle anything heavier, etc). It falls in the category of "Empty the magazine then run like hell" for me.

3. bac1023

bac1023

I have one as well and it works great.

4. Eric2340

Eric2340 Infidel :)

I had one, biggest POS I ever owned. :(

Barrel would pop up off of frame after firing, and slide would then "derail" off of frame (yeah, no kidding :( ). Brand new gun too. Sent back to Beretta, told "nothing wrong w/ it" fired it straight out of the box when returned to LGS from Beretta, SAME thing again. Walked out of range straight to counter and traded it on the spot for a S&W J-frame, never looked back.

PS - BTW, came across an older Beretta of the same basic design but in .25 some years latter, did the EXACT SAME thing! :O

Sorry, no more Berettas of this design for me! Did have a Cougar and still have a 92 Centurion I love though! :)

5. Eric2340

Eric2340 Infidel :)

Just as mine had issues too (mine was brand new BTW), there are now MUCH better options out there in .380 and now for just a "little" larger 9mm.

Of course again, for hands down reliability in that size you can't beat a S&W J frame (and if you're going that far for that matter, a G26 :)).