Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been watching this girl who is obsessed with tomatoes on YouTube.

She said to use an aspirin spray to make the flavor better. (1 aspirin to 8oz water)Apparently it stresses them.

And also to make a solution of molassas and water to water and spray with(2tbs per gallon)

She didn't say when or how often. Anyone know?

Also interesting, she said to put an egg in the hole when planting. Didn't explain why that would help though.

She prunes all the branches off accept for a small amount on top and plants them to the non pruned branches. Has cattle panels attached a few ft up on tpost, and prunes them again when they can reach the panel where she attaches them.

Pretty interesting I thought.

She says her favorite varieties are Dr whyches yellow and Paul Robeson. With honorable mention of Brandywine.

Anyone try these? I grew Brandywine last year and it was by far the best I've ever had.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ananas Noire

I grow Pink Brandywines every year. They are excellent, but Ananas Noire are on a different level. Let 'em get good and ripe on the vine.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
It’s funny. I HATE tomatoes but I love tomato sauce, ketchup, pico de gallo, salsa, and all sorts of other stuff with tomatoes in it.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ananas Noire

I grow Pink Brandywines every year. They are excellent, but Ananas Noire are on a different level. Let 'em get good and ripe on the vine.
Just ordered it. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,072 Posts
If I were only allowed to grow one thing in my garden, it would be Tomatoes.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I don't have much luck with growing things, but I had some success growing the Early Girls. The heat in Vegas usually puts an end to my plants despite my efforts to shield them.

Nothing like a fresh tomato cut up with just salt and pepper on them or green Tobasco.

·
Registered
10,938 Posts
Pink Girl.

They have a problem with blight, but the taste is the best I've ever had. Eat alone or make delicious BLT's.

I don't do a garden anymore except tomatoes. I planted 6 Pink Girl plants Yesterday. Got plenty of good bacon in the freezer. Good bacon (to meet my high standards), is hard to come by these days. I'll look at 100 packages of bacon and only buy one. I generally find the best bacon is available in in the winter time, and I stock up for the summer.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
I need to watch that. I can't seem to get it right with tomatoes. Only one year in 5 do I have enough to justify all the money and labor I put into trying to grow some.
On another note, there is now a freaking ketchup shortage across the country. Can you freaking believe this?

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
I have a nice garden space in my new yard so I'm gonna try tomatoes.

I'll start with plants, not from seeds. Going to try the Cherokee Purples. Never met any form of tomato I didn't love so it will be interesting. Need to do some weeding and build my enclosure. We can't plant them around here (Z 6a) until pretty late in May so I've got some time.

·
NRA Benefactor
7,338 Posts
"She prunes all the branches off accept for a small amount on top and plants them to the non pruned branches."

Standard practice. I learned it from my father who was born in the early '20s and he learned it from his parents who were born in the early 1890s. You get fast root development along all of that buried stem. The stem doesn't even have to be vertical if there isn't room, you can lay it sideways in a little trench if that's all you have to work with.

Oh, and if you stick the pruned branches/shoots/leaves into the wet dirt and keep them moist some of them will root and eventually produce tomatoes.

I'm trying a some Brandywine yellow this year. They're called the Platfoot Strain after the guy who developed them/saved the seed. We will see.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I've found that I can grow really pretty & healthy tomato plants. I'm talking out the top of the barrel, over the cage, back down to the ground. I even made extensions and tied them up. However, I get very few tomatoes. What I get, I have to fight with the tree rats for, so I just buy them.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've found that I can grow really pretty & healthy tomato plants. I'm talking out the top of the barrel, over the cage, back down to the ground. I even made extensions and tied them up. However, I get very few tomatoes. What I get, I have to fight with the tree rats for, so I just buy them.
Could be too much nitrogen.

·
Philippians 4: 6-7
9,794 Posts
You just can't beat a tomato sandwich. Can't wait.

Reactions: redrick

·
Registered
286 Posts
My babies. Five varieties, six plants each. I can fit maybe 15 in my garden. I give the rest away to friends.

Mountain Princess: Grow this every year. Smallish, red, tomato. It's best feature is quick to fruit. It gets me fresh tomatoes the quickest.

Blush <something>: Orange and yellow striped small, oblong, tomato. Tried it once before but had issues with cross pollination. Trying again.

Green Zebra: Grow every year. Smallish green fruit. Fantastic tangy, tart, tomato. Really kicks up salsa and similar. Use this combined with the mountain princess in clam spaghetti sauce. Yum!

Pink Brandywine: Every year. An excellent large tomato. I love inside patterning of the slices. Great anywhere you want a thick tomato slice.

Ananas Noire. Every year. Large green/yellow/orange fruit. My favorite tomato. It is beautiful. Slice it open for a rainbow of colors. Flavor leans to sweet. I savor these. I mostly eat it plain or with a little balsamic vinegar, but it is fantastic anywhere a slice of tomato goes. I'll often poach some eggs, put on buttered toast with cheese, and lay a fat slice of this tomato on top. This one benefits from being left on the vine until nice and ripe.

1617917757275.png

1 - 18 of 18 Posts