close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tomatoes which ones?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by noway, Mar 11, 2004.

1. noway

noway

Hey who here knows a thing or 2 on tomatoes?

I'm looking for opinions on the strongest most durable tomatoes for general purpose ( nothing fancu just for sandwichs and burgers ). I'm thinking about growing some this year.

Lately I'm getting tomatoes by the bunch due to their cheaper prices and find out the spoil quick and brusie easy ( maybe to ripe ). I even whent out and got some soft foam to store them thinking that my transportation and storage was the cause. Right now the ugly vine rippen tomatoes are the best but they aren't pretty. :(
    They also cost more, which I don't understand.

2. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

IMO, Roma-types are the most durable.
    I've found that storing them at room temperature on an absorbent surface out of direct light keeps them best. Anything plastic seems to make them rot. If they need to ripen, put them in a paper bag.
    The vine-ripened are generally more expensive because it takes more resources to ripen them on the vine, as opposed to picking them green and "ripening" them with carbon dioxide in a warehouse.
    I got some really good heirloom tomatoes last year at a farmers market...they were the best tasting, though ugliest, tomatoes I've had.

3. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

A second for the Roma type!!! mmm

4. VinniefromNY

VinniefromNY MyOhMy

I have a personal favorite tomato, and being Italian, I should know about tomatoes...

Okay, I'll let the secret slip: my favorite tomatoes are the ones that are red and not moldy or spoiled. I find they taste better than those that have gone bad...why is that????

;9 ;9 ;9 ;9 ;9 ;9 ;9 ;9 ;9 ;9 ;9 ^7 ^7 ^7 ^7 ^7 ^7 ^7 ^7

5. Remander

Remander

If you want to grow some, check with your local Cooperative Extension Service office (the 4-H people; they provide lots of free agricultural serivices) and ask for info.

They likely have a free tip sheet on the varieties that are best for your climate/soil. They will also have info on planting time, fertilizer, fungicides, pesticides, staking methods, etc. At least they do in my neck of the woods.

If a guy in Miss. says Better Boys or Beefsteak are wonderful, that might not neccessarily be the best if a fellow in Maryland wants to raise his own. Make sure you get varieties suited for your area.

Roma's are good for many uses, especially sauces and other cooking, and they are decent in salads, but there are better varieties for fresh slices, burgers and sandwiches. (A good thing about Romas in the stores is they may not be "great" in winter but they are better than most other varieties during the off-season.)

For canned tomatoes ... I think that will be a new thread so as not to highjack this one.

Good luck!

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

For the Virgina/North Carolina area and I am pretty sure it would love it in Florida as well, the Celebrity is a great general all purpose tomato. Can be turned into slices for burgers, canned, made into salsa, good just to salt and munch on. Of course, Romas are great too, but they are small and not preferred for sandwiches.

Celebrity is medium size, about what you get in the grocery store. Great flavor. Good disease, blight & wilt resistance. By wilt, that does not mean wilting from lack of water, it means a type of "disease" that tomatoes and other plants are subject to getting. Certain types of tomatoes have been hybird-ized to build up resistance to these diseases;) Since it is a hybird, you cannot save the seeds out of them to start for next year or you will most likely end up with lots of tommy toes. Don't ask me how I know this.... Make sure to buy your plants from a reputable place or you may find out first hand!

We plant a pretty good size garden each year and Celebrities occupy a large portion of it for the reds. Now if you want a pink, yellow, or striped....that is also a whole other thread;)

7. slightlyabnorml

slightlyabnorml

Brandywine red or yellow (amish heirloom) tomatoes are awesome for everyday useage as are beefsteak and better boy and big boy hybrids . roma's are good keepers, and excellent paste tomatoes.

In season instead of purchasing tomatoes in a supermarket try to locate a farmers market in your area and get your tomatoes there. The taste of homegrown -vs- greenhouse tomatoes is well worth it.

8. mudfootball

mudfootball

There is nothing wrong with the every day garden grown beefsteak tomato, except they have the tendency to crack and then spoil, and the thing with garden tomatoes is you get one or two all summer and then all at once you cant get rid of them fast enough! As for store bought, as quality goes vine ripened is the way to go, other wise red doesnt equal ripe, the ethylene gas used to color the green tomato on the way to the store does not have an effect on the maturation of the fruit, only changes the color.
    kt