Tom Cruise making friends on the Teddy

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Tomcat1977, Aug 19, 2019.

1. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

The police regularly bust people on the sidewalks of DTLA selling pirate copies. I'm ok with that.

2. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

If it was debunked, how could it have happened?

3. nursetim

nursetim

Here’s my stance on it. A bunch of the hollywierd set are throbbing thrombosed hemorrhoids. It’s beside the point. They are but dancing monkeys engaged to entertain me. If they do, I’m happy. It’s not like I’ll be taking long strolls in the park with them or long lingering showers. The sole reason for their existence is to entertain.

He’s not nice, so the **** what.

light-switch likes this.
  4. B C

B C

This is based on facebook posts from a guy? The guy pointed out Cruise's "bigotry" which was odd then was upset no pics were allowed on the set of a movie. That's SOP.

5. nursetim

nursetim

I thought he was married to Mimi Rogers. Who BTW I would dearly love to fluff her pillows. :whistling:

fnfalman likes this.
  6. fg17

fg17

There has been a few.

FFB51FF0-EE7D-4E36-A93D-D68677C17EF3.jpeg

7. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Just sailors doing what sailors do best, *****ing and moaning.

F14A and 63Bravo like this.
  8. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

9. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Thanks, but if you had known who he was you could have told him yourself, I mean after all, you two were probably having dinner at the same place he was when you were at Cecil Field. .

:whistling:

10. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

He is just an actor

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Funny how nobody complained when Top Gun helped Navy recruitment.

F14A likes this.
  12. Peace Warrior

You've got it backwards........

Top Gun was an exploitation of President Reagan's --Make America Great-- polices that interjected a tremendous amount of "carrier diplomacy" around the globe. President Reagan, more so than Hollyweird, helped Navy recruitment during the era that the first Top Gun came out.

OTOH, I will most assuredly and wholly agree that this production is being pushed in order to highlight as well as promote the F35. This new film (Top Gun part duce) is a total propaganda vehicle being made in order to help overcome the public's disdain for the F35 program overall. It may also help Naval recruitment efforts as well.

13. Peace Warrior

Heck, as I think anout it, I would not be surprised if the movie also takes a jab or two at the A-10's planned upgrades program (e.g., through at least 2025) in some scenes. Higher brass F35 fanboys view the A-10 as a competitor for the defense program's budget, which IMHO it is not, well, not in any real sense as the on ly reason it is a concern now is due to all the cost overruns with the F35. (e.g., No F35, then no plan to retire the A-10 at this point.)

However, the retiring of the S-3 (Viking), which were a great multi-role platform in their own right, inadvertently created a veritable "bottomless pit" for replacement A-10 engines and spare parts. Originally given a budget green light only until 2020, the A-10 was given a shot in the arm from all those old S3 power plants and had its upgrading program extended another five years until at least 2025.

Even so, F35 proponents insist the F35 would be better than A-10's at CAS missions. :rolleyes:

Too bad the F22 could not be "outfitted" for regular carrier ops. If so, only Russia and China would have a chance to protract a battle for air superiority over a given battlefield.

Just my $0.02, ymmv

PW

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

She was the yummiest of all three.

nursetim likes this.
  15. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Not in south Texas they don't. Check out swap meets in Rio Grande valley. Movies are 3 for 10 bucks. Most of the time they work.

16. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Wait a minute. We plucked quite a few pilots out of the Tonkin Gulf that got wet. A few AF also. They preferred the water to the jungle because they knew the Navy was there.

17. Tvov

Tvov

Yea, maybe in a more overall sense, but... I know two high school friends who joined the military because of Top Gun (one ended up commanding an artillery unit, and the other is way up in the Navy brass now), and who knows how many others thought seriously about it. I think Top Gun seriously helped the military.

fnfalman and Peace Warrior like this.
  18. Peace Warrior

I have a friend who decided to join after watching the movie, Final Countdown. Well, that and he said he did not like "pounding nails" (i.e., construction work) for a living.

He made it to carriers as a red shirt.

Trivia time: The carrier used for on all of Final Countdown's location shots, save one scene, was the USS Nimitz. Some were of course filmed while the Nimitz was actually at sea, and all the others were while it was docked.

HOWEVER, at the end of movie when the carrier entered Peal Harbor and had the rails manned for "sailing" past the USS Arizona Memorial, the carrier shown in the movie was NOT the USS Nimitz.

100,000,000 worthless internet points if you know, without googling, which carrier was actually filmed going past the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor near the end of the movie.

A: USS Kitty Hawk. The ole "Battle Cat" was one of my dad's stations way back in the day.

19. Tvov

Tvov

Oooooo.... that is a "hidden" answer! More worthless internet points: My friend who climbed the ranks in the Navy, served on that aircraft carrier for a year or two.

So... taking a slight thread detour... Final Countdown is a fascinating idea, and could be a GREAT movie. Just that the movie that was made.... **sigh**. It is not Bad, but... it could have been so much better!!

That is possibly one of the few movies that may be worth doing a remake of.

20. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I often wondered how accurate it was in that movie where the F14 shot down a Zero via gun run, consider how much more maneuverable the Zero was when compared to the Tomcat.