close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tom Clancy

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Habu, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Habu

Habu

Any one read Tom Clancy?

It's good, semi-believable, if you ignore some tactical and technical inconsistencies.

Read:
    Clear and Present Danger
    Patriot Games
    Red Storm Rising
    Sum of All Fears
    Bear and the Dragon
    Without Remorse, one of the best, John Clark is a fascinating character
    Ececutive Orders
    Rainbow 6
    Debt of Honor
    Thoughts, comments, questions?

2. ISRAEL_FTW!!!<3

ISRAEL_FTW!!!<3

those were all great, im not too enthused with the ops center and all the other "series created by Tom Clancy but written by some guy i've never heard of" books..

the Covert One series by Robert Ludlum (and various other authors) is pretty good though. pretty much anything Ludlum touched or breathed on is golden...

3. Habu

Habu

Interesting, I'll try to find some of those Covert 1.

I agree, not at all impressed with Op Center-the quality of writing and detail doesn't measure up.

4. JimmyD

JimmyD

His earlier stuff was great, then things started getting bloated. I can remember reading one book (forgot which one) where I was about 400 pages into it and thought "this is dull." I don't think I've ever finished it.

I blame all of this on Robert Ludlum. I started reading him and got used to the "cliffhanger-at-the-end-of-every-chapter" style of his and never picked up Clancy since. Amazing that Ludlum can continue to put out novels long after he died.

5. OneEyedDrunk

OneEyedDrunk RAZOR

I read the book Red Storm Rising many years ago, and it is definetely my favorite book. It's about WWIII against the former Soviet Union, and a great read.
    I especially enjoyed the Air Force Lieutenant and the marines that he escaped with hiding in Iceland. Not to mention the attack on the fleet by the Russians, and how WWIII started. It was very detailed, and even gave political ramifications for what we may face in the future.

6. Habu

Habu

K-12Glock19, nice shot of Col. Tigh! Yeah, the plight of the airforce guy and the marines in Iceland was very cool-contrails overhead! If you liked that book, you'll love The Bear and The Dragon. It's realistic that way, a war between Russia and China. A must read. You'll love the part about the old Russian guy, the hunter.:thumbsup:

7. Razor

Razor Millennium Member

How can you make a list of recommended Clancy readings and not include "The Hunt for Red October"? ;)

My favorite by far is "Red Storm Rising".

8. Habu

Habu

Well you see, Razor, it's just a list of the ones I've read. One of these days I'll get around to The Hunt, I just never did. Have you read The Bear and The Dragon? I think it was good like Red Storm Rising, that kind of concept. You know, when the tragedy of the cowardly attack of 9-11-01 ocurred, at work we remarked that it was like something out of a Tom Clancy book (like the end of Debt of Honor, remember?). Aside from being terrible, it was very eerie.

9. Razor

Razor Millennium Member

Ah, I do see.
    Well, you need to correct that oversight! "The Hunt for Red October" is one of his best. ;)

The really weird thing about the ending of "Debt of Honor" is that shortly after it was published, a guy in a Cessna crashed onto the White House grounds (the wreckage hit the house). The first thing I thought of when I heard about it is that the pilot must of read the book.

10. Pitmaster

Pitmaster

Most of Clancy's books prognosticated a future event. The Sum Of All Fears compares to the 9/11. I doubt if we will ever see a President associated with the CIA again.

11. Habu

Habu

Yes Razor, I will take your advice and correct that oversight immediately! Should've read it long ago.

I know a great used book store downtown. I shall be visiting it on the morn' of Monday!

Nice to know I wasn't the only one seeing the parallel between the books and those current events as they happened.

12. brownmajik

brownmajik Manu Militari

Without Remorse inspired me to join the Navy...'nuff said.

13. Habu

Habu

brownmajik, that's awesome!:banana:

14. corpdriller

corpdriller

I read this book going trans-atlantic when I was in the Corps. In the book when part of the fleet gets nuked, they mention the USS Nassau. Guess what ship I was on? THAT was weird.

15. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Kind of like how when Kim Jong-Il died (for real) i was rereading Larry Bond's book about the 2nd Korean War (in the 90s), the chapter where he died/retired or something. I looked up at the TV and went "weird".

On Clancy:

Hunt for Red October, The Cardinal of the Kremlin, Without Remorse and Clear and Present Danger are my favorites of the regular series, with Red Storm Rising being a standalone excellent book.

The part in Debt of Honor where the Japanese executive couldn't figure out why his channel kept changing made me chuckle.

16. RetDet

RetDet Millennium Member

Red Storm Rising was a great book to me. In the fifties, my family was stationed in Germany, in Bad Hersfeld, which is only a couple of miles from the East German border, and was dead in the middle of the Fulda Gap. Elements of the 14th Armored Cavalry were stationed in Bad Hersfeld, and periodically, they'd have an alert, and all those tanks would fire up and head for the border.

My father was the resident Counter Intelligence Corps agent there. He got to do some really wild stuff!!!

When I read the book, it sent chills up and down my back.

Another guy that has written a lot about that area is WEB Griffin. His stuff is simple and formulaic, but still fun to read.

17. USMCGLOCKER

USMCGLOCKER

Teeth of the Tiger is Awesome! Check it out.

18. Sharker

Sharker

Clancy is a great writer... however, as the story lines progressed, he made his "precieved self" (AKA a mix between Jack Ryan and John Clark) into more and more the story line! I think the books were better before they became about Jack Ryan.
    Also it irked me that he would use the same charecters often having obscure ties.... IE in W/O Remorse, Jack Ryans dad was mentioned as a lead detective.

In Debt of Honor... the Coastie thats in W/O Remorse is in Gaum?!?...

It just goes on and on... I am all about realizing how small a world it is, but come on...
    and when he made Jack POTUS I kinda was like... OK, he went from being someone I can relate too.... to WOW this guy is now POTUS. I personally like to read fiction when I can relate to the charecters, not when they are WAY over the top!

Just my nit picky opinion.
    That said. W/O Remorse was fantastic... and really all of them I have read were great books,
    Havent read Red Storm Rising or Bear/Dragon... as far as I know, those are the only two beside op center and the ones after Rainbow Six!

19. Razor

Razor Millennium Member

He was also on the Coast Guard Cutter that was in Clear and Present Danger...;)

20. heavyduty

heavyduty

The stuff that bothers you is the part I really enjoy! I like how he ties the books together.

That said, I've noticed a gradual decline in the quality of Clancy's writing over the years - sometimes I think he bought a writing robot. And the spin-off books suck eggs.