close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tom Clancey - The teeth of the Tiger

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Alpha752, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Alpha752

Alpha752

Any one read it yet? I must say I wasnt impressed. I took a LONG time to get intresting, and by the time the story picked up, I as allready put off.

I love the old Jack Ryan series, but this new stuff with little Jack is starting to get a little bit much. TC is trying to make Jack JR into his father, and I dont think it will work. But as a loyal Tom Clancy fan, I will continue to read.

Opinions?

2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

3. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer

I gave up on him. His prose is turgid and sound amateurish. The book that did it was when Ryan was tooling around in a rubber raft with a brave Prince Charles,IIRC. Now that we know that Prince Charles desires to be a tampon, that did it for me.

His best book, Red Storm Rising was ghosted with Larry Bond.

4. Gregm77

Gregm77 Tenifer Freak

I agree w/ Mr Murphy, "It was decent."

I want to see a book starring John Clark, filling in his yrs. between Without Remorse and The Cardinal and The Kremiln.

THAT would be a good read.

5. DepDuke

DepDuke Glockitall

Read it. Good read. I loved the part in the book where the one character got to fire off the tag line that I love:

"If you kick a tiger in the ***, you'd better have a plan to deal with his teeth"

Nice way to put it, I think

BTW...John Clark is one baaaad MO FO

6. 21 shooter

21 shooter

I have not read a lot of his books, but this one was not bad. I have read worse. And I did like the comment about dealing with the teeth.

7. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Red Storm Rising was a collaboration. Larry Bond gamed out the war scenarios. Tom Clancy described what was happening.

8. Alpha752

Alpha752

Agreed. Id like to see more John Clark, Dingo stuff, either past history, or an expanded Rainbow Six series.

9. minnshooter

minnshooter

Some movies with John Clark and Dingo would be awesome!!!

10. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Just finished it, definitly not his best work. However I did wonder about how easy it would be for terrorsits to pull off a stunt like described at the malls. After Clancy kind of foretold (no tinfoil hat stuff please) about a 747 being used as a missle, makes me wonder a little bit.

11. CVDean

CVDean

I have not been able to read Clancy since he made Jack Ryan President. He just killed the character with that move.

12. NorthernDancer

NorthernDancer

Clancy's books have been going downhill. He desperately needs an editor to cut. (Has he started believing his own press releases?)

I still like Red Storm Rising the best. That one does NOT feature Jack Ryan because he was involved in a copyright dispute with U.S. Naval Institute Press over the ownership of the character.

The later books have gotten increasingly repetative and less and less believable. I used to be one of the first to buy each book and would read it avidly. I didn't even finish Red Rabbit and thought that Teeth of the Tiger had about as much realism as the average Hollywood action film.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I like Clancy and the way he came from his kitchen table to stardom. (But don't like the way he dumped wife when he became sucessful after she supported his fledgling efforts.)

BTW, don't waste your time and money on any of the OP Center books. They seem to slap Clancy's name on the cover but they are not nearly as well written.

Jennifer

13. Tvov

Tvov

I did not know that. Gotta love GT. Red Storm Rising is also my favorite. Big mind blank, but the submarine book was very good (ha! just found it on the shelf. Hunt for Red October).

I read one "Op-Center" book, and that was enough.

Willem Defoe is a good actor, but he was not at all what I pictured John Clark to look and act like. Another mind blank, but I thought the book where Clark basically becomes a vigilante was a fun read, surprised it hasn't been made into a movie, seems ripe for it.

I guess I'll go out and pickup "Teeth". Want to wait for the price to drop. I can't believe how expensive just paperbacks are these days! (I sound like an old guy now...)

14. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

The Teeth of the Tiger, Part 1

What a rip, where's the rest of the story? I know, buy the next book when he writes it.

:soap:

John

15. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

You got it!!

Don't we wish.

Hollywood would probably blow it. :(

John Clark is one of my favorite characters - period.

16. five-0

five-0

I just finished it. Ditto to what NorthernDancer said.

Clancy used to be one of my favorite fiction writers, but his last few have really gone downhill.
    The Op-Center series has always sucked.

I do like Andy McNab (fiction and non-fiction) and I'm going to try Larry Bond.

17. roburado

roburado

I haven't liked Clancy's work since Debt of Honor/Executive Orders. I thought Rainbow Six was ham-handed. Someone said he needs an editor to cut stuff. Well, he needs an editor to keep him from copying and pasting stuff. I could almost swear that he uses exactly the same verbiage describing something in one part of the book and does a complete copy and paste to describe the same thing several hundred pages later. I think the above books, Red October, Red Storm Rising, and Without Remorse were the best.

I liked his non-fiction Special Forces book a heck of a lot, though. Oh yeah, Fighter Wing and the Marine MEU-SOC ones were ones I liked.

18. NorthernDancer

NorthernDancer

Did anyone notice that in the Hollywood version of Clear and Present Danger, the Jack Ryan character NEVER holds a gun. Even in the Columbian ambush, he never holds one of those evil things.

Thus does Hollywood distort good stories.

Jennifer

19. RugMan

RugMan

Yep. ;Q

Quite disappointing considering that in the book he mans a minigun.

20. Texas

Texas

Teeth of the Tiger is a good read, altough I agree that it's not as good as earlier books.

Regarding movies...
    What ticked me off is how they made "The sum of all fears" PC by replacing muslim terrorists with neo-natzis. The movie is quite good, but I just don't get why Hollywood is so worried about offenfing rag_head terrorists.

Tex