24,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talk to me about Tokarev pistols.

What are they like?
Worth the price?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
A close friend just bought a Romanian....

What a fun little pistol.

Works great, somewhat accurate.

And his at least, is sighted reasonably well.

If I may, pony up the extra $20.00 or so for the "hand select".

The one he got appears to be virtually brand new.

The only negative I will add is.... The days of really cheap ammo, have left the building.

Not terrible. but generally around $15,00 or so per box.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: I neglected to add, He got his through "Classic Firearms".

Between the pistol, hand select, shipping and booking fee at his FFL, he still came in around the $300.00 mark.

In my opinion, money well spent.

·
Watcher.
40,695 Posts
I have the 7.62x25 and the 9mm,I like both.I have plenty of combloc ammo to feed the x25 for a long time.I don't run hot ammo thru the 9mm,ball or standard hps.'08.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
I have two chambered for the Tok round -a CZ82 and a Zastava M57. I dont have a true Tokarev pistol, though the Zastava may be fairly close. Fun round, like the CZ better than the Zastava, can't beat it formthe money. Get it and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have two chambered for the Tok round -a CZ82 and a Zastava M57. I dont have a true Tokarev pistol, though the Zastava may be fairly close. Fun round, like the CZ better than the Zastava, can't beat it formthe money. Get it and enjoy!!!

Uh, are you sure your CZ82 isn't a 9X18mm? I'm thinking it's not really possible to get a CZ82 to chamber the longer 7.62 Tokarev round. Or could it be that you are referring to a CZ52, that is the single action roller locked pistol? That would make sense since they are in 7.62 Tokarev. Kind of confused here.

·
NRA Life Member
3,159 Posts
I also bought mine thru Classic Firearms and it is a lot of fun to shoot! I have a C&R FFL, so it was cheaper to get it.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I got my Romanian for $179 and a tin of ammo I believe it was 800 rounds for $89. That was about 8 years ago though. I like it because of the speed of the bullet, it will shoot as flat as a rifle for 100 yards. Also I hear it will go through a bullet proof vest which sounds wicked but bad guys wear armor these days.

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,536 Posts
Tokarev ammo or pistol?

I have a CZ-52 in 7.62x25mm and it is one of the most accurate pistols I own. The combination of a long sight radius, decent single action trigger and an extremely flat shooting cartridge means it is just ridiculously accurate at long range.

It is a lot of fun to shoot at the range too. It is a real fire-eater with a commanding bark. Not a terribly effective self defense cartridge with FJM, but I will bet that modern JHP loads should work just fine. I got mine to shoot up the incredibly cheap surplus ammo you used to be able to get ($80 for 1200 rounds). Sadly those days are gone forever which is why I never got a PPS-43 carbine/pistol to go with it.

Only downside to the CZ-52 is the firing pin is brittle (poor heat-treatment). You never want to dry fire this pistol with an original firing pin. There are aftermarket firing pins you can get that are much tougher. I just don't dry fire mine and it has been fine.

I still have somewhere around 3000 rounds of 7.62x25mm surplus ammo left so mine gets shot pretty regularly.

·
Know-It-All
2,464 Posts
I got a Romanian at J&G. Very happy with the quality plus it's a lot of fun to shoot.

·
Registered
441 Posts
the 7.62x25 mm round is very powerful and in military surplus loadings will penetrate soft body armor. I have a CZ -52 and am looking to buy a true tokarev pistol soon.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the power of the round is a way overblown. Its generally capable of standard 9x19 energy.
That brings up a point. I see I can get the Tokarev in Tokarev and 9mm Luger. Can I buy it in Tokarev and then get a second barrel in 9mm?

·
Watcher.
40,695 Posts
Tok makes a 9mm version,a bbl may require more $ than buying a 9mm version.I don't know if it's possible or what a smith would charge.'08.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Not really. Just good velocity due to light bullets and high sectional density due to the small caliber. Energy is nothing to write home about.

I think the power of the round is a way overblown. Its generally capable of standard 9x19 energy.
standard 9x19mm rounds will not penetrate level 3 soft body armor the 7.62x25 mm will, also it shoots with a much flatter trajectory than any 9x19mm round.

·
Banned
65,070 Posts
Too bad the ammo isn't as widely available as it had been in the past. My one and only Tok is a Norinco 9mm. She is an amazingly accurate pistol. How accurate? She groups as well as my HK P7 PSP pistols.

·
Watcher.
40,695 Posts
We got a few cases of tuna cans.'08.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have a Romanian tokarev. I love it. Great gun. Durable like a tank. Not pretty though, but it works everytime. I just wish I could get a stainless barrel for it for the surplus stuff. Well worth the small price. Get ya one.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts