Toilet Plunging techniques

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, Mar 7, 2014.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

So I have one toilet that has been clogged for at least a week or two from me putting dry cat poop in it without enough water so that is my stupidity but the basement toilet is now slow either from the pets using it when i am not home. :whistling:..or from me using it last night and filling it too full before flushing. So the one in the basement is slow and not working right and the third one works fine but the first one will have to come off and be snaked. Are there any secret snake ideas on toilets or ways to make them open up fully when slow? Thanks

2. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I can plunge a toilet like nobody's business. My 5 year old stops it up at least once a week.

The two toilet problems may be related if the clog made it far enough down the line. After a week I would think the toilet would have softened the clog up enough for it to be flushable.

3. mj9mm

mj9mm

did you pour cat litter down there? if so don't wait any longer to snake it, and use a big snake, a thin one will just curl up in a ball and not go through. if it was only cat poop it shouldn't take much effort unless it is piled up against other stuff that didn't fully clear earlier.

4. Knighj1

Knighj1

When we don't have a plunger, I usually use plungers once and discard, I used liquid dish washing soap. It may take half to entire bottle, but it really does work. Loosens the build up

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  5. gigab1te

gigab1te

Snaking a toilet is a DIRTY, messy (did I mention DIRTY) job- be sure to put newspaper or a tarp down to protect the floor and be careful about flicking "stuff" off the wire if you pull it out too fast. You might also try keeping the main body of the snake in a large plastic garbage bag as you work the wire out).

Here is a tip you should try: Before you try a snake, sometimes sticking a wire coat hanger down the toilet and working it around for a few minutes will dislodge or pull out whatever is clogging it. You want to make a smallish hook on the end. The coat hanger trick has saved me a few times over the years from having to break out the snake. Also, unless you have a uniquely designed toilet that came with a warning about using a snake in it, you should be able to snake it out without removing the toilet. Sometimes though, you do have to remove the toilet. Finally, they make a little snake that is designed for toilets, caled a closet auger.

If the obstruction is further into the drain (which it may be unless two of your toilets going bad at once is a coincidence), then you'll need to snake out the drain. I should also ask, have you tried working a plunger in both toilets?

6. snappy

snappy

Pour a five gallon bucket of water in there pretty fast. You'll be able to tell if it will handle it as the water will rise if not. This technique can save a lot of time. If it takes it okay pour another in it really fast, it will wash out the trap well

7. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking

Do you take said fish out of the water before scrubbing it or.....:confused:

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

8. itstime

itstime

F is next to d. Dish I believe.

9. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

What is "liquid fish washing soap?"

Where do you get it and what species of fish does it work on?

10. xromad

xromad Fraud

Try a closet auger before the snake.

11. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I will try that..never heard of it so it must be good. :supergrin:

12. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Hot water worked really nicely. The bottom level works fine now..just have to work on the upper one now.

13. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

The lower one came open with hot water and a plunger but the upper one I have not touched in a week or so but I do know what you mean. I was at a friend's home and he didn't tell me they were having problems with the city pipes clogging...until I went outside and saw things floating down the driveway so i guess it can happen anywhere and to anyone. :rofl:

14. Knighj1

Knighj1

I should have mentioned that I hate apple spell check. It's fixed now, but I meant dish soap

15. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I got the basement one open with hot water and a plunger. I will try and coat hanger trick and then an auger if necessary before removing the toilet. Thanks

16. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I have heard that dish soap works well. I was getting worried that I would only have one working throne room. :rofl:I like having them all over the house and in working order. :supergrin: I wonder if dish soap cleans the line out too?

17. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I find that making sure the plunger is full of water increases its efficiency greatly. And yes to HOT water if it's flowing at all.

18. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

19. johnd

johnd

if it was just cat poop or any poop then plunging and shampoo or DAWN will eventually get it done but if its litter you put down there you are screwed. Cat litter is mostly clay and all you can do with clay is to keep it wet and keep on flushing when the water level recedes. If the water isnt going down, you need to snake it to break it up

20. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

What, a straightened-out wire coat hanger? :supergrin: