Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a problem toilet in the house I moved into. It flushes fine and normal, the bowl fills with water, the tank fills and shuts off. When I come back 20 minutes later, the water has drained out of the bowl and only a little puddle is left. Does anybody know what is causing that?

I've Googled it of course, most of the advice seems to center around slow draining during the flush, not after everything has settled down and sitting idle in a normal state.

·
Registered
20,961 Posts
It can also be a vent issue at the roof. Winds can pull suction on the vents and suck the water out of the bowl.

Other than that the only way I could see the bowl losing water is a possible hairline crack. The toilet has an internal p trap built into the ceramic and the bowl should always hold a fixed amount of water. Also make sure the toilet is completely level. Maybe it has a little backwards lean on it allowing some of the water to go over the p trap.

/

·
Banned
600 Posts
Install a new flapper, there is chain attached to where you push the handle down and you will stop losing water. Just get the basic style and skip all those new fancy style they market now as they are nothing but a waste of money. Unless you got the new style commode with a button on top that requires exact fit style. Not seeing it so don't know what style you have. You may have to rebuild the bowl to tank if it's old. In that case get entire new commode as they save more water than older ones. As a venting issue on the stack that some mentioned. Nope! Very rarely seen but that will have entire plumbing on that stack will be an issue with all lavatories , laundry and kitchen with slow draining or gurgling sound.

·
Mr. Awesome
11,290 Posts
The flapper is not seating right. Either it’s warped an or the chain attached to it has to much slack an will fold up underneath the flapper an empty the tank. It it was me I’d check that first.
The bowl is empty, not the tank. It has to be a vent problem or a structural issue at the bowl.

·
Banned
600 Posts
Recommend replacing Flappers every 3 years because all the additives added in water at Water Treatment plants that destroys the rubber material. Silicone based is not all that great as it's not as near as good rubber.

·
Mr. Awesome
11,290 Posts
OP, is the tank full without refilling, when the bowl empties?

Reactions: Little Joe

·
Registered
43,667 Posts
If your fill valve is leaking you will have low bowl water. This version of the problem has nothing to do with the vent or bowl damage. But your description makes I sound like it fills and then goes down so it's less likely that this would be the problem. But worth a look.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhVpipC0BEw

·
Banned
600 Posts
If it's old then replace it entirely. Most people do when buying a new to them house as woman tends to not use someone else throne. It's like a dog scent marking! LOL
Check Flapper
Check fill valve operation and proper level height.
Check bowl level
tank to bowl seals
if unsure pull up toilet replace wax rings seals and new set of johnny bolts but only if closet flanges is good shape if not replace but this far I would call well qualified plumber to fix this issue right. Seen a lot of home owners really Mucked this section up so bad that had to call the plumber. Again your ****s is my bread n butter going on since 1982. :cheers:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Could also be a partial plug further down the line, I had exactly this problem, turned out to be a partial clog on the septic outlet, would slowly back up and then as the line drains back down the suction drains the water out of the toilet bowl.

·
Director of civil unrest
10,294 Posts
It can also be a vent issue at the roof. Winds can pull suction on the vents and suck the water out of the bowl.

Other than that the only way I could see the bowl losing water is a possible hairline crack. The toilet has an internal p trap built into the ceramic and the bowl should always hold a fixed amount of water. Also make sure the toilet is completely level. Maybe it has a little backwards lean on it allowing some of the water to go over the p trap.

/
This has happened to me. Many years ago I had the same exact problem with a toilet and that's what it was.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Dude you have Aliens tunneling beneath your house. They probably nicked the sewer line hence the slow drain problem. It would be the negative atmospheric pressure in the tunnel that is causing this.
Flush 1 pound of C4 rolled into the proper shape (think turd) with a remote detonator. That should cure the slow drain problem.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
If it's an old toilet, think about just replacing it; an American Standard Champion IV is only $200 or so and is a good, hard flushing unit that will ( it's actually in their video for it) flush a bucket of golf balls.
I crap golf balls all the time.

·
Registered
14,423 Posts
I crap golf balls all the time.
You might to see someone about that....

In all seriousness , we bought a new old house last year, and we completely renovated it; in the bathrooms, we put these units in and they are great, no low flow nonsense, full height, well made, really nice and worth the $.

·
Registered
25,972 Posts
If it's an old toilet, think about just replacing it; an American Standard Champion IV is only $200 or so and is a good, hard flushing unit that will ( it's actually in their video for it) flush a bucket of golf balls.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/American-S...2-piece-Toilet-12-in-Rough-In-Size/1000251039

$219 - but we did not like the cheap flimsy plastic seat that came with it - so I would add $$ for a better toilet seat.

The extra height is also really nice - I don't believe how we ever survived all these years with short toilets!

We used this toilet when we remodeled the master bath - liked it so much I added one downstairs -

This thing flushes like no other toilet - and the loads that use to plug up our old toilet go down without any issue.

·
Registered
14,423 Posts
https://www.lowes.com/pd/American-S...2-piece-Toilet-12-in-Rough-In-Size/1000251039

$219 - but we did not like the cheap flimsy plastic seat that came with it - so I would add $$ for a better toilet seat.

The extra height is also really nice - I don't believe how we ever survived all these years with short toilets!

We used this toilet when we remodeled the master bath - liked it so much I added one downstairs -

This thing flushes like no other toilet - and the loads that use to plug up our old toilet go down without any issue.
Thats the one; one of the best purchases we made.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts