GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
G
Man I envy you guys and love these threads. One or two more years and I'm out. It's really nice to know that I could retire at any time if the job pisses me off too much.
Gives you a certain sense of freedom, doesn’t it?

·
Venor ergo sum
3,297 Posts
Being fully retired is rife with problems unto itself. There are constant claims on you and your time and pre-retirement skills by wives, neighbors, strangers ........

Today has been particularly onerous. What with only getting to sleep until 10:15 AM, comes the social mystery of the day:

1) Wear this robe all day, drink coffee and eat bear claws
2) Put on some pants, drink coffee and eat bear claws.

'Tis a quandary.

I don't even want to go out to get my SS check outta the mailbox today ... perhaps tomorrow ... we'll see how I feel tomorrow.
Check? Don’t they have direct deposit up there in the great white north? That going to the bank stuff is for the birds.

·
Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)
2,807 Posts
I'll be at the gentlemen's club giving my retirement to Charity in the not-too-distant future, so I can respect your lifestyle. :)

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,456 Posts
8 more years :crying:

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I’ve been retired five years. My go to daily wardrobe is a t-shirt and jogging bottoms (sweats). Short sleeves, short pants in the summer, long sleeves, long pants in the winter. Good enough for a quick errand but cargo shorts/pants if I’m to be out and about. Can’t remember the last time I wore a starched shirt, let alone a coat and tie. Life is good. The church I attend has an average attendance of about 800 (at least it did before the chicom virus). Church attire is jeans, a polo shirt and sneakers (usually with socks). This includes the minister and elders.

·
tabula rasa
475 Posts
I retired 7 years ago. Started my second career two weeks later. You guys better stop doing nothing. Stop drinking. Start getting out. Go volunteer if you have to. Sense of purpose or it’s into a hole for you.

·
Registered
10,571 Posts
retired 10 years now... since last week i've been struggling to get up by 8:00, what the hell... then this morning i realize:honkie:,dang... we are in Eastern Time zone... visiting daughter #3... feel much better now... oh... always get pants on after getting out of bed... :hugs:

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I retired 7 years ago. Started my second career two weeks later. You guys better stop doing nothing. Stop drinking. Start getting out. Go volunteer if you have to. Sense of purpose or it’s into a hole for you.
I stay busy. Now that I’m retired I don’t see how I ever had time to work. But some days it’s nice to do nothing. Life is good!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I retired 18 months ago and still get up every morning at 5:00AM.....WTH????
I’ve been retired 18 months and I am all the way up to 6:00 or 7:00 AM!

·
Kwisatz Haderach in Training
3,902 Posts
Great thread guys, thanks. I'm looking at retiring in April, and I wonder about this stuff a lot- will I just be bored, how to stay active, etc etc
I dicn't say anything before because this thread seemed to be a humourous thread and I didn't want to dampen it.
Volunteer. I'm a site co'ord for meals on wheels on monday morns. Its a couple of hours - in at nine, out by 1030. I have 7 delivery drivers, and 1 lady in the kitchen at the church my area wofks out of. These people do not work for me. I just co-ordinate with the main office down town, and do the p-work.

Doesn't have to be neals on wheels. Most hospitals have a volunteer programs. I'v heard of one guy that drives the lot picks up people in a golf cart, and takes them to the hospital door, then take them back to their car. Go to the info desk to learn more.
Retire, take off a year and f-o. When you get ready, do for the others.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
22 more, give or take for the pension $$$ to start rolling in. I forget at times the demographics of GT. thankfully, I get along with most of yall. but I am a cranky curmudgeon for my age.
I want land, a lot of it, and a lot of ****ty trucks. I intend to be the last man driving when AI takes the world over.

·
Mountain Man
6,794 Posts
Pants?

COVID-19 has broken me of that habit. When I returned to work a few days a week mid-summer I found wearing pants to be quite uncomfortable. I am gonna be in trouble when and if things ever return back to normal and I have to wear pants everyday.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Yes, but it is nice to have these problems. The only real worry I have is explaining to my wife why I'm smiling all the time: she suspects me of having done something of which she would not approve.

·
Navy Veteran
5,271 Posts
I retired in 2012. I felt guilty about not being at work and helping out for about a month, then said the hell with it. I paid my time. Coffee pot still goes off in morning at 5:30. We stay busy with grandkids, and I play pickleball several days a week. We have small fishing boat and fish as much as we can. We usally make a winter 3500 mile trip to south and southeast. My oldest son and I go to about 6 Nascar races a year. Health is good for our age.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Bottom line for all of this, no matter what you do after retirement, it will be YOUR choice.

·
Formerly retired EE.
13,199 Posts
Being fully retired is rife with problems unto itself. There are constant claims on you and your time and pre-retirement skills by wives, neighbors, strangers ........

Today has been particularly onerous. What with only getting to sleep until 10:15 AM, comes the social mystery of the day:

1) Wear this robe all day, drink coffee and eat bear claws
2) Put on some pants, drink coffee and eat bear claws.

'Tis a quandary.

I don't even want to go out to get my SS check outta the mailbox today ... perhaps tomorrow ... we'll see how I feel tomorrow.
I figure as long as I am wearing clean underwear, I am doing my part.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts