close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

To XP or not to XP?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nightspell, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Nightspell

Nightspell Avid Nudist

Just ordered my parents a new Dell cause I don't have the time or patience to build one from scratch. Having no prior experience with Vista, which is now included with all new systems apparently, I have been planning on just wiping the sucker clean and putting a nice late-version of XP on there, first thing out of the box. Now I'm wondering though, should I just leave Vista on there? Knowing Microsoft's habit of releasing new OSs with tons of bugs, I wasn't even planning on using it myself until the next OS was almost ready to come out.

So I pose the question to those with some Vista experience:

Is it worth the headache, or should I just go safe and install XP???

2. NGWT

NGWT

If all they're doing will be using notepad then I'd say leave it on there.

If there is a hardware issue you can be sure that you'll have to find a way to get Vista back on there should you need to call Dell tech support.

So unless you plan on being their tech support, leave Vista on there.

3. BrushyBill

BrushyBill

It's more likely the case that if you buy a new machine with Vista installed that it'll be more problem free than if you muck with it and back-rev it to XP. In fact, if the hardware is new enough, you could make it less stable/reliable than with the original Vista install.

I would imagine that most of the major problems that people are going to have with Vista, short of actual major non-driver bugs, are actually going to be upgraders. New systems I bet work just fine.

4. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

If your parents are going to use the pc for browsing, email and Word and Excel documents they should be fine. The problems with Vista involve older software that is not compatible. Vista uses IE v.7 which I can't stand but if your parents are just casual Internet users they should be fine.

5. Bronson7

Bronson7

How much memory does this new pc have?
    Bronson7

6. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

I agree...

7. Nightspell

Nightspell Avid Nudist

It will have 1g of ram. I'm going to install Firefox and wean them off IE. I just don't feel right letting them rely on IE. It's just not right if I have the power to switch one more person over to Firefox... Half the reason I want to install XP is to just wipe all the crap that comes pre-installed on a PC. I just can't stand all that **** they come with, it drives me nuts. I know, it's not my computer, it's just a peeve.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Looks like I might give Vista a shot. :upeyes:

8. WhatYouWant

WhatYouWant Duh!

I have a Compaq I got when Vista was coming out that has the basic vista. I wiped and put Fedora on it and still can reload vista if I get the hankering (Compaq uses the local disk to restore).

9. lens

lens

I agree that a new major mfr built system with Vista is likely to be reasonably trouble-free.

Just go into the Add/Remove Programs and REMOVE all the junkware (especially Symantec/Norton products!) that Dell ships with their machines.

Make sure that a reliable AV and Firewall is installed and they should be good to go. NOTE: ZoneAlarm does NOT work with Vista at this time.

AVG Free http://www1.grisoft.com/doc/special-stay-protected-isw-free75cnv/us/crp/2