close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

To trade a kahr k9 stainless for a Glock 17?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by martinbr, Jan 9, 2006.

Tags:
  1. martinbr

martinbr

I have a kahr k9 that I traded awhile back for another gun that I had. I came out pretty good on the deal. The kahr came with seven mags with the deal. It has around 3000 rounds thru it now.

Now I have a chance to trade it in on a barely used glock 17. The glock comes with night sights installed. The party had to put it up forsale because of the family. It's going for $450.00 near my local gun shop. I know this is a good deal. Maybe had one session at the range.

I went down to local gun range and rented one, and it was very accurate for my needs. Much more than the kahr. The owner of the store said he would trade me for the kahr + 100.00 cash for the glock. The glock has very fat grips for my hands.

Now the kahr is pretty! It feels good and shoots great but not as accurate as the glock. So I don't know. I hate to pass up a deal like this. What do you guys think about glocks here? I mean I am not using the kahr for carry anyway. It just sits in the house or to the range occasionally. My only interest in guns is for target shooting anyway and a little home protection.

The other thing that concerns me is that I have heard that the kahrs don't hold up that well with long sessions at the range. Would the glock last longer and be more maintenance free? With the kahr, you have to put a re-coil spring in every 3000 rounds. I know the springs are cheap, but 3000 rounds! That's not a lot of ammo to rack up quick for target practice sessions.
    Anyone?
    Martin

2. warmrain

warmrain

AFAIK all autos are going to need springs sometime... Yes, the pistol will function fine if you go longer, but it beats up the frame. You can tell when the pistol starts to throw it's brass farther that the slide velocity has increased - the spring(s) is weakening. Replacement at 3,000 is nothing, some 1911s recommend 800 rounds, others 1500 rounds...

That's not a reason to make the trade.

Do you value your K9 at $350? That's the deal...

I think that Kahrs don't hold up (the steel ones at least) is rubish. They are tough little guns IMHO.

If you cannot afford two pistols then you should have the one that makes sense to you, the pistol you like best... If you are not carrying then the smaller dimensions of the Kahr may not be important to you...

If you are having a tough time with the decision and you like them both... See of you can afford them both... The deal is the $450 price of the Glock. It's not such a great deal when you give your Kahr away for $350 (IMHO).

3. Halojumper

Halojumper

Is there any way you can keep them both? In my opinion, they each serve different niches and it would be nice to keep them both.

4. seed

seed

I like Kahrs fine, but no where near as much as I like my Glocks. That said, if it was straight across I would make the trade. However, warmrain brought up the excellent observation of the value the dealer is placing on your Kahr. To me, the Kahr is worth more than $350 and therefore I would not make the trade. Rather, see if you can't purchase the Glock and save the Kahr for a later sale and or trade for something else, if you are still inclined to get rid of it in the future. Or negotiate with the dealer for a better deal.

P.S. Don't jump into anything before you check out the G19...You may like it a lot more than the G17. If you do, you can find all kinds of good examples on sites like gunbroker, auctionarms and gunsamerica.

5. snail50

snail50 Parabellum...

$350 for a K9 with 7 mags?

The dealer is trying to stick his shank in you in a most heinous manner, IMO.

6. Halojumper

Halojumper

I agree. I bought a gun from a dealer, a few months ago, for $376. Recently, when I wanted to get a Glock, I asked them how much I could get on trade in. They said $150 bucks. Not only did I not go for it, I bought the Glock elsewhere.

7. seed

seed

Hold on...Were you going to give the dealer all seven mags?

8. martinbr

martinbr

Thanks for everybodys replies on this trade matter. I have decided to keep the kahr. Will probably save up for a glock. I just can't see giving this fine weapon away for $350.00. Patience is a virtue.:)
    Martin

9. snail50

snail50 Parabellum...

good move.

the dealer would've been laughing all the way to the bank...especially after he turned around and listed the K9 and 1 mag for $500, then the other 6 mags for $40 each.

10. warmrain

warmrain

I think you're being harsh on the dealer, I suspect he would have uncluded 2 magazines for $500... ;) ;c ;c ;c

11. snail50

snail50 Parabellum...

;z yeah, but they'd be the two most-used mags. ;Q ;c

12. warmrain

warmrain

martinbr,

Glocks are afforable enough anyway that I think you can save up and keep your eyes open. Look also at www.gunsamerica.com (there are some reputable dealers there) and www.budsgunshop.com (that has good reviews on other sites, but I have not used them). Also check out Sportsmen's Warehouse if you have one nearby.

13. supernova333

supernova333

14. FL-obiwan

FL-obiwan

Good move in keeping the Kahr. You were being hosed. Besides, the Kahr and G17 are completely different sized guns. The Kahr is much easier to CCW. Save up for the Glock.

15. supernova333

supernova333

+1

Agreed, I'm sure you'd regret selling/trading the Kahr. Not that you shouldn't get a Glock, they are great too. I have a K40 and a G19 and like them both very much.

16. martinbr

martinbr

These are great prices, but cdnninvesments does not ship to CA. I don't know about the other place but living in CA your dictated by 10 round mags. That's why I'm getting outa here when I retire. Can't stand it here.Most of these place sell with hi-cap mags, so I have to buy locally.
    thanks anyway.
    Martin

17. Halojumper

Halojumper

That's similar to my setup. I have a K40 and a G23. Wouldn't want to part with either of them, though the Glock is my daily carry gun.

18. LGCubana

LGCubana Guns & Cigars

Was the dealer expecting the extra 5 mags, with the K9 ?
    If not, I would do the trade & sell the mags for $20 each.

19. tnktm

tnktm

You have to think in terms of retail and wholesale values if trading, almost like a car. The dealer cannot give you what the pistol is worth in trade because he has to mark it up and sell it, and the price has to be a good bit less than a new gun or everyone will buy the new gun. The question becomes: how much is the dealer trying to make? I can stand for them to make some money off of me - that keeps them in business and gives them money to order more inventory for me to look at. Another thing to look at (at least in my state) is taxes. We have a 9.125% sales tax, but on a trade you only pay tax on the difference. If by trading you don't quite get the value you want, but you save $40 dollars in taxes, sometimes you might still come out all right trading.

20. snail50

snail50 Parabellum...

if you're interested in selling any of the K9 mags, send me a PM.