Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Muddy Rebel
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not long ago, I had a G21SF stolen from me and then recovered roadside. It was a little rashed, looked to have been thrown from a moving vehicle, and looks like it sat in snow\rain for a few days\weeks. Anywho, I sent it back to glock after evidence handed it over to me just to have em do a once over b4 putting her back into carry rotation.

I sent it out about 2 weeks ago with a note explaining everything. Not getting antsy or anything, just inquiring what i should expect from them as far as what they might do to the pistol and what notifications on it's status they might give me.

Thanks

-chris

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
Did you call them before you sent it in?

·
Muddy Rebel
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, they told me to ship it whenever, and to leave a note in the box explaining reason for sending and to call the day of sending. When i called the day i sent it in, the guy on the other end said "ok, thanks...we'll take care of it."

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I don't know if this will help you out but a few months ago I purchased a 2nd gen glock 17 at a gun show. I decided to send it back to glock to have them give it a once over. I could of done this myself but decided to send it to them anyway. I sent it second day which cost me $20.00 bucks. When glock received the pistol they went through it completely replacing all the internal parts other then the barrel. They also measured everything to make sure it was in spec. They did not charge me nothing and also paid for the return shipping. Since this experience with them I have gone all glock. I think they have the best customer service in the market. I wasn't even the original owner. That's pretty hard to beat. I would like to see if sig or h&k would do this.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The turn around time was a little over two weeks. At the time they said they were very busy but no complaints here. Also to go along with my first thread I think sigs and h&k's are great guns. But after 26 years of buying and selling guns and losing alot of money in between ive found something that works well i'm sticking with it. I have been spending money on spare mags.ammo and more training classes instead.

·
Muddy Rebel
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did they call you to alert you on status updates? to let you know it was on its way back to you?Or did it just show up at your door with the UPS guy one day?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
did they call you to alert you on status updates? to let you know it was on its way back to you?Or did it just show up at your door with the UPS guy one day?
Speaking from experience, don't expect them to call you with an update. If you want updates, you'll have to call them, yourself. Give them 2-3 weeks before you call, though. They do get very busy.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I did the same thing. I sent my glock in for service with a note attached. Glock returned my pistol in about two weeks, but never notified/called me to let me know in advance. The gun came back with a work order and free of charge. They also paid for the return shipping.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I don't know if this will help you out but a few months ago I purchased a 2nd gen glock 17 at a gun show. I decided to send it back to glock to have them give it a once over. I could of done this myself but decided to send it to them anyway. I sent it second day which cost me $20.00 bucks. When glock received the pistol they went through it completely replacing all the internal parts other then the barrel. They also measured everything to make sure it was in spec. They did not charge me nothing and also paid for the return shipping. Since this experience with them I have gone all glock. I think they have the best customer service in the market. I wasn't even the original owner. That's pretty hard to beat. I would like to see if sig or h&k would do this.

Did they send the gun directly back to you or did you have to go through a dealer?

·
Registered
139 Posts
...I sent it second day which cost me $20.00 bucks. ...

Shipped it for $20.00 second day? Who did you ship it with?
Thats sounds like a great deal. The last time I shipped a handgun back to the manufacture, UPS demanded I ship it next day air and the cost was $65.00.
I sure wish I could find a way to ship a handgun cheaper. Any suggestions?

·
NRA Life Member
5,447 Posts
I sent one in for the frame recall, and they had to order a new frame from Austria to get the same serial number (well, with a 1 in front of the serial number). It took about 6 weeks, which is what they told me when I called before shipping.

When I got it back, they had replaced ALL the internals, and the frame. It was virtually a new gun.

They test fired it, and returned it with the packing slip with all the replaced parts listed. They removed an aftermarket connector I had left in the gun, but sent it back in a baggie in the box.

They can send directly back to an individual, it doesn't have to go through an FFL (in Alabama, at least).

Best part: all done at No Charge except the shipping costs to send it to them.

BTW: When I called to check at 6 weeks, they couldn't tell me an estimated ship date. But it arrived in less than another week anyway.

·
Muddy Rebel
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They called me today and told me nothing was wrong with the pistol, only cosmetic damage to the slide. I told them to refinish it, and they are charging $45, which is fine.

Will the refinished slide look like the original finish do ya think?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Shipped it for $20.00 second day? Who did you ship it with?
Thats sounds like a great deal. The last time I shipped a handgun back to the manufacture, UPS demanded I ship it next day air and the cost was $65.00.
I sure whish I could find a way to ship a handgun cheaper. Any suggestions?
I also used UPS recently to send a firearm back to Beretta for repair, and it did cost me around $65. I was digging around to see if it is a federal law requiring a carrier to ship the gun overnight. I found this FAQ:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

Quoting Q/A B8:

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
There's a requirement for notifying the carrier that you're sending a firearm, but I did not see a requirement for sending it overnight. I wonder if it is UPS's policy to make you pay more for sending guns; or is it a blanket policy to cover all the different state laws that may exist. Does anyone know?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts