close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

To snap cap or not to snap cap?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JParham, Feb 9, 2012.

1. JParham

JParham Member

That is the question.

2. Garndtz

Garndtz

3. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

Do you mean to use a snap cap while dry firing?
    No need with a Glock, dry fire away!!

4. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

3 days ago I actually asked a guy named Anthony at the Glock tech department in Smyrna about this and he said, verbatim, "you shouldn't dry fire a Glock any more than is necessary for maintenance."

I think I've dry-fired it about 600 times since that conversation.

5. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

Must be his personal opinion! :upeyes:

6. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Yup...AZoom makes some nice caps, and they're pretty cheap insurance for your pistol.

7. Pop Smoke

Pop Smoke

Yes. But, avoid the plastic snap caps. The bodies of them can tend to flex and get stuck when chambering them. I've had this issue happen several times in class when working loading and unloading exercises with students. I hate having to break out a rod to get it out only to be forced to toss it into the trash.

I've gone to the metal body snap caps (think they are A-Zoom).

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  8. BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

I've probably dry-fired my G22 ten thousand times.

9. rauchman

rauchman

Snap Cap!!!!

I, like most, dry fired my Glock w/out a snapper. I believe the manual actually stated that snap caps weren't necessary for dry firing. Well, I bought my Gen2 G19 used, so have no idea of the actual history of the pistol. I dry fired that pistol A LOT. Probably north of 30K reps of dry fire. One day I dry fired and it "felt" different. I also couldn't rack the slide. It would move a little, but wouldn't fully open. I took a big screwdriver and was able to pry it open.

What I saw was this....
    [​IMG]

As I understand it, repeated smacking of the striker/firing pin bashes the backside of the breach. This will lead to metal fatigue of that area and eventually, it will crack.

I now ALWAYS use some form of snap cap.

10. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK

Well ****. I guess that answers that.

Where can I buy cheap snap caps? Someone mentioned he got a big bag of plastic ones for like 5 dollars, but I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

11. Sippo

Sippo

Suggestion. (But not a cheap one) LaserLyte sells a caliber-specific laser cartridge which emits a short laser blast each time you dry fire. Great dry fire practice.

12. 2005 Vette

2005 Vette

It's good insurance and they are relatively cheap, i have the A Zooms and they work great. Midway carries them.

13. JParham

JParham Member

How long do they last? Like how many times can you fire on one before you need to use another? Or will I be able to tell?

14. ericridebike

ericridebike

I took a training class recently and the instructor suggested not using snap caps for dry fire in general. He said don't get used to loading anything when dry firing. His rationale was to prevent accidental/negligent discharges. He said if you always do dry firing training with no mag and and empty chamber, chances of AD/ND are drastically reduced. Loading the gun with a snap cap for dry fire gets you used to loading your gun when you do it. If distracted when doing this, a live round could mistakenly be loaded and result in a AD/ND. Makes sense to me. He said the most probable thing that might happen to your gun is a broken firing pin. If so, most are in the same ballpark or less, cost-wise as a pack of snap caps.

15. sentian

sentian

Your instructor probably had to make that statement knowing there would be first timers taking that training class, so he had to talk about safety first. Personally, i'm new to the striker fired mechanism but my opinion is i'd like the extra thousands of rounds of extra uses if it meant the use of snap caps.

16. tonyparson

tonyparson

17. novasquid

novasquid

i picked up the azoom snap caps for my 10mm, and noticed that within 24 hours of dry firing that the rubber piece in the primer area already has a noticeable indent from being struck. also, i'm finding flecks of metal and paint from the snap caps that are being worn off during each dry fire. it's all over the slide area. makes it a pain to clean off.

18. sciolist

sciolist

Unfortunately, not too long for serious use. The case rims fall apart from repeated trigger resetting. You can get an idea of the life left in the resilient pad by the change in sound/feel when the striker drops (can also compare to an unused cap for reference).

It helps to unload and re-chamber the cap periodically, so the extractor grabs a different part of the rim and the stiker hits the pad differently.

What would be nice, would be a cap machined out of brass, with replacable pads.

19. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

20. MarkCO

MarkCO Millennium Member CLM

Use of snap caps or not, there is NO way that fracture occurred due to dry fire. Fatigue is caused by a fully revesing load. Yep, that happens during firing, not dry-firing. Your pistol was likely a trainer or a range use pistol with a huge nunmber of rounds on it. The impact strength of the breechface is well above the amount of energy delivered by the striker.

Just say no to starting internet rumors.:upeyes:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012