Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been customizing my Gen 3 29 and am considering porting it. I have a KKM barrel as well as the factory and thinking if I port the slide and KKM I will have the OE barrel to put back if needed. Who's done what and where ? I'm leaning towards Magnaport but am open to suggestion.

Thanks !

Pete

·
Registered
13,831 Posts
Do you like loud..........er?
That 29 is going to bark like a big dog if you port it.

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
9,558 Posts
As long as you don't plan on using it for a defensive pistol, rock on.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I'd personally get a threaded barrel and comp, or just an extended ported barrel. That way there isn't a permanent modification to your pistol you might not like, you don't lighten the slide, and you don't lose any velocity. Unless you absolutely don't want to add any length.

Reactions: snowbird.40

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I'd personally get a threaded barrel and comp, or just an extended ported barrel. That way there isn't a permanent modification to your pistol you might not like, you don't lighten the slide, and you don't lose any velocity. Unless you absolutely don't want to add any length.
This ^^

My experience is the shorter the gun the less effect porting has. If you think about it from a leverage perspective - the longer the lever (barrel) the more leverage the force generated by the ports will have.

Before cutting a slide, I’d experiment with a threaded barrel/compensator. You can always sell them later.

On a side note - one of my all time favorite Glocks is my 21c. The ports make that gun incredibly flat shooting - the difference is almost unbelievable. I expected the same from my 20c and it just doesn’t make the same difference on the 10mm. I will always pick up the 21c over the 21 but I could go either way between the 20 and 20c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
This ^^

My experience is the shorter the gun the less effect porting has. If you think about it from a leverage perspective - the longer the lever (barrel) the more leverage the force generated by the ports will have.

Before cutting a slide, I’d experiment with a threaded barrel/compensator. You can always sell them later.

On a side note - one of my all time favorite Glocks is my 21c. The ports make that gun incredibly flat shooting - the difference is almost unbelievable. I expected the same from my 20c and it just doesn’t make the same difference on the 10mm. I will always pick up the 21c over the 21 but I could go either way between the 20 and 20c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought the same about the leverage, until I heard the exact opposite about the 17C/19C/26C. A reason a shorter guns ports could be more effective is there would be a higher pressure at the ports, which might overcome the reduced leverage.

I don't have enough experience with ports/comps to have an opinion on it.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
I dont know..personally I never saw a lot of advantage with barrels under the 19/23 length I loved my glock 23 ported I dont think it would do quite as much with a shorter barrel...

no first hand experience though with the shorter barrel portings. I do know that all the BS you will read and get parroted about them for SD are mostly just BS, you dont lose night vision, it doesnt really do anything bad..it IS louder but should get you back on target quicker. the lone scenario I can come up with would be one of those things that would be so "rare" id be willing to risk it(and did with the 23) and thats shooting it somehow(maybe in a struggle? maybe from retention) where the ports would be lined up with your face...like I said its something I was willing to accept for the advantages oit otherwise afforded...quicker followup/less muzzle flip..

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
The "DPM Recoil Reduction System" costs $143.66 !!

I shoot HOT loads in my G29, with a Wolff 21# spring/rod; I don't think the recoil is
that "big", and after reading reviews on the "DPM" I don't see the cost vs. effect
being worth it.
Don’t know what reviews you’ve read. I’ve found it provides about 25% reduction in perceived recoil.

It provides more benefit the heavier the recoil. So for 9mm, it’s not going to help you much. .45/10mm provides a noticeable difference.

You can get it for half that price from other suppliers.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
I don’t know about aftermarket porting- I suppose it would depend on the specific job. Standard Glock porting is entirely suitable for defensive use, and has a notable beneficial effect on how the gun shoots. I was issued ported glocks for a long time. Still am, but i switched to a 17MOS early this year.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Porting sure helped my 44M Alaskan, EGW did 8 ports and itt definitely made a diff. I get the "try another barrell" concept but I really don't need 3 barrels for one gun. The DMS certainly isn't cheap but the Wolff setup is doable for cheap

·
Registered
159 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
As long as you don't plan on using it for a defensive pistol, rock on.
Why not?

I carried a ported Glock for a decade. I am retired LE and know about retention shooting. With a ported gun you just train to cant the pistol a few degrees outboard when shooting from retention. The difference in muzzle flash at night is minimal. And it really does tame muzzle flip.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Yep. All the stuff about ported glocks not being suitable for defensive or cqb is from folks that have no idea what they’re talking about. They work great for that.
Why not?

I carried a ported Glock for a decade. I am retired LE and know about retention shooting. With a ported gun you just train to cant the pistol a few degrees outboard when shooting from retention. The difference in muzzle flash at night is minimal. And it really does tame muzzle flip.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Nah. Just grip tighter from the shoulder forward. The following works for all handguns. Put the money into milling the slide for an RMR.

Paul Sharp's "Recoil Mitigation"

Training points:

Mitigating muzzle rise from the wrist (Videos 1-4):

1) Lock wrist on each hand that is touching the gun

2) Hard pinky finger pressure

3) Push thumb(s) forward hard

4) Proper grip: High in the tang, high under the trigger guard. Forward thumb on support hand. Check by placing trigger finger and support hand thumb on frame. They should be equal on the frame (point up to check).

Test by attempting to bend the wrist upward. Instructor places finger on wrist tendon to verify (Video 5). The shooter will tighten up and prevent as much movement as possible.

Mitigating side to side muzzle movement (Videos 6-7):

1) Tighten the elbow of each hand on the gun

2) Tighten the shoulder of each hand on the gun

Test by attempting to move the gun in a circle.

Mitigating gun push backwards (Videos 8-13) :

1) Use hard push-pull. Some people think push-pull doesn’t work in a fight so an alternative is to bring your elbows down a bit to pinch your palms together.

2) Push from the primary hand shoulder.

3) If support hand is on the gun, pull back into the primary hand.

4) Nose over toes. Stance is aggressive and nose should be over or slightly past the forward toe. There are no stances in a fight, but this is the optimal case.

Instructor tests by pressing with continuous pressure against the shooter's hand. Their head should not move very much. The instructor should watch for head movement by comparing to a static item in the background. Properly done, the shooter's head will barely move during recoil. Watch the shooter's toes. They should not rise.

Video 14 is a summary of training points.

The only addendum I have is that you can pinch your palms together a bit to tighten your groups up at speed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts