To port or Comp, that is the question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JTknives, Feb 18, 2010.

1. JTknives

JTknives

I have a glock 20 and i love it. I originally wanted a G20C but thy don't make one in an SF. So i decided to get the Glock 20SF and try it out then mod it later so i have a G20C-SF. I am going to do it so its not a question of should i or should i not. its a question of is the Standard glock porting as good as a Lone Wolf Comp. I have considered getting a threaded barrel and just using a comp but that increases my OAL which is not really that great as this is my daily carry gun. If its that much better then i will deal with it. I will be doing all the porting in house at my place of work. we are a machine shop and have all the EDM machines to do the porting so thats no big deal. An EDM is what Mag-na-port uses to do there porting. It removes the metal using electricity and a graphite electrode. you shape the electrode on an CNC mill to the shape you want your port to be. Its a simple process and easily done, the nice thing is that it does not leave any sharp burs on the slide or the barrel like if you where to mill it. My boss has a ported Glock that he is going to bring in and we will take measurements off that. Thanks guys

2. bac1023

bac1023

I don't care for ported Glocks.

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

Unless the stock gun is uncontrollable I wouldn't port a carry gun. The increased noise alone is a reason to avoid it. If you are having trouble controlling the 20 maybe a different caliber would be a good choice. Since you are determined to do it I would port the factory slide/barrel. A comp would be pretty ungainly on a gun that is already too large for daily carry.

4. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

I bought a G38 barrel and had it muzzle ports put in by LoneWolf (who also uses the EDM method). I use it in my G39 in my EDC gun.

I'm a fan of factory barrels for a carry/sd gun.

5. hatidua

hatidua

I could see this question as it applies to a .338 or .416, but not a little Glock pistol.

6. JTknives

JTknives

It is in no way hard to control as is. but when i run hot loads down the pip i would like a little less muzzle rise.

7. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

Im curious, have you shot compensated pistols? I just ordered a non comp BBl for my .23C yesturday. I've had it for 10 years and finally got sick of the noise. It's painfully loud. It isn't worth the slight benefit. I'm trying to be helpfull. If you must, go for the glock porting. But...

I was at the range 2 days ago with my 15 yo daughter. I had put a few mags down range then took off the hearing protection while she shot some .22lr in my 10-22. It's an outdoor range and we were the only ones there, so while she was busy doing something else, I picked up the glock to put a few more on target. OUCH! I hadn't put the earmuffs back on. It was painfull and my ears started ringing. It's been 2 days and my hearing still hasn't fully returned. I can't imagine what would happen if I had to shoot indoors in a hallway or something. Hence the Lonewolf BBl on it's way.

8. mclaren

mclaren

Even a .22 rifle requires hearing protection. Just because you cannot physically feel pain it does not mean that damage is not being done. Any .40 compensated or not should make the ears ring.
    In a defensive situation, noise will not be noticed as much as you think. The night blindness/burns I think is a slightly more relevant reason to avoid ports for carry.
    I carry a 20C and don't worry about any of those 3 factors. It does the important things well.
    Plus, if you go ported, you can always swap in a stock barrel. The only way you can go ported in a non "C" Glock is an extended barrel, which i dont prefer for carry.
    Just my 2 cents.
    My 20C has very little muzzle flip/rise. I have not shot anything from DT or BB yet, I suspect I will feel it when it goes off.
    One of the great advantages of having EDM capability is the option to do sub-compacts that were never factory ported. I have never seen one but I think it would be sweet for a G29/G30

9. JTknives

JTknives

Thanks what i thought, a glock 29C would be sick :cool: