close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

To PETA... with Love

Discussion in 'The Lighter Side' started by StoneGiant, Jun 21, 2004.

1. StoneGiant

StoneGiant

2. Roger C

Roger C

3. StoneGiant

StoneGiant

Now, surely you don't think this will be locked, do you?

;f

P.S. Doesn't PETA stand for People Eating Tasty Animals?

4. NeoG19

NeoG19 Go Bulls

5. okie

okie GT Mayor

;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

6. srhoades

srhoades

Unless they plan on eating all of those, I find it highly unnecessary.

7. AMX

AMX

^6

8. StoneGiant

StoneGiant

What do you want to bet that srhoades and AMX have never hunted anything in their lives?

Any takers?

9. AMX

AMX

Sounds fun - I want 10% of any wins (it's about me, after all ;f).

Anyway, killing anything just to annoy someone is wrong.
    Even if "someone" is himself extremely annoying.

10. StoneGiant

StoneGiant

I think you're missing the point. Most hunters adhere to a strict code of ethics. Personally, I never shoot anything I'm not planning to eat (with the exception of "varmints", the killing of which are considered a public service).

More to the point, PETA is considered to be a terrorist organization, based upon mal-formed political bias against those who believe that humans are innately superior to animals. IMHO, while there are indeed concerns that should be addressed with regard to cruelty, I'd much rather have a cancer-fighting drug on the market 5 years quicker because it's been tested in chimps than see 10,000 human beings die.

PETA is a good concept gone terribly awry... Like Lindon Johnson's "Great Society", it attempted to right a wrong, but went too far.

P.S. My daughter has a T-shirt that adequately expresses my personal opinion. It says:

"I didn't climb to the top of the evolutionary tree to become a vegetarian."

:cool:

11. AMX

AMX

Interesting - we don't get quite that grade of "animal welfarists" here...

But I still think the picture is in bad taste; as you said:
    but that picture says "Hey look, we killed all these animals just because we know you don't like it".

12. StoneGiant

StoneGiant

That's your opinion. The limit for goose hunters in certain states is quite high (in the range of 10 geese per person; I've seen some locations with limits of 35 per hunter). In Texas, many people I know would only hunt a couple of times per season, but store their game in large freezers for eating later in the year.

It's all about wildlife conservation. And someone with a liberal bias against hunting, or someone who does not understand that the hunter's first priority is ensuring a future sport for himself and his sons or daughters, is liable to misunderstand the situation.

Have you ever hunted? Or are you basing your opinions on articles written by liberal elitists who rarely venture outside their concrete jungles?

13. AMX

AMX

Should I call "False Dilemma fallacy" now?
    'Cause the answer is neither-nor; I base my opinion on those of people defending themselves against such liberal extremists.

My problem with the picture is, actually, not the hunting (neither the fact, nor the scale), but the misbehaviour; displaying their quarry like that is simply tasteless, and it suggests that they might actually have hunted not for food, but only to insult somebody.

That is what's definitely wrong.

14. StoneGiant

StoneGiant

You must have fascinating mental powers to determine that the hunt was conducted for the sole purpose of destroying a bunch of geese and insulting PETA. A possibility, perhaps, but none of the hunters I’ve ever met would even consider such actions, much less carry them out. My guess is that you don’t know much about hunting, and have never experienced the camaraderie or sense of respect for nature and the wildlife that is hunted.

Oh, and by the way, you still haven't answered the question: Have you ever hunted anything in your life?

15. AMX

AMX

Please read my post, don't just skim over it.
    A) I never "determined that the hunt was conducted for the sole purpose of destroying a bunch of geese and insulting PETA"; I merely said that the photo suggests that they might have done so.
    B) I did answer that question; I just didn't make it easy to spot.

16. srhoades

srhoades

Let me clarify my position. I thik people who belong to PETA are severly deluded. They place the right of an animal above a human. So I have no quarrell with insulting them.
    I do have a problem if people shoot animal just for the heck of it. And no I have never hunted, aside from shooting mice in my house with a bb gun.
    But I don't have to do crack to know that it is bad, or jump off a cliff to test the theory of gravity. Personal experience is not neccesarry when there is enough objective information to make and informed decision. I don't need the subjective experience of hunting to tell me that killing for sport, other than the purpose of eating what you kill, serves not rational purpose other than to serve as an entertainmnet venue.

17. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

By my count it looks like a 5 goose limit per hunter… don’t know about the rest of the goose hunters here, but my family & I can eat 5 geese in 3 weeks without “burning” ourselves out on it for sure!

18. StoneGiant

StoneGiant

Michigun,

My hypothesis is that the folks who are upset by the picture are either:

1) anti-hunting; or

2) insulted by the hunters feelings about PETA.

Additionally, there seems to be an automatic assumption that killing the geese was done solely to make a statement, because otherwise they'd have to admit that the hunters were having a good time, enjoying tremendous fellowship, and had a wry sense of humor. After all, every sensitive Liberal knows that hunting is for fascists only.

Sad....

;T

19. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Yup, I got that StoneGiant.

Wish I'd have thought about doing something like that, last fall, when we ended up having a pretty good day pheasant hunting... ^c (see attached)

20. StoneGiant

StoneGiant

Nice set of birds!

;f