Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should we, or shouldn’t we use any type of oil on metal magazines?

Is the answer any different for different pistols or rifles?

I have heard the recommendation never to get any oil anywhere near a magazine since it can get into the ammo and cause problems, so on polymer magazines I can see the logic in never using any kind of oil. But for all metal mags, I have been told to lightly wipe them down with oil by some, and keep them bone dry by others.

So any help on this would be much appreciated.
Thanks, and happy holidays.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
At most, I will wipe down the inside and outside of a mag with a very slightly oily rag to remove residue, and then wipe it down with a dry rag. I prefer a dry mag, or one that has an almost imperceptible oil residue. So little oil that you are not sure that its really there.

The goal here is to keep the ammo bone dry and free from migrating oil that might infiltrate a primer or case mouth.

·
Registered
33,224 Posts
At most, I will wipe down the inside and outside of a mag with a very slightly oily rag to remove residue, and then wipe it down with a dry rag. I prefer a dry mag, or one that has an almost imperceptible oil residue. So little oil that you are not sure that its really there.

The goal here is to keep the ammo bone dry and free from migrating oil that might infiltrate a primer or case mouth.
I agree with this :)

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
I use Armor All on Glock mags. Some of my rimfire mags have silicon dry lube in/ on them. Other mags stay fairly dry and sometimes clean.

·
Registered
12,010 Posts
I like to lightly oil my magazines and wipe them down dry inside and out with a patch. I have used Lucas gun oil for the last couple of decades, and never had any problems. I even use Lucas on my Boberg where they recommend that extreme grease. The Lucas does just fine and the pistol is reliable. I'm sold on Lucas gun oil.

You can do a search and find lots of hits on the pros and cons of lubing magazines. Also search on the effects of oil on primers. It's undeniable that oil will kill primers and attract dirt. But modern ammo is sealed up pretty good.

I've tried the old soaking ammo directly in WD-40 and other lubricants and never had any problems with the ammo firing. Of course I didn't leave it in the lubricant for more than a few weeks, and that kind of test is pretty extreme.

I also recall a couple of occasions where a loose 45 ACP round in my pocket has gone through the washing machine accidentally. And our washing machine uses lots of water. Never had a dud yet. Every round has always fired normally.

Here's some random hits I got when I searched.

http://www.smithandwessonforums.com/forum/armory/17424-another-ammo-myth-shot-heck.html

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-39-oil-vs-primers/

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=10505

ETA WD-40 is one of the worse penetrating oils on the market. I do a lot of automotive and machine work. WD-40 is absolutely useless for either penetrating or lubricating rusted parts.

·
Native Mainiac
27,685 Posts
I got some 1911 mags 30 years old that I've never seen the inside of...and they work just fine. But then again, I'm not in the habit of rolling them through the mud. I do wipe them down once in a while with a silicon cloth after shooting.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
In the past I used oil to wipe down the mags to prevent rust during storage. I've never been concerned with oil affecting the ammo as I can't see it happening for me as I don't keep the mags loaded.

Now though I use a silicone cloth to wipe over most gun parts, including the metal mags, after cleaning. It has done an excellent job preventing rust these past few years and I don't get oil all over my hands when handling items.

Reactions: MSP Sarge

·
Registered
6,492 Posts
This might sound strange, but I use a spray on furniture wax on the inside and outside of mag bodies, followers, springs, and floor plates/mag bases, buff dry with a micro fiber cloth, then reassemble.

The wax fills the microscopic pores of both metal and plastic mag parts and dries, so there's nothing left behind to attract and hold powder residue and dirt like oil based lubricants are infamous for, yet still offers a fine layer of lubricity and ease of cleaning.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
A lot of overthinking on the whole contamination issue.....

Some years back, more than a few folks performed their own "tests" and few rounds (if any) made inert by firearm lubricants. Add to the fact that the majority of modern center fire ammunition is practically waterproof at both ends.

To answer your question, no magazine, either inside or out needs anything but a wipe down with a dry cloth.

·
Registered
15,725 Posts

This is spot-on.

Some metal magazines will require a little oil to keep the rust off , but that oil should be such a fine film that it's almost not even there.....
I service a lot of pistols for people, and one of the main, and most preventable issues that I see is over-oiling, to include the magazines.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts