To MASK.... Or NOT TO MASK..... That is the question....

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by LinuxLover, Jun 9, 2020.

1. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Interesting blurb from Montana legislators....

LINK HERE

A state lawmaker told colleagues in the Montana Legislature on Tuesday that he believes "mask wearing is a hoax to push government compliance
    ."

State Sen. Fred Thomas, R-Stevensville, made the comments during a Legislative Council meeting to discuss the plan for continuity of government guidance for interim committees. Rep. Kim Abbot, D-Helena, made a motion that would have required everyone entering the Capitol building to wear masks for health and safety reasons during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Thomas, who was the majority leader of the Senate in 2019, had advocated on the Zoom call that lawmakers get tested before going to in-person meetings. But he said he didn't think masks were necessary.

"With all due respect to everybody, in my experience watching mask-wearing, it's a hoax to push government compliance more than it is anything effective at preventing disease," he said. "If you're in a nursing home, you wear a very secure medical mask. That works. Out in the public, this stuff has nothing to do with controlling this virus. Just my opinion. I ain’t wearing a mask and I am gonna go to the next meeting I can take in."

The council then took a roll-call vote, which failed on a 6-6 tie. Democrats voted in the affirmative and Republicans voted against the motion.Sen. JP Pomnichowski, D-Bozeman, and Sen. Margie MacDonald, D-Billings, both had advocated for the mask requirement with Abbot.

A state lawmaker told colleagues in the Montana Legislature on Tuesday that he believes "mask wearing is a hoax to push government compliance."

I do think these facemasks are important in the healthcare industry," he said. "Good masks that are properly worn are very valuable, but outside of that, we're wearing all kinds of different masks, and they're not tight, and it's not going to control anything. They're more to show people are complying with the government than they are for controlling any real spread of coronavirus."

Thomas noted that he sees people walking around with their noses sticking out from masks, and he also noted that people are gathering in restaurants and other places without masks.

Thomas said the Legislature and Montana "needs to start stepping forward towards meeting in person." He said he has a family member who would would most likely die if they caught the virus, but Thomas said that person came to a family function and everyone practiced social distancing.

"A little common sense on our part went a long way, and we had a good time," he said.

2. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

3. Dave514

Dave514

I don't trust the government but it make sense that if you're contagious and don't know it then blocking your slobbers is worth a shot. It's pretty simple and harmless. Asians have been doing it for quite awhile.

4. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

No masks worn in my family unless the doctor etc requires it for treatment...I know many on GT and elsewhere believe this is reckless, and you are entitled to that opposing opinion, but from what I read/see/hear from the supposed "experts" even they cannot agree on the usefulness of the masks...so, once again, with such conflicting info, who or what are we the "people" supposed to believe?

5. Justamessenger

Justamessenger

Costs and benefits. It costs little or nothing, but has potentially lifesaving benefits.

Grumpy_old_man likes this.
  6. uzimon

uzimon Daca is caca

I just got to the docs office they have a mask required sign on the door.
    He ain't wearing one.
    He must know something we dont

7. racerford

racerford

So if it is simple, harmless and worth a shot, why are you not wearing it at home with your family, presumably the people you care about the most?

Asians wear masks when they are sick, or to protect themselves from air pollution. They do a lot of things I have no desire to emulate, but hey if you want to go ahead.

I will point out wearing a mask is not harmless. It reduces oxygen levels, if it is at all effective. It disadvantages the hearing impaired. It reduces effective communication by muffling your words and reducing volume. It hides identities to facilitate crime. It reduces communication by hiding non-verbal cues. The list goes on.

8. kyjd75

kyjd75

I haven't worn a mask yet, and I don't intend to. Are we going to wear masks forever now as the new normal? Not for me. People that so readily submit to government edicts such as this are pathetic sheep. Get real. Masks are a "feel good" myth that I totally reject.

9. Dave514

Dave514

I don't wear around my family because there is a point of diminishing returns when you cohabitate with people and are going to be touching all the same things, eating at the same table, sleeping in the same bed, etc...

If wearing a mask in public is too tough....don't. I don't care.

Syclone0538, jeepdawg and czsmithGT like this.
  10. rtk

rtk

11. BCC73

BCC73

No mask for me.....keep your distance or stay home.

rock_castle likes this.
  12. rock_castle

rock_castle Today's Democrat Party hates our country.

So do Bandaids but I'm not wearing one every day for no reason.

Ricky Ricardo likes this.
  13. Jon_R

Jon_R

No edict here in FL. They said it might help and do it of you want. I do most of the time in public. It has no negative effect on me and might help. If it keeps or lessens me from exchanging “droplets” with strangers the zero cost makes it a go in my cost benefit analysis. Not sure I buy the it drives down your pulse ox. Surgeons would probably come up with something else then.

14. rock_castle

rock_castle Today's Democrat Party hates our country.

The masks are a great way for us to identify the people who don't think for themselves.

15. racerford

racerford

You must care a lot because you keep pushing it.
    Yet you don’t believe it yourself because you won’t do it to protect your own family. You should be social distancing at home. It is simple, harmless and no cost.

I notice you ignored the falseness of your statement that wearing a mask is harmless.

I was just in a Walmart, wearing a mask to amuse myself. Maybe 5 percent were wearing masks. I don’t think you have convinced anyone. Less and less everyday.

I don’t think the articles advocating wearing a mask during sex did your cause any favors.

16. Dave514

Dave514

I wear a mask for 6 hours a day at work. It's harmless. Stop crying.

czsmithGT, 1eyedjack01 and lazarus66 like this.
  17. racerford

racerford

I used to as well until I got a better job. You are not a hero for wearing one. If they wear harmless (zero harm or risk) they would not recommend those with COPD and other conditions wearing them. All the other harms I stated are true as well. I am not crying, I am stating facts.

if you really believed what you were spouting, you would be wearing a mask and social distancing at home.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  18. Dave514

Dave514

All drs and patients in my state are required to wear one right now.

Tell us exactly why they are harmful for people without breathing issues. Be specific and support your theory.

I've already explained why wearing one at home is futile. I'm sleeping right next to my wife.

czsmithGT likes this.
  19. SARG

SARG

Summer is here ... I'm erecting a chain link fence to keep the mosquitoes away.

Ricky Ricardo and WPGlocks like this.
  20. peng

peng

I say we unmask everyone.

Crap.

That's was already done in 2016.