close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

To change direction. Opinions of Toyota cars?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by larry_minn, Apr 21, 2013.

1. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Just to change post directions. I am thinking of getting a (new to me) car. The Toyota Camery looks halfway interresting. Thing is there are few 6 cylinder most are a 4 cyl 2.4l? IMO that seems dang small.
    So how does it handle that size car? How about when loaded? 4 adults, luggage, etc at interstate speeds...
    Any other issues/repairs, good points.. Thanks.
    The only major issue I hate. The rear door has a HUGE opening radias. For some dang reason rather then ending door when openeing ends. They continue door "skin" good 8" further back then needed. So you open (rear) door and it WILL hit car next to it.

2. vart

vart

My similarly-sized Ford Fusion has a 175hp 4cyl and it does great on flatland, which is all you have in Minnesota and for a few hundred miles in any direction...

On hills and grades, it is OK with just me in it but loaded with passengers and luggage, it struggles.

On a side note, last week I was getting gas and some crazy guy in a late 80's Camry engaged me in conversation and told me his Camry was a super rare model.

Apparently, it had a button that engaged a supercharger that let him go 150mph, yet when not activated, he got 50mpg... I'd try to find one of those if I were you...:rofl:

3. vart

vart

When my wife's parents moved to Arizona from Iowa, they were searching for a small SUV.

I recommended a used CR-V but they rejected it because it had a 4cyl and they were afraid they wouldn't have enough power to get up the hills and mountains out here.

They bought a 6cyl Hyundai Tucson which had the same power as the CR-V 4cyl, but worse gas mileage...:upeyes:

4. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

My Camry's have 4's. They may be small, but gutsy.
    I make a run Ft. Worth to Denver a lot, full pax load and luggage. Run 75, including the climbs through the mountains. The Camry 4 will maintain speed in the mountains, my previous Taurus 6 couldn't :frown:
    On the Denver trip, the Camry's got 33 mpg and the Corolla's got 39.

I began a fleet of Camry's and Corolla's in '98 when I reached my last straw with the Tauruses breaking.

Eight cars later, only the oldest ('98) has needed any repairs outside of routine maintenance (Tires, Brakes, Batteries). That amounted to a starter motor and a radiator.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  5. aircarver

He wasn't supposed to talk about that ... to anybody ! ... :steamed:

:whistling:

:supergrin:

6. Buki192327

Buki192327

I don't have a Camry. I do have a 2009 Toyota Rav, with a 4 cylinder. It has all the get up and go, that I could want. The fuel economy is good also. :supergrin:

7. aircarver

My daughter put 250,000 miles on her '01 RAV4, with no repairs other than routine expendables. It's still running good.

8. coastal4974

coastal4974

I started buying Toyota s exclusively since GM went out of business

9. aircarver

Well, they didn't exactly go out of business, they just became a wholly-owned subsidiary of the gubber-mint .... :whistling:

10. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

i deal with a few toyota dealerships. i gotta be honest. most are in for routine service, or out and out abuse.

i think i could count the number of camrys ive seen in for serious repair on one hand.

11. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

I've owned three Toyotas over the years (two Tercels and a Rav-4). Wonderful cars. No problems. Period.

12. Mr981

Mr981

I currently have an 07 RAV4 with 80K on it. AWD V6 sport model.
    Pro:
    lots of pickup with the V6, great cargo room and Hwy mileage has been decent 25-27mpg.
    Con:
    Major quality control issues with the transmission (bad ring and pinion gear replaced under warranty at 57K --$4500) emissions control systems/muffler (muffler failed at 60K but one CAT was welded on to the pipe just ahead of it requiring the entire assembly to be replaced under warranty $1100). Just finished a recall on the rear suspension link strut (covered under warranty) and the radio/CD failed at about 10K.

Toyota has replaced a lot of these transmissions and it was just by the grace of God I found the website with the TSB with all the details of the recall allowing Toyota to pick up the whole tab. From what I've read, if you were out of warranty, you were SOL.

This car will be replaced in the next 10K and it won't be replaced with another Toyota product. I chose Toyota on the premise I could get 100K out of the vehicle without a major mechanical failure. Based on my experience, Toyota's vaunted reliability would seem to be a thing of the past. Not sure if it was bad engineering, assembly or vendor QC but this car has brought back a lot of the bad memories I had with my Ford Explorers.

13. winglock

winglock

Now you did it, you spoke bad about a Toyota on GT. Who knows what'll happen now.

14. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

My '96 Camry just rolled over 200k. I've replaced the timing belt, water pump, rotors, and a radiator that got cracked by a bad rock while driving.

15. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

"Apparently, it had a button that engaged a supercharger that let him go 150mph, yet when not activated, he got 50mpg"

The power button was real. I bought a new 4-cylinder '87 Camry LE for my wife and it had a POWER button on the console next to the shifter. Pushing it raised the shift points a few hundred rpm or so.

This is an '86.

[​IMG]

16. mossytxn

mossytxn

Got a new camry se a month ago with the 4 banger for my wife. It pulls just fine and gets 25 mpg in town.

No problems with my tundra either.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

17. sierrafast

sierrafast Coleccionista

I recently purchased a new to me 2012 Camry and I am loving it. Pulls great for a little 2.5 4banger while giving me about 36mpg with the cruise control set at 65mph.

18. jpa

jpa CLM

I have a '12 Toyota Camry Hybrid that I got the end of July last year. Just under 13k miles on it so far and I love it. I've driven it around LV with a full passenger load and in the hills it still has pretty good git up n go. Averaging around 500 miles per 16 gallon tank of gas (I don't let it get below 1/4 tank). ToyotaCare picks up the service/oil changes. 5k service is rotating tires, lube and inspecting stuff. Oil changes every 10k. I'll report back in a few years but the Camry seems to be one of the most popular cars in town here.

19. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

My wife has a 2009 Corolla with a 4 cyl. The water pump went at 75k, but other than that it has been pretty solid. Power wise, it isn't a race car, but it has enough power to get up to speed and does pretty good on the highway.

20. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

I have a 2009 Corolla and in 2010 Toyota dealership (on a routine oil change) changed my water pump for free as there was some sort of factory defect. Don't know if there was a specific recall. He said the new WP was an upgrade. :dunno: