close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

To chamber or not to chamber?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by G21ACPBeliever, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G21ACPBeliever

G21ACPBeliever

This has probably been debated before but I was just wondering what other opinions were out there. I chamber with a trimmed down "Glock Block" trigger block on all my guns so that I'm extra protected whether holstered or clipdraw and easily accessible and ready to engage any unseen threat.

Many promote "Israeli Carry" or condition three and some think that if it's not being carried with a live round chambered you could be taking a risk....

What's everyone else think?

2. Gtracy

Gtracy

i carry my 26 in a crossbreed supertuck with a round chambered. i have been carrying for over a year and i feel confident in this method.

3. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

round chambered@all times.

4. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

An empty gun is an expensive paperweight.

5. CC Glock

CC Glock

With a Glock if you dont pull the trigger it wont go off. Get a good holster and keep one if the chamber. My two cents

6. solomansousana

solomansousana

"Israeli" carry demands an extensive training regimen, one that must be maintained to maintain proficiency. I've carried a 1911 concealed since the mid 80's without issues. I served as a Navy Corpsman with an issued 1911 with a round in the chamber, hammer down ( done safely inside an AD drum). I also carried for a short time a 1911 cocked and locked while serving with the IDF, the rest was a cocked and locked Kareen hipower.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I think you're over analyzing this, and I think the "Saf-T-Blok" is just an ignorant gimmick. If you don't touch the trigger, the gun doesn't go boom. It's how a Glock is designed. T-Shirts, keys, etc.. stuck in your holster, won't make the gun go boom. I've tried(with an unloaded firearm of course) and I've come to the conclusion that it's not gonna happen before you notice something is in your holster. If you keep trying to cram it in there after that, it's your own fault.

Try this, carry around for a week, "Israeli" w/o that ridiculous block(which is also quite unsafe, thats the bigger problem I have with it)... Every night when you come home, remove your firearm from the holster, and check the trigger. Trigger didn't move, gun doesn't go boom. If it moved, then you need to reevaluate your setup.

IGF

8. LEAD

LEAD

Sometimes I cock my paperweights and use them to shoot things...

OP, obviously you can deduce the shortcomings of either method; a gun with a chambered round is more likely to be discharged negligently, while a gun with an empty chamber is less available to engage a threat with.

With an empty chamber if someone comes up to you an puts a gun or other weapon to you, you likely will not be able to engage them quickly enough to protect yourself, however if you aren't the target, you most likely would be able to draw, chamber and engage the threat.

With a loaded chamber there is the obvious edge of speed in an encounter with a threat, but during times when threats aren't needing to be dealt with, you are at least slightly more likely to be a danger to yourself and others if by some act of god (it wouldn't be the first time) your trigger gets depressed, well boom goes the dynamite depending, worst case scenario you could kill yourself or others, best case, no ones hurt but you just made a BIG scene.

I suggest you carry unchambered until your confident and have proven your ability to safely carry, then, when your older, you take off the training wheels. But in that probationary period when you're carrying unchambered and one day you noticed your trigger is depressed, well you just failed your practice run, go back to go don't collect $200.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  9. yellolab

yellolab

I cannot fathom carrying with nothing in the chamber.

IMHO, if you don't feel comfortable, get some traning and spend more time with your weapon until you do.

Kevin

10. MountainPacker

MountainPacker

1. Learn how to operate your gun so you don't shoot yourself.
    2. Always chamber.

11. hoffy

hoffy

If you are using a clip draw, them you should probably not put one in the chamber, IMO Glocks should be carried in a proper holster, and then caution needs to be used. A local LEO that teaches peace officers at the community college had an accidental discharge while reholstering his side arm, a G-22 IIRC. Word is that a strap on a level 3 retention holster got him, grazed him in two places. Glock has always stressed the importance of using a holster that covers the trigger. When the little safety blocks first came out, I thought good idea, then thought some more and thought, nope bad idea, something else to gum up the works, to train for......leave well enough alone. Clip draws are fine for a 1911- a pistol with the safety engaged, or a double action gun, with which a snag is much less likely to cause a discharge. I am firmly in the one in the chamber camp, and my EDC in the summer is usually a G-30 in one of several holsters.

12. Cheytac

Cheytac

If one thinks that they can; draw, rack a round, aquire the target, and then hit it once they find themselves in trouble (highly charged on adrealine)... Then they need to shoot an IDPA Match just once.:faint:

I just shot my second yesterday... What a humbling experience... :crying:

Get comfortable with your gun, your carry rig, and then after you have shot a 1,000 rounds and practiced drawing a few hundred times: rack a round and then carry it, until then, leave it at home. :whistling:

13. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Chambered 24/7. Gun won't fire if you don't pull the trigger.

14. JoNxMeMpHiS

JoNxMeMpHiS

If you leave the house and know you're going to be within 15 yards of ANY human being then, chamber a round.

Floating around the house with an empty chamber is not a huge deal as long as your doors are locked and you know you'd hear forced entry.

On second thought, I can't seem to find any excuse not to chamber unless you're incompetent. If you find that you are in fact unable to carry without an A.D. then you may want to buy a really nice knife and become a member of the airsoft forums.

15. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

All the time, no exceptions. 7+ years continuously. When the gun goes on the night stand, it is still chambered. When I clean the gun, the shell gets exchanged with another.

16. 762DM

762DM

An unloaded handgun is an expensive hammer.

17. zigzagg321

zigzagg321 clever quip

this.

18. mymini40

mymini40

Condition 1, here.

19. Shootinbil

Shootinbil Millennium Member

Chambered .The gun won't fire if you don't pull the trigger

20. nick425

nick425

Always keep it piped.