To Build A Fire...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Feb 17, 2020.

1. HarlDane

HarlDane

I like diesel soaked sawdust.

2. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Nice thing about diesel is that it won't kaboom unless you heat it very hot first to vaporize it. Pour it on embers and they will just be quenched and go out.

That's why the US Navy uses diesel in small craft - because of the anti-kaboom factor.

Gasoline --- if you are very very careful can actually be used to put out a fire.... but the difference between very very careful and very very dead is very very narrow.

The liquid gasoline doesn't burn - it's the vapors mixed with oxygen that ignite. This is why electric fuel pump motors and their arcing brushes inside the fuel tank don't ignite - not sufficient oxygen to make it happen.

3. billorights

billorights

I use paper and kindling. I like to pick up sticks around the yard too. Sometimes I chop 2x4 Pine for kindling, scraps or I have even bought the cheapest 2x4 just for that reason. Putting the wood in right is the trick to starting a fire. Usually one match is enough.

4. teeceetx

teeceetx

Pine resin is no good for stove/fireplace. But if it's just 1 pine cone, I guess you're ok.

5. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

6. snappy

snappy

You are correct sir, but 1 or 2 is all I use to get a fire going and I have a chimney sweep out once a year or so to check things out. Where we’re at I can’t be too careful and can’t deal with a chimney fire. So far things work out fine.

teeceetx likes this.
  7. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I take the easy but still old fashioned way.

crumpled newspaper with a dried pine cone and/or corn cob, next kindling all sprinkled with kerosene or my home brew fire starter. Then one match.

PS- I keep a jug of home brew fire starter. Mix a concoction of 8 parts diesel to 1 part gas. Great combo, it’s mild but the 1 part gas adds just a little kick but not dangerous.

Eddy Current likes this.
  8. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

Didn't get around to trying out the new mag. bar and ferro rod until today. I squared up the spine on my newest Morakniv with a file. I cleaned off the paint on the mag bar rod and the big ferro rod and got great sparks from both. They are both Coghlan brand. Also the mag bar is softer than Doan's and easy to shave. tom. :thumbsup:

ETA the Morakniv blade is soaking in apple cider vinegar to make a forced patina thereby protecting to some degree, against rust.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    FullClip likes this.