"To boldly go where no man has gone before..."

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Habu, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Habu

Habu

Which Star Trek series if your favorite?

I love them all, probably TNG the best, but Enterprise was a really cool angle, showing so many "firsts" for Earth, and the way their still (timewise and culturally) a little connected to us.

But no, I like them all...

The desperation of the Voyager's situation out in the Delta quadrant, the interplanetary politics and friction of Deep Space 9, the ground-breaking wonder of TOS...

2. Razor

Razor Millennium Member

My favorite is TOS, mainly because I grew up on those reruns and it was my introduction into Science Fiction.

TNG is a close second, DS9 a distant third. I never really got into Voyager, mainly because Capt. Janeway did absolutely nothing for me.
    I didn't really start watching Enterprise until recently (reruns on SciFi) and it really isn't as bad as I've heard.

3. Habu

Habu

Same here, I watched TOS as a kid, loved it.

And same, I had never watched Enterprise before, but saw that Sci-Fi would be running it, and decided to give it a chance, and liked it (except for that ghey song at the first). I thought it was kind of cool that I was able to see the entire series quickly, four episodes a week.:thumbsup:

4. JimmyD

JimmyD Guest

Grew up on TOS re-runs. TNG wasn't bad. Screw the rest!

5. MOTHERGREEN

MOTHERGREEN Guest

I don't have a favorite but I rest comfortably in the knowledge that every day at some time on some channel durring the day every single series is on tv

6. Habu

Habu

Indeed.

By the way, any of you TOS fans seen any of the restored episodes yet? They are awesome! The special effects are redone, and they look great!

Go to www.memory-alpha.org to find listings and times in your area--I just watched another one at 0130 this morning, it was worth it!

7. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

Wife and I actually like Next Generation the best.
    Both of us were WITH Shatner when he did some post-produciton, editing work on the movie Generations. He had to overdub some lines when he's on the horse with Piccard. Nice guy. Got a pic of my wife next to him.

8. aspartz

aspartz

TOS

I disliked TNG and never gave any of the successors a chance.

As to the remastering, I agree w/ Nimoy -- "Shame on them."

ARS

9. Mr. PC

Mr. PC Guest

The Original Series (1966–1969).

Kirk got me hot. LOL. Scottie, Sulu, Spock, Chekov and Bones = coolness.

Each episode was like a colorized Twilight Zone.

Everything that came after was CGI fluff. Can you dig it?

10. Herb Twoleaf

Herb Twoleaf qxPfZzhK

TOS.

Was watching Enterprise last night. They had just landed on some planet and the Archer's beagle made a beeline for the nearest tree. One of the characters quipped "Where no dog has gone before."
    :animlol:

I suppose they grew up watching TOS too?
    :headscratch:

11. MOTHERGREEN

MOTHERGREEN Guest

well in the first episode of enterprise they show zefram cochran giving a speech at the opening of the warp 5 facility saying "..to boldy go where no man has gone before..." TOS and TNG had it as their opener. then on the last episode of enterprise they have archer kirk and picard all reciet it together. i guess it is to them as the gettysburg adress is to us.

12. Habu

Habu

Absolutely! I like the continuity I see there, that's one of the things I really like about "Enterprise". It's as if they're revealing to us the origin of that phrase. We also see origins of many other things that we know as standard in the other series--like when they devise the "red alert" protocol, and when they're debating about interference in developing cultures, and captain Archer says "someday, we'll have a rule, a DIRECTIVE, for this situation...", obviously we all think, "yeah, the Prime Directive". Very cool to see the history of the Federation and Earth's evolution into the powerful, spacefaring race that we know in the other series.

13. MOTHERGREEN

MOTHERGREEN Guest

yeah those are exactly the reasons I liked the series. I didn't watch it when it was on tv and I regret that now because it was the abscence of viewers like me that lead to the show being cancled well before its time. such is the story of star trek series though...

14. FN-P9

FN-P9

THG is my favorite, I grew up watching but I love them all. I cant wait for the new movie but I HOPE Johnathan Frakes directs. Richard Baird sucks and I firmly beleive that Nemesis just missed the mark because of him. In the DVD extras he admitted that he was not a ST fan.:sad:

15. rhans405

rhans405 In God I Trust CLM

TOS.

I actually grew up watching the series (not the reruns) :shocked:

16. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

I think the new movie is directed by J.J. Abrams (of LOST and MI:3 fame). Matt Damon has been cast as the young Kirk (though he is older than Shatner when he started). Since the movies seem to be almost fatally linked to the original series, I don't expect much and the film will piss of trekkies due to ret-conning, and not do much for non-fans due to the extreme amount of technobabble than accompanies all trek stuff.

I really just want a good war movie set in the trek universe. Hell, just pull a Weber and re-write the Hornblower series as a Trek storyline.

17. Habu

Habu

Sounds like it might be good.

I know when I was a kid, I admit I also longed for more lasers, robots and explosions in the show. As I grew older, I just got more into the Star Trek universe because I appreciated much more the cerebral nature of the storylines, the science, the paradoxes involving time, and the suspense sometimes seen in the stories. I like the way things interconnect, it truly is a Star Trek "universe".

18. JimmyD

JimmyD Guest

Any proof of this? Although it's been a rumor for quite awhile, there is nothing that says he's been cast.

19. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Hmm, I thought it was a done deal. Oh well, maybe he won't be Shatner. Anyway, I just want to see fights! I want Excelsior class battleships mixing it up with those huge Klingon ships. None of this crappy Bird of Prey duking it out with the enterprise crap. The BoP is ALWAYS the first to fall in any Starfleet battle as it is such a small ship. Seems the shows/movies inflate or deflate the power of the ship as needed. I guess the larger Klingon ships look too dorky to be used much.

20. JimmyD

JimmyD Guest

There were no Excelsior class ships in the early years. Supposedly, the movie is going to be about Kirk & Spock's first mission or that's what the rumors are. No Academy crap. My guess is it will take place sometime between Pike's command and the "Where No Man Has Gone Before" pilot. Rumor has it that Pike will make an appearance. Supposedly it's been confirmed that Nimoy will have a role but not Shatner.

I can see an older Spock near death or just plain old, telling someone the story of his and Kirk's first mission together, flashing back and forth as he tells the story.

I would rather see unknowns play the roles of Kirk, Spock and McCoy with a possible TV series happening if the movie does well.