close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

To bob or not to bob... That is the question.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jdl2, Aug 9, 2012.

1. jdl2

jdl2

Has anyone had their G19 or G23 bob tailed? Cold Bore Customs will do. Does it improve summer concealability under a tee shirt. Hoping to improve concealability without having to buy baby Glock. Yes or no from your experience?
    Thanks for your help.
    Jim L.

2. 63bmechanic

63bmechanic

Iv never seen where bobbing hides it better. i carry full size Glocks under a tee shirt or an XL button up (im 6' 1" 185#) and unless the wind blows strong, you'd never know. Get the right holster and belt and your golden.

3. JW1178

JW1178

Do you mean chopping the grip so it has the grip of a compact or sub compact using those mags??? The grip is the hard part to hide.

4. 63bmechanic

63bmechanic

bobbing is chopping the "main spring" section of the grip and giving it a resessed section basically. its completely and utterly pointless. and with a proper holster and belt, a large grip hide just as easily as a subcompact.

5. normal.guy

normal.guy

post a picture of it.

6. gatorboy

gatorboy

Full and mid size Glocks ARE bobtailed from the factory. I would not do it and if I were to, I would'nt pay anyone to do it, I'd do it myself. It's very easy to modify a Glock frame the way you're talking about. Don't for get to go slow and long to leave plenty to sand with at least two grades to get it decent looking.

I have sanded on Glock frames before and both times wish I had'nt.

7. jdl2

jdl2

8. normal.guy

normal.guy

9. cajun_chooter

cajun_chooter

I think i will leave my G19 as is..

10. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:upeyes: The G-19 is already a difficult pistol for many people to shoot straight. (For more than a year I was one of them!) :supergrin: The most common complaint I've read about on this board is that the G-19's grip is already too short. (In fact I've added grip extensions to all of my G-19 magazines.) Personally, I think that if you wear the right GUN belt and use the right ITB/IWB holster then you don't have to worry about, 'patterning'. Me? I carried a humongous G-21 ITB for more than 8 years and only got, 'made' no more than 3 or 4 times. (The last 4 or 5 years NOBODY, 'made' me!)

I have this self-defense mentality that prevents me from carrying any pistol as a primary that I wouldn't want to actually CQB pistol gunfight with; but, then again, I've already been in a pistol gunfight and fully understand how quickly, 'things can go South'; as well as what it takes to dominate an opponent and survive. There seems to be a trend going on in America, today. Everybody's looking for smaller and smaller pistols that are light and easy to carry. Nobody seems to care how easy or effective it might be (or NOT be) to actually have to gunfight with one of these cute little, 'security pacifier' pistols :supergrin: - Only how comfortable or convenient they are to carry. Personally, I go in exactly the opposite direction: If I can't get a good grip on it; if it doesn't hit hard enough; or if it doesn't hold enough, 'big bullets' then I won't be bothered carrying it, at all.

My G-19 -

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/17/glockmodel19rtf22edited.jpg

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7677/p6050031.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, 'smaller', or, 'more concealable' is absolutely worthless in an actual CQB pistol gunfight. If you want Cold Bore to do something really useful for you on a Glock, have Lane heavily stipple the, 'thumb pieces' on the frame so that you have, 'extra purchase'. ;)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  11. bill1725

bill1725

I agree with 63. The standard G19 with the right holster is the way to go.

12. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

13. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Concealment is an acquired life skill. Although one cannot make a pistol disappear, one can create the illusion of being unarmed. It's a skill that takes practice and planning.:whistling:

14. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Not to derail the topic, but, because this information might actually be useful, here goes:

I'm a big guy, 6' tall, and a good 250#'s. Still, my everyday wardrobe is designed around keeping my belt-load undiscovered. My clothing is, all, loose – especially my shirts which are mostly patterned or woven, and worn un:bloused. Whenever I wear a suit, I’ll scale down from a G-21 to either a Walther PPK-S, or a snub-nosed S&W revolver; in either case, I'll carry additional ammunition on the opposite side of my belt. I do NOT carry my G-21 with an extended magazine installed. (The extended magazine will be on the other side of my belt.)

In colder weather I, also, carry a small Beretta, 'Alley Cat' in either an outside coat or front pants pocket. Perhaps the one single thing which allows me to remain anonymous while carrying a concealed pistol is my personal habits: I don't go around acting like I'm armed. I smile a lot and consciously work at appearing to be complacent. I know I've got very good social manners; and I always try to encourage others not to take anything about me too seriously.

This, and the facts that I: (1) Never bend my knee on the opposite side, (2) never reach for anything with my gun hand, (3) don't sit with my back exposed to view, (4) place my gun hand in my pocket or tuck my elbow in whenever it's windy, (5) try to avoid letting others make direct body contact, (Not always that easy to do; but, whenever someone tries to hug me I make sure that my arms are UNDERNEATH the other person's outstretched arms!) and (6) tend to 3/4 my gun side away from people, ALL, work to my advantage.

Better than 90% of the time I carry ITB/IWB on a strong tight belt. The pistol butt is tucked hard into my side and, sometimes, the rest of the pistol will be inside my pants, as well. With the exception of suits, I don’t wear, ‘lightweight’ fabrics. Unbuttoned or open at the waist? Yes, but not lightweight!

Still, as far as I’m concerned, the most important factors in not being, ‘made’ include: (1) Not acting like you’re armed; (2) Not acting like you’re dangerous; (3) Wearing loose, well patterned, obfuscatory clothing; (4) Keeping the pistol at a high 4:00 o’clock position – A little farther back on your hip than convenient for an easy high speed draw; (5) Using a strong leather belt; (6) Habitually standing off other people’s vertical body centerline, AND (7) Turning your gun side away from others who approach you. I like to call this, ‘three-quartering’ - Which, when done properly, I consider to be almost an art form.

Now you guys who live in warm weather climates, like the deep South, are going to find it more difficult to conceal a larger pistol and will, probably, be less comfortable carrying it around all day. Well, what can I say? I think, 'attitude' has a lot to do with things; we, also, have hot summers here, too; and me and my collection of Hawaiian aloha shirts continue to do just fine.

I’ll add this for those who may feel the need to wear a speed scabbard and go about locked and loaded all the time: Should the occasion arise, I KNOW it’s going to take me longer than most to access and fire my weapon; consequently, I’ve learned to develop a keen sense of personal awareness. I’m, habitually, aware of whatever’s going on around me; and, this helps to keep me covered up, too.

Yes, I know not everyone is able to, ‘dress for success’ in the same manner that I do. Some people genuinely need to be stylish and well tailored. If I needed to dress, today, the way I did years ago, well, I’d probably look into a smaller pistol and/or something like a zippered, ‘day planner’ notebook with a nice leather cover, or I’d use a metal Zero Halliburton attaché case like the one I used to carry.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  15. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Arc, you have successfully completed the planning and practice course. I hereby deem you Master Concealment Artist.

To add to the wardrobe discussion, I offer this:

As a professional musician, I am often required to wear a tux, the pants being held up by suspenders. Most pistols will cause by pants to sag noticeably, so I wear a white belly band over a white undershirt, the pistol under my left armpit. I'll gladly rip open my tux shirt to defend my life. I also have a black and a tan belly band to suit the occasion. I've successfully carried a G19 that way to many, many formal gigs.

16. 63bmechanic

63bmechanic

this i have to disagree with, its all about dressing around your carry as you know, even here in the south. teeshirt and wrangler carpenter jeans using a good "big leather" or hybrid or w/e you may prefer to call them, i can effectively and comfortably make my glock 20 disappear, i generally carry a G22 instead just because i shoot it more often im used to the way it shoots. hell i can pack away my big ass sig2022 in the same manner. location/weather means nothing to someone serious about carrying.

17. TeeJay37

TeeJay37

I got everything but this. Mind elaborating?

18. jdl2

jdl2

Can anyone tell me if bobtailing a G19 improves conceal ability?

19. Socks tear

Socks tear

actually the G19 is very easy to shoot and a very popular model

20. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

100% ditto. This is my policy also. If I'm in a fight I dont want a cute little comfy carry piece. I want a rifle, and barring that I'd like as close to a full sized handgun as is feasible. I found MY perfect compromise in the G30 and G29SF.