GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
MacGyver
7,001 Posts
Science, logic, and math wins over BS.
https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/...eel-vs-titanium-strength-properties-and-uses/

Sucker gimmick. Millions of old Glocks out there functioning fine on original cheap (readily available) OEM parts. If 10 people posted here that they had broken factory strikers, it would be still be insignificant.

My question would be: how is a Ti alloy striker made/formed with sufficient quality for one to afford/acquire it in a consumer device? Is it solid Ti or Ti-MIM? If it cost twice as much as the gun, then it may be legit. I would ask the manufacturer the questions, not us.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Not trying to be a wise guy but I see a titanium firing pin as a solution to a problem that does not exist.

I modify my Glocks to a very limited amount, OEM extended magazine and slide releases. Only recently have I strayed from OEM night sights - I now prefer Ameriglo Agents.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Science, logic, and math wins over BS.
https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/...eel-vs-titanium-strength-properties-and-uses/

Sucker gimmick. Millions of old Glocks out there functioning fine on original cheap (readily available) OEM parts. If 10 people posted here that they had broken factory strikers, it would be still be insignificant.

My question would be: how is a Ti alloy striker made/formed with sufficient quality for one to afford/acquire it in a consumer device? Is it solid Ti or Ti-MIM? If it cost twice as much as the gun, then it may be legit. I would ask the manufacturer the questions, not us.
And you get the idiots that insist on putting BS in their Glocks. Just about every time I see a Glock fail in USPSA and IDPA it’s because of aftermarket crap. Some of you are begging for your Glock to fail by doing this stupid crap.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I would recommend a titanium striker with the same enthusiasm I’d use for pressed cardboard car tires. I heard they are lighter...

·
Registered
236 Posts
I once had a few extra bucks and some time. I wanted to know what a lighter firing pin was about.
After I installed it I experienced misfires.
Later I had read that you needed to trade out a spring to make it fire reliably.
I did so and experienced less misfires.
The handgun is a system. It is reliable by design.
All back to factory and 100% reliable again. I went full circle for nothing.

·
NRA Benefactor Life Member
3,311 Posts
On a series 70 1911 is the only place I use titanium firing pins.
Glocks stay stock.

·
Previously nutsnax
684 Posts
I have titanium firing pins in all of mine with 6.5lb springs. No light-strikes. I also did not pay for these as I got them from a friend dumping his gun shop inventory.

I had an issue early on with light strikes.... I traced these issues to gouged plunger shelves and gouged plungers due to slide-to-frame slop in clearances due to the frame rails being crap. I fixed this by going with a polymer80 with its significantly beefier rails and tighter tolerances. IMO Polymer80 is superior to factory in a number of ways (as it should be, they set out to improve the design).

After the polymer80 no more light strikes because a portion of the striker spring force wasn't being used to gouge up the striker/plunger components.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
What does the titanium striker do better then stock? Gfive45 says Glock cut corners on this. How? He puts down Glock but yet owns them..

Can someone else besides him explain this?

·
Previously nutsnax
684 Posts
What does the titanium striker do better then stock? Gfive45 says Glock cut corners on this. How? He puts down Glock but yet owns them..

Can someone else besides him explain this?
I think this is what theyre supposed to do....

Reduces the time between when the trigger is pulled and the primer is struck given identical spring weights. Supposedly takes more of the operator error out of the equation.

Also supposedly allows for the use of lighter weight springs....... But i find this to be a bit dubious. I would never run reduced power springs in any gun.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I think this is what theyre supposed to do....

Reduces the time between when the trigger is pulled and the primer is struck given identical spring weights. Supposedly takes more of the operator error out of the equation.

Also supposedly allows for the use of lighter weight springs....... But i find this to be a bit dubious. I would never run reduced power springs in any gun.
It’s magic dust type of stuff. There is no way it will make a difference in speed of the shooter or more accuracy. It’s just more crap to tinker with. That’s ok though. People can do what they want. Reliability can suffer and at the worst time.

·
Previously nutsnax
684 Posts
It’s magic dust type of stuff. There is no way it will make a difference in speed of the shooter or more accuracy. It’s just more crap to tinker with. That’s ok though. People can do what they want. Reliability can suffer and at the worst time.
Yeah, for me the biggest point of failure so far as reliability is concerned has been frame to slide clearance throwing off the striker/plunger/trigger bar alignment and causing plunger/striker gouging and light strikes.

IMO if anyones plunger or striker show signs of gouging its probably time to check out a new frame or at least try to make some adjustments.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Yeah, for me the biggest point of failure so far as reliability is concerned has been frame to slide clearance throwing off the striker/plunger/trigger bar alignment and causing plunger/striker gouging and light strikes.

IMO if anyones plunger or striker show signs of gouging its probably time to check out a new frame or at least try to make some adjustments.
I’ve never had that issue. Glock have been solid for me for years. Not my all time favorite gun but solid.

·
You local friendly Skynet dealer
13,628 Posts
Gun works fine, you just want to experiment.

You have too much free time and unspent money. Get a girlfriend!

·
Previously nutsnax
684 Posts
I’ve never had that issue. Glock have been solid for me for years. Not my all time favorite gun but solid.
yeah, Glocks are the "it doesn't matter what's on the outside but what's on the inside that counts" girlfriends of the gun world.

This is one of those really insidious issues but I hear of glock light strikes fairly often and this was a really hard one for me to track down .....so I feel the need to make sure folks are aware that it is a not-so-obvious cause of light strikes in glocks (and striker/plunger damage).

·
G43 Fanboy
1,592 Posts
About 23 -24 years ago, I tested a reduced weight titanium firing pin in my G19 gen 2. (Back then it was much cheaper than what it is selling for now.) After shooting a box of Speer Lawman, I removed it from my gun and put the OEM firing pin back in. The particular titanium firing pin was too light to create enough momentum to ignite the primers reliably even with the OEM firing pin spring....

41 - 57 of 57 Posts