Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started out with two perfectly adequate models of Smith & Wesson. Then I read somewhere that Midway carried Titanium cylinders for $139.
S&W642_S&W360.jpg
First up was the Mod 360! The Titanium cylinder shaved it down to 12.6 ounces and looks better than the bland, non-fluted steel unit. You don't think a few ounces can make that much difference but it really does!
S&W 360 PD conversion.JPG
I liked the 360 "PD" conversion so much I ordered a second cylinder and fitted it to my standard Mod 642 - not the "PRO" model since that has the moon clip cut-out.
Not only does it LOOK nicer with the contrasting but complementary shade of gray cylinder, it's also much lighter! It's now light enough to compete with my Mod 43C for pocket carry!
S&W 642 Titanium RS.JPG
Here are the two Mod 642s - the PRO won't be getting the "upgrade" since I don't want to give up the ability to use moon clips...but on the other hand, how often have I ever use them....The titanium cylinder achieves nearly a 14% reduction in weight.
S&W M642 dual.jpg

·
Registered
451 Posts
Wow, inexpensive but very worthwhile upgrade!

Is there no timing or adjustments required, just a straight drop-in part?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, inexpensive but very worthwhile upgrade!

Is there no timing or adjustments required, just a straight drop-in part?
The cylinder comes with an ejector star (has the ratchet on it) which must be fitted. However, it's easier to use the ejector star from the original cylinder which is already timed to the gun. The center spindle of the ejector has a large flat that aligns it with the cylinder's center axis. Just use a clamp to unscrew the ejector rod - counter-clockwise, pull out all the parts and place them in the titanium one.

Reactions: PRE-K

·
Registered
451 Posts
The cylinder comes with an ejector star (has the ratchet on it) which must be fitted. However, it's easier to use the ejector star from the original cylinder which is already timed to the gun. The center spindle of the ejector has a large flat that aligns it with the cylinder's center axis. Just use a clamp to unscrew the ejector rod - counter-clockwise, pull out all the parts and place them in the titanium one.
Well that's an easy task!

Righty, removey... leftie locky.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Scott, How did you get S&W to sell you a new, unfitted Titanium cylinder? Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scott, How did you get S&W to sell you a new, unfitted Titanium cylinder? Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks!
I ordered it from www.midwayusa.com - $139.00! It's made to accept .357 magnum ammo so it's more than strong enough for .38 Special application! Midway also sells the clamping tool "needed" to unscrew the ejector rod (counter-clockwise) for $30 and it's worth every penny! Midway also has new ejector rods, springs, everything needed if you wanted to build it into a "turn-key" swap which would of course require fitting the new ejector star, but why bother, once you install the titanium cylinder you won't be going back.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This morning I used a super-brilliant light (iPhone 10x plus) shone down the bore from the front to verify alignment of each chamber - all are spot on! It's worth nothing that this is the result of "modern manufacturing" instead of back in the "good 'ole days" when a cylinder had to be hand-fitted at every data point.
Final timing is determined by the cylinder stop locking into the cylinder notch. The hand carries up, and rotates the star to a point where it then passes alongside it. Without fitting the new star my guns wouldn't fully cock which means the hand can't completely carry up. Fitting would require careful honing of the aspect of the star that rotates into parallel with the hand...but it's not needed since you have the star that came with the gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts