Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
On the flip side, I didn't need to break-in or tune my Tisas, unlike the RIAs you say that you had to. It just ran right straight from the box. Maybe THAT is relevant?
If you like your cast Filipino (clone) pistol, that's cool. I think it's just as legit to like my forged Turk (clone) pistol. In the end, they're both budget blasters (not that that is necessarily a bad thing!)
I guess the reality here is that I have higher standards for my firearms and have the knowledge and training to bring my firearms to a higher performance standard than your Tisas is probably capable of.
You want to make an issue of cast vs forged? Go ahead. You want to play silly word games by putting words in my mouth? Go ahead. You said my RIA's don't work out of the box, I didn't. I guess you probably aren’t aware of the fact that when you want to set up a 1911 for full wadcutters, they require some tuning. Here's another fact you seem to have not learned: When you decide to shoot ammo that is outside of the average expected performance window of a firearm, specific tuning must be done. The previous RIA that I tuned was for my brother. I set up his Ultra HC for .400 CorBon. Setup and tuning must be done- nobody makes a "paint-by-numbers kit" for this conversion.
If you want to jump to conclusions and start a argument with me, you're barking up the wrong tree.
The other reality is that Armscor/Rock Island pistols are good enough to compete at the highest levels of international competition, and Tisas is a budget firearm.
You would have had far more credibility if you started bragging about a Canik.

🤷‍♂️
So how's about dropping it here so the OP can have the discussion he wants, instead of you trying to start an off-topic argument?
After all, HE asked for opinions, I didn't.

·
I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.
2,777 Posts
I guess the reality here is that I have higher standards for my firearms and have the knowledge and training to bring my firearms to a higher performance standard than your Tisas is probably capable of.
You want to make an issue of cast vs forged? Go ahead. You want to play silly word games by putting words in my mouth? Go ahead. But the other reality is that Armscor/Rock Island pistols are good enough to compete at the highest levels of international competition, and Tisas is a budget firearm.

🤷‍♂️
So how's about dropping it here so the OP can have the discussion he wants, instead of you trying to start an off-topic argument?
Your words are your words. You said you broke-in and tuned your RIAs. Break-in is necessary only if a pistol isn't working like it should from the factory. So either your pistols were problematic or you're trying to come off as some sort of guru (your tone sure has been blustery enough to make me think that "or both" is a real possibility).

I was serious: if inexpensive cast Filipino pistols that usually work OK are your jam, drive on, but you have no room to look down on anyone who likes inexpensive forged Turk pistols that usually work OK.

You didn't mind chirping up on seagiant's post so I don't mind chirping up on your post.

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
I would rather put my money in the Philippines than Turkey, so the choice is RIA for me.

They have been on the market for a very long time, and there are few issues.

·
Registered
544 Posts
How is that even relevant?
With so many different alloys and manufacturing processes being used today, forged or cast has little bearing on the the reliability or quality of a well-made firearm.
A standard- production firearm is a far cry from a race gun and will last for a very long time with either cast or forged parts.
Besides, you would be shocked to know how many cast parts are used in the engines of the jetliner you ride in for your vacation to Switzerland. And the planes consistently come home in one piece.
Jet engine cast parts ?………a lot of MIM in them for sure.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You want to make an issue of cast vs forged? Go ahead. You want to play silly word games by putting words in my mouth? Go ahead. You said my RIA's don't work out of the box, I didn't. I guess you probably aren’t aware of the fact that when you want to set up a 1911 for full wadcutters, they require some tuning. Here's another fact you seem to have not learned: When you decide to shoot ammo that is outside of the average expected performance window of a firearm, specific tuning must be done. The previous RIA that I tuned was for my brother. I set up his Ultra HC for .400 CorBon. Setup and tuning must be done- nobody makes a "paint-by-numbers kit" for this conversion.
If you want to jump to conclusions and start a argument with me, you're barking up the wrong tree.
The other reality is that Armscor/Rock Island pistols are good enough to compete at the highest levels of international competition, and Tisas is a budget firearm.

🤷‍♂️
Is that you Larry Vickers ?

·
I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.
2,777 Posts
I would rather put my money in the Philippines than Turkey,
Since you brought it up, at one time I would have agreed with you, but the Philippines has been cozying up to China over the last several years while distancing itself from the US. Can't say I appreciate that much since my grandfather's brother is buried in Manila American Cemetery as a result of being killed in action in 1944.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I own a vepr oh no it was made in russia.
I used to own k98 made by germany when they were very bad lol I dont care much about geopolitical with my firearms.
I own a RI ultra tac 10mm I am interested in the Tisas as a project gun the same as the RI iam more interested in is the barrel , slide and frame fit correct and if quality aftermarket parts can be fitted to it.
And btw iam no 1911 guru I want to learn and a low cost platform is important for a learner gun.

·
Registered
460 Posts

🤷‍♂️
Just out of curiosity,, can you share your process for setting up a 1911 to feed “full wadcutter” rounds? I don’t think I have ever seen that round used in a 1911.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just out of curiosity,, can you share your process for setting up a 1911 to feed “full wadcutter” rounds? I don’t think I have ever seen that round used in a 1911.
The sentence was an auto-correct typo. It should have said "fulltime wadcutter rounds". You've never heard of PPC or Bullseye competition? You can get your education your own way.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The sentence was an auto-correct typo. It should have said "fulltime wadcutter rounds". You've never heard of PPC or Bullseye competition? You can get your education your own way.

OK. What do you mean by "fulltime wadcutter rounds"? To a lot of us wadcutter probably means .38 special 148 gr. ammo, not a picture of a pistol.

·
Registered
460 Posts

Thanks…. I got the information I needed.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Your pulling searches off the internet with little to no idea what it means.

Colt made some .38 special 1911’s set up run True wadcutter rounds. They were used back when bullseye involved a .38 special. So instead of a revolver they used a special 1911.

Go search again the difference between a 148 gr wadcutter round and a 185 gr semi wadcutter round and try again.

Saying full time wadcutter rounds is pure nonsense.

·
Registered
603 Posts
@weisse52 ,
Yeah, you're absolutely right. Nobody shot wadcutters in anything but .38 special.
That's why Les Baer, Springfield Armory, Rock River Arms, Pachmayr, and so many more built or customized 1911's for PPC competition solely to shoot semi-wadcutter ammo.
Since you just want to hijack a thread and start an argument, all you get is a picture. You like to have arguments- you don't engage in discussions. Now you have one less member to argue with. You're not worth the effort.
Now you get ignored.
And now you can make all the petty little comments you want.

·
Registered
460 Posts
As I said originally.. My preference would be for the Tisas. In comparison between the RIA I prefer the fit and finish of the Tisas I have seen and shot.

Having a forged frame, slide and barrel at this price point is a bonus.

I will add that my comments are directed at the two choices you offered. I still like Colt and Springfield over any of the off shore offerings. Springfield has a Legacy Mil-Spec that can be found at just a bit over either the RIA or Tisas.
Either of those will most likely serve you well. But lots of USA made products as well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
@weisse52 ,
Yeah, you're absolutely right. Nobody shot wadcutters in anything but .38 special.
That's why Les Baer, Springfield Armory, Rock River Arms, Pachmayr, and so many more built or customized 1911's for PPC competition solely to shoot semi-wadcutter ammo.
Since you just want to hijack a thread and start an argument, all you get is a picture. You like to have arguments- you don't engage in discussions. Now you have one less member to argue with. You're not worth the effort.
Now you get ignored.
JFC.

·
Registered
460 Posts
@weisse52 ,
Now you get ignored.

He still did not understand…

·
Registered
544 Posts
@weisse52 ,
Now you get ignored.
I think a lot of “ arguments “ seem to have you at the center. 🤔

21 - 40 of 62 Posts