Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both are full size 1911's with Novak type sights , skeletonized hammers / triggers and arched mainspring housings and both around the $500 mark ... The Tisas gets high marks for being all forged while the Rock Island is cast . Conversely , the Rock Islands get high marks for fit and reliability (praised for tolerances held even by gunsmiths) and a perfect 100 on a recent You Tube 10-8 test score . If you need any work , the Rock Island facility in Nevada is supposed offer excellent service . The Tisas , is the lesser known of the two in terms of reliability reviews with a US office in Knoxville - although most know their Turkish history by now . I want to like the Tisas more - but too many Rock Island 1911 reviews out where the darn things simply run and run . Cast (Rock Island) or Forged (Tisas) ? Known reliability (Rock Island) or uncertain reliability (Tisas) ? Wild Card consideration : Is the Tisas OR the Rock Island make for a better 1911 project gun ? ...Thanks for replies !

·
Registered
24,841 Posts
I think you will be fine with either. The Tisas I have seen seem really well made. That said, RIA might be able to offer better service. I just sold a RIA Tac II in 9mm. Great shooter, accurate, and reliable. It was a safe queen and wanted something else.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I vote Rock Island.
I've done break-in and tuning on more than a dozen for family and friends, and recently bought yet another for myself- an Ultra FS 10mm.
I admit to a personal bias against the Turk guns- all brands- since they remind me of the Brazilian gunmakers that churned out clones in the 1970's an 80's.
Rock Island 1911's are not expensive compared to other makes. Tisas are cheaper yet. Makes something cheap enough and people will soon figure out why it is so cheap.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I have an RIA since 2003. Nothing but praises here. The only hiccup I got was with the Critical Defense ammo. The rubber tip on the nose of the ammo prevents it from feeding. But most HP ammo that I tried worked well on the gun.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only glaring weakness I see with Rock Island is no Commander length mid size (4.25" barrel) in 9mm. The Tisas 1911 Carry offers the Commander length in 9mm which would be on my short list as I get older . Shorter sight radius for bad eyes , lower recoil to keep arthritis under control and since I do not reload - cheaper ammo cost with 9mm versus .45 ACP .

·
I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.
2,777 Posts
Does any one know for certian if the bore is chrome lined ? Ive seen some reviews and some discriptions saying its chromelined and others that dont mention it.
If you're asking about the Tisas pistols, some are and some aren't. Tisas models tend to evolve over time and I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple of chain-store-specific configurations. You'll need to dig into the product description or photo to make sure one way or the other. It is my understanding that all Tisas 1911 frames are hardened before machining and all barrels are cold hammer forged, though.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hi,
With the Tisas, you get a FORGED frame, slide and a CHF barrel!

With a RIA, not so much!

A Tisas, or Girsan, 1911 is a best buy to me, today!
How is that even relevant?
With so many different alloys and manufacturing processes being used today, forged or cast has little bearing on the the reliability or quality of a well-made firearm.
A standard- production firearm is a far cry from a race gun and will last for a very long time with either cast or forged parts.
Besides, you would be shocked to know how many cast parts are used in the engines of the jetliner you ride in for your vacation to Switzerland. And the planes consistently come home in one piece.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the Tisas Duty bought recently and the barrel is stainless. Mine has a loose barrel-to-frame fit. It also has not been reliable with semi-wadcutters despite trying several types of magazines (Wilson, Metalform, etc). Other serious issues have arisen as well but I’ll give them a chance to correct them before making any further comments.

·
I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.
2,777 Posts
I vote Rock Island.
I've done break-in and tuning on more than a dozen for family and friends, and recently bought yet another for myself- an Ultra FS 10mm.
I admit to a personal bias against the Turk guns- all brands- since they remind me of the Brazilian gunmakers that churned out clones in the 1970's an 80's.
Rock Island 1911's are not expensive compared to other makes. Tisas are cheaper yet. Makes something cheap enough and people will soon figure out why it is so cheap.
How is that even relevant?
With so many different alloys and manufacturing processes being used today, forged or cast has little bearing on the the reliability or quality of a well-made firearm.
A standard- production firearm is a far cry from a race gun and will last for a very long time with either cast or forged parts.
Besides, you would be shocked to know how many cast parts are used in the engines of the jetliner you ride in for your vacation to Switzerland. And the planes consistently come home in one piece.
On the flip side, I didn't need to break-in or tune my Tisas, unlike the RIAs you say that you had to. It just ran right straight from the box. Maybe THAT is relevant?
If you like your cast Filipino (clone) pistol, that's cool. I think it's just as legit to like my forged Turk (clone) pistol. In the end, they're both budget blasters (not that that is necessarily a bad thing!)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts