Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried several holsters and am finding that regardless of style (Desantis primarily) that I walk around pulling my pants up (jeans predominantly) while carrying my G27. I have one of the 5.11 TDU belts that I predominantly use, though I've also tried a standard thick leather belt to better fill the slide space on the holster, all to no avail. I'm thinking that the problem is the actual weight of the Glock more than the holsters/belts. Surprisingly, the Glock tactical holster seems to do the best job of distributing the weight (probably the key here) but I'm curious to hear others' comments.

In my late 50's more of the body distribution is around the waist and not up in the chest/shoulders.

·
Don't Jump!
5,001 Posts
There came a time in my life that I had to start wearing suspenders. The constant pulling up pants problem... solved. Sucks to get older.
I love suspenders. Walmart sells a Perry knockoff that clips over the belt. Easy on/off. My wife despises them... too bad. It is so nice to have pants stay up all by themselves.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks. I just put my Shield .40 on for comparison and it makes quite a difference as far as carry weight. May be best to just carry the Shield on me and keep the Glocks at home for SD. I DO still have a coupon for a GSSF purchase. Maybe I should give some consideration to adding a 9mm and get a single stack with less inherent weight.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
In my late 50's more of the body distribution is around the waist and not up in the chest/shoulders.
In our 50's we tend to be shaped like an upside down Christmas tree. I am constantly pulling my belt up higher as well. The only solution is a tighter belt, which for me hurts the back, or pocket carry. I guess suspenders would work, but I'm not going there. So I ride that fine line between a belt that's tight enough to do the job, but not so tight as to hurt the back.

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
You can spend hundreds of dollars on a handgun a few ounces less in weight or play around with different belts and/or suspenders or you can take a deep breath, think about the problem for a minute, and solve it for well less than twenty dollars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MENS-M...SHAPER-BRIEF-BOYSHORT-UNDERWEAR-/231038847900

When the guy from the electric company comes and needs to go up in the bucket to fix something he does not take a rope or two out of the truck and tie one end around the bumper and the other end around a tree or the light pole to keep the truck from rolling - he uses a wheel chock. Same concept.

·
NRA Life Member
5,447 Posts
You can spend hundreds of dollars on a handgun a few ounces less in weight or play around with different belts and/or suspenders or you can take a deep breath, think about the problem for a minute, and solve it for well less than twenty dollars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MENS-M...SHAPER-BRIEF-BOYSHORT-UNDERWEAR-/231038847900

When the guy from the electric company comes and needs to go up in the bucket to fix something he does not take a rope or two out of the truck and tie one end around the bumper and the other end around a tree or the light pole to keep the truck from rolling - he uses a wheel chock. Same concept.
I bet you're more popular in certain circles, too!

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Maybe try a belly band for carry so that the holster is independent of the pants? A SmartCarry or Tactipac
Holster is kind of like that too.

A thinner, lighter gun would help a lot though.

Also just as a general FYI, there can be some leg edema and vein issues from cinching a belt too tightly, as you’re basically tournequetting off the low pressure venous return lines.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Yeah, I figured that the loss of padding in the butt that I have makes it harder to keep pants tightened. I use a heavy leather Wild Bill's gun belt sometimes, but most of the time I wear a slide belt which makes it easy to tighten in small steps depending on the holster. I find the Glock tactical to be very comfortable and easy to carry. I also use an Outlaw kydex that hugs so close and tight it does not drag my jeans down. :fred:I have actually worn holes in blue jeans from pulling them up constantly, until I got the slide belt. It just works better than regular belts.

·
Practically a saint
6,436 Posts

Do they only come in black?

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
Maybe try a belly band for carry so that the holster is independent of the pants? A SmartCarry or Tactipac
Holster is kind of like that too.

A thinner, lighter gun would help a lot though.

Also just as a general FYI, there can be some leg edema and vein issues from cinching a belt too tightly, as you’re basically tournequetting off the low pressure venous return lines.
Yes, from the standpoints of performance, health and comfort, a looser, stiffer belt is much better. At least that's the way it is for me. For carry, my belt is like a barrel hoop, basically holding my pants open. Most of the resistance to downward force is coming from friction between the holster (wedge) and my body. But the belt is almost on top of the tips of my pelvis.

·
The Kindly Curmudgeon
4,282 Posts
Pocket carry postpones the eventual suspenders :fred:
Even with pocket carry, you'll eventually have to succumb. At least that's my experience.
As far as suspenders, the only ones that I have used that the buckle things don't slip, are the Carhartts, and even they are marginal. I may have to just sew the straps to the correct length.

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
10,396 Posts

:aodnsb:
Or you can deadlift, like a man, and keep your natural “padding.”

Reactions: Bead and Bruce M

·
NRA Life Member
5,409 Posts
Strap on a G17 or G22 and run that around for a week.

You will be back to *Loving* the G27 in no time.

Have you tried Appendix carry? It has been better for my back too, and accessible with the seat belt on...

Hope you find the best solution quickly!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Strap on a G17 or G22 and run that around for a week.

You will be back to *Loving* the G27 in no time.

Have you tried Appendix carry? It has been better for my back too, and accessible with the seat belt on...

Hope you find the best solution quickly!
Yep, I prefer OWB when available. The Shield hasn’t had me tugging for the last couple of hours.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts