Tire question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jim1970, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Jim1970

Jim1970 Learnin'

Hello folks,

Could not find a search button -- is it AWOL?

Need some seasoned advice on a tire purchase for my 2006 Toyota Tacoma Doublecab 4x4. Truck spends 98% of its life on highway or regular roads around town. However, in the winter, we sometimes get snow out the WAZZOO. So, the tires need to be good for occasional winter snow, but quiet on the highway and around town.

I visited tirerack.com and ran through their tire decision maker. Then I sorted tires by consumer recommendations. The top 4 were all General Grabbers - for around $100 a pop.

I'd like to hear from other folks -- are these tires going to meet my need? And, are they worth the price, or is there a less costly (but comparable) tire?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Jim,

I don't have the answer, but I never tire of your questions.

:supergrin:

3. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Cooper Discoverer ATR
    BFG All Terrain TA k/O
    Toyo Open country A/T

4. Jim1970

Jim1970 Learnin'

I love sarcasm! :cheers:

Jim

5. Jim1970

Jim1970 Learnin'

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will research them now!

Jim

6. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

You'll love the Coopers, they wear better than the BFG All Terrains I have on my Tahoe right now. I think when I bought mine I talked them down to $500 installed with rotation, which beats the heck out of almost a grand for my BFG tires.

7. ranger56528

ranger56528

I put Dueler A/T Revos on my 07 Tacoma 4dr 4x4 long box and like them alot,there about 140 each.Traded the Toyota in a yr later for full size F150......Will put Revos on that when its time too.

8. rjflyn

rjflyn

400 for a set of tires on a 4x4 isnt bad, considering my Scion xA made by Toyota no less runs about 300 for a set. I found the reviews of what I got to be spot on. I myself looked at the tires online but then went and found the same ones locally, paid a little more but with it comes lifetime care.

9. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...dVeh=dVeh&fcb=Michelin&fcpr=*&fcsr=&x=34&y=10

I used to be too cheap to buy good tires until my first set of Michelins. I'm on my second set for a different car. I also like BFG's, but I,d recommend Michelin LTX's for you. I've mounted tons of them with no complaints.

BTW, I also highly recommend Discount Tire, I would have them install mine again even if I were still in the business.

Good Luck.

10. Spankywombat

Spankywombat

Put the Grabber HTS's on my Pilot. Extremely happy with dry and wet performance......and snow performance is very good, given the past few days.

They sound expensive......but amortized over the 3 or 4 year lifespan, it's not that much of a premium vs cheapo tires. In fact, I would say it's idiotic to go cheap on tires, considering that they are the single most important contributor to any vehicle's handling, stability, and daily safety.

11. BigKid

BigKid

I was not a fan of the BFG A/T KOs. They handled fairly well off road but on road they felt really slick. I was never sure footed in dry, fair weather driving, which is probably about 75% of the time for me.

My favorite tires to date have been Mickey Thompson MTX radial (now named ATZ Radial Plus) but they got so expensive they weren't worth the price tag (about $150 each).

My recommendation is to keep an eye at Four Wheel Parts Wholesalers. Few times a year they run a deal 4 tires for the price of 3 for their Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrain Radial. They run great on road, in the mud, in the sand, and in dirt. I haven't taken them in snow yet cause they are still fairly new and we havne't had snow near me until just very recently. They run for $133 each regularly but if you factor in their semi-annual sales, you can get them for $100 each. I was told, unofficially, that they run their sales in the spring and in the fall. So if you can make it a few more months, that'd be my recommendation. I love the Pro Comp Xtremes.

I don't have any info on the tires you mentioned in your post though, sorry.

12. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

Are you at all able to swing having 2 sets of tires?

Snow tires for the snowy season and then "regular" tires for the rest?

This might be a better way to go rather than to have 1 set of all purpose?

I've never been through a Wyoming winter...nor have I ever had a P/U or an SUV; so I might just be talking crazy.

-J-

13. Unlocked

Unlocked 4 8 15 16 23 42 CLM

Spend the money for a set of Micheline LTX M&S. You won't regret it. ;)

14. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I put a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers on my pickup that have worn very well (even and slow) and provided me with very quiet highway and dry pavement driving as well as excellent traction in the rain. We don't get much snow here so I can't help you there.

I like the look of the Nitto's, they had a more aggressive sidewall pattern and looked very "all terrain" while preserving the ride quality and keeping the noise down.

15. Mwildt

Mwildt

2nd these, I have them on my 4Runner now and they are great.

16. SFCSMITH(RET)

SFCSMITH(RET)

Hated to spend the money up front, but in 30 years of driving 4x4's all over the world, Michelin LTX's are the best tires out there. Had them on my 'yota, My F150, will put them on the big Ex when it's due. Heck if they came in 275/40/17's I'd put them on the cobra.. well ok maybe not, it doesn't see the street if it's below 50 outside.

17. CU4X4N

CU4X4N 5th of November

This ^^^^^

The new Dueler A/T Revo 2's are even better!