GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Gringo Viejo
28,514 Posts
I went thru this in mid September when the temperature dropped. My tire pressure light came on and I filled the tires to factory specs. I drove it for twenty miles and the light stayed on. I found out my tire pressure gauge is off a few pounds. Finally got the light out by adding more air. tom.:fist:

Reactions: Sparky C

·
What did I come in here for?
10,945 Posts

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
116,456 Posts
Every winter the southern pansies crack jokes about weather.

Pro tip: You can make more money plowing snow in three months than you can make in a year bar tending on a beach.
Every winter you sad snowbirds migrate south to look for a car wash. :suntan:
Of course you need plowing money to pay for heating oil.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I've told this story before, but in the police academy during driving, they had two identical cars. One car had 25 PSI in the tires, the other car had 45 PSI in the tires. They had you drive both cars around the obstacle course/track. The car with 45PSI handled excellent, turned on a dime. The car with 25 PSI was flat out dangerous and killed cones like it was its job. It was a real eye opener, how just tire pressure can drastically alter a vehicles handling characteristics.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Also on side wall of tires, because the door sticker could be from 2005. I am sure if you drive a 2005, tires are not clone of factory tires.
Its true that the factory door sticker is the correct pressure to go with if your car has the OEM tires on it. If you change the tires to a different brand, different size, etc, then the OEM door sticker is just a guide line and is no longer valid. Its close, but not 100%.

Never look at the tires. It just has the max inflation pressure, which is not the proper pressure. Most cars call for 30-36 PSI and the tires max inflation is almost always 45 PSI on a P (passenger) rated tire. Some truck tires want 70-80 PSI or more.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I've told this story before, but in the police academy during driving, they had two identical cars. One car had 25 PSI in the tires, the other car had 45 PSI in the tires. They had you drive both cars around the obstacle course/track. The car with 45PSI handled excellent, turned on a dime. The car with 25 PSI was flat out dangerous and killed cones like it was its job. It was a real eye opener, how just tire pressure can drastically alter a vehicles handling characteristics.
Dry pavement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yes it was a dry course but they did have a wet skid pad portion too, and I dont recall what car they used for the wet course, of if they adjusted the tire pressure.
I would bet slightly lower psi would be better in adverse conditions. Probably to a certain point of course but better a little low than a little high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Descent Terminated
33,324 Posts
Not only that but running the gas tank close to empty is bad, both winter and summer.
.. & I have it on good authority (CNN ... :upeyes: ) Planes don't do well when outta gas, either ... :supergrin:

plane no gas.jpeg
[/QUOTE]

·
Descent Terminated
33,324 Posts
If the TPMS yells at me I do something ... Otherwise meh ....
Kidding aside, there comes a winter cold snap (hasn't happened in TX yet) that sets off all the TPMS's in my 'fleet' ...

Then I start getting calls from all the family members that constitute the 'customers' of 'Aircarver's Garage' ...

"Bring it by and I'll air it up" I tell them ... :upeyes:

·
Registered
18,127 Posts
All nitrogen does is separates money from your wallet. See post 33 above.
A few of the large OTR and fleet outfits went to the nitrogen in the tires thing. Some still use it others don't. Some of those using nitrogen stated that they saw a fuel and tire savings, others didn't. It all boils down to ROI.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
I just learned tire pressure is important on garden tractors.

The mower deck would not lift off the ground but everything looked okay.

The tires looked like they had air with no bulging on the side bottom but showed zero pressure. When I inflated them 19 on the front 17 on the back the entire tractor lifted and the mower deck lifts off of the ground now in the up position as it should.

I was testing a new good quality tire gauge. Cheap tire gauges are a pain to use and who checks tire pressure on lawn tractors if it looks okay.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I hate it when the recommended pressure is an odd number. The recommended pressure shown on the door sticker for my truck is 35 psi. How the hell do they expect me to get exactly 8.75 psi in each tire?

Reactions: talon and Sparky C

·
Registered
19,518 Posts
We keep our patrol cars about 5 over (usually 40psi). Minimizes sidewall roll and really helps with handling in emergency driving. Same when it is wet outside

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Every winter you sad snowbirds migrate south to look for a car wash. :suntan:
Of course you need plowing money to pay for heating oil.
My Brother moved up North and he sent me screen shots of the summer, 80 degrees.

Now that it's freezing ice and snow I send him my screenshot of 88.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts