GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
18,084 Posts
I put a set of 8 ply rated tires on the Honda Ridgeline. The tire tech said 40 pounds.

·
If the coronavirus doesn't take you out, can I?
1,007 Posts
Actually, it should be written on the frame and you see it when you open the driver's door.
Im an idiot, totally forgot about that.

Reactions: Sparky C

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Okay, all jokes aside, isn't it best to keep pressures at that recommended on the door sticker in order to get the best performance, safety, and wear?
Generally speaking yes.

I get best tire milage out of my van at about 42 PSI. MY passenger car about 36 PSI, which is what is written on the door post of the passenger car. The van also says 36 PSI, but I find extra pressure does best.

Of course it's all averages. But check the tires cold and un-driven. Also get a good tire pressure gage, not a cheap WM one.

Rule of thumb is the tire pressure will change one PSI for each 10 degrees of temp change.

So pick an average temp for your area and inflate accordingly, when the OAT is in the desired range, with no sun shining on the tires, and the car hasn't been driven for several hours.

Around here I use about 75 to 80 degrees summertime, about 30 degrees winter time to set my desired pressure.

Edit, if you don't have an air compressor, just over inflate them somewhat at the local place where you get air. Then drive home and park it in the shade. After a few hours adjust the tires to your desired pressure.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I'm on it.

Reactions: Sparky C

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
What the hell, I guess I will contribute.

If it gets cold out you may want to wear a coat. Maybe just a light jacket.

Reactions: flyover and mj9mm

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
you guys all got old cars? mine tells me when to check them...
just got new tires on my van, no worries unless i pick up some road spikes, at least for the next year....
so who uses nitrogen in there tires? i stopped using nitrogen last year out of convenience but it seemed like they were more prone to temperature change, although i thought it was used because it was better for that.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Oh oh, here is another one. If your gas tank gets close to empty you may want to add more gas to it.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Wait wait, if you feel hungry you may want to eat.

·
Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer
116,453 Posts
so who uses nitrogen in there tires? i stopped using nitrogen last year out of convenience but it seemed like they were more prone to temperature change, although i thought it was used because it was better for that.
I use a custom blend of 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen invented by God.

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
you guys all got old cars? mine tells me when to check them...
just got new tires on my van, no worries unless i pick up some road spikes, at least for the next year....

The tpms light comes on once you're about 25% below recommended pressure. It's designed to alert you that you're getting dangerously low. You could be driving around for months on low tires and the light won't come on yet. It's bad for tire wear and it's dangerous if you're hauling weight or a trailer in a truck.

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
I use a custom blend of 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen invented by God.
well... when you put it that way...
but seriously then, what is the reason Chrysler put nitrogen in the tires to begin with? i continued to let them fill them thinking maybe it would help prevent corrosion in my aluminum rims. i have mostly had cars with aluminum rims through the years and as the aged they were subject to leaking...

·
Registered
10,568 Posts
The tpms light comes on once you're about 25% below recommended pressure. It's designed to alert you that you're getting dangerously low. You could be driving around for months on low tires and the light won't come on yet. It's bad for tire wear and it's dangerous if you're hauling weight or a trailer in a truck.
sure... both my vehicles show tire pressure for each tire, i have checked them and they are pretty accurate. i just don't get the nitrogen thing.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Oh oh, here is another one. If your gas tank gets close to empty you may want to add more gas to it.
Not only that but running the gas tank close to empty is bad, both winter and summer.

Bad in summer, because it shortens the life of your gas tank fuel pump. The pump should run in liquid to cool it. It gets exposed when the gas is real low and runs hotter, thus shortening it's life. And those things are expensive to replace.

And in winter low gas promotes condensation, which is also bad.

·
Registered
18,084 Posts
well... when you put it that way...
but seriously then, what is the reason Chrysler put nitrogen in the tires to begin with? i continued to let them fill them thinking maybe it would help prevent corrosion in my aluminum rims. i have mostly had cars with aluminum rims through the years and as the aged they were subject to leaking...
sure... both my vehicles show tire pressure for each tire, i have checked them and they are pretty accurate. i just don't get the nitrogen thing.
The theory is that nitrogen allows the tires to run cooler. I have no idea if it works. I seem to recall that the SR-21 or the Space Shuttle had its tires filled with nitrogen.

Reactions: mj9mm
21 - 40 of 79 Posts