Tire Deals..??

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by MStarmer, Apr 10, 2007.

1. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

Going to need some new rubber pretty soon, I put 5000 miles on the Michelin Pilot Sports that came stock on my SV1000S. They are starting to get a little flat in the middle (I'm a weenie):) I figure they are probably going to go downhill fast from this point. A few years ago I was stuck replacing a rear tire spur of the moment (nail) and really took it in the shorts at my local dealer. Bought a tire I didn't want for way too much money plus mounting and balancing. Close to $200 just for one rear tire...

This time I'd like to be a little more prepared by going mail order and try to spoon them on myself. I know there are deals to be had out there and want to try and get a new front and rear for about $200 or so to the door.

I need the standard 120/70ZR-17 (58) and 180/55ZR-17 (73)

I thought I saw something last year that had buy a rear get a front free or something??

Any links or help would appreciated. Looking mainly for sport touring type tires as the majority of riding is commuting. Long mileage is a plus.

Thanks!

2. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

3. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

I have a set of race take offs, plenty of tread and life left for street use, but I am done with them on the track. If you want them PM me

4. Dandapani

Dandapani

5. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

No flame intended, but bringing mail-order tires to your local bike shop for mounting is like bringing your own meat to a restaraunt and asking them to cook it. HH

6. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

My local shop is more than happy to mount any tire I bring in.
    Charges $20 each. You're dealer is an asshat if he turns down $40 cash for 20 minutes work.
    I'm a big fan of Metzeler Roadtec Z6 sport touring tires. My last set lasted 8k miles on a ZX10R. This included several drag strip runs a few trips to the mountains, and a lot of commuting.

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Chapparal Motorsports is for the dog! We locals call it a "stealership". Try these guys out instead. Call & ask for Mike or Ruben and tell them that HT sends you. http://www.motorhelmets.com/htm1/bodyparts-tires-table.htm

My local shop doesn't care if I were to bring tires in or they provide the tires. They make money off labor anyway. Most of the times, they order the tires and resell it to me at extremely discounted prices and then charge me labor.

8. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I do it all the time and every time I remind them their markup is a joke. I'm not talking $10-20, more like $70-90. That's not called business that's called rape.

I've bought a lot of tires from Competition Acessories and a few from Motosport.com. Both have good prices and great customer service.

9. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

I understand your statement. They are an American independent shop,
    meaning H-D and iron horse ,big dog , ect. shop. I clean and polish bikes for them (for Free) I was in the cleaning business for 20+ years. I drink beer with these guys also. They get to make fun of my japasakies and I get to make fun of their boat anchors. It is a good deal for both Parties. Their tires are Dunlop 401, and 402 series. and they do not mind. Sometimes there is more going on than there appears on the surface. I do understand your comment cause it looks like that I robbing a small business. If you could hear some of the rips that go on between the cycle store owner and me , you might get a kick out of it. One Ex. they say they would not buy a cycle made by the people who did Dec 7,1941 to us. and my comeback was I would not buy a scooter from some S.O _. that burned Vicksburg to Atlanta. This goes on and on , nonstop. Neither minds the arangement.
    Not knowning our arangment led to the misunderstanding. I did buy this tire set from them. they had em.

Wanna Know the best polish?(Now it's gonna cost ya.)

No big deal. Good Luck and Ride Safe
    :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

10. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

Thanks for the tips so far. Any advice on a good commuter/sport touring tire?

11. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Metzeler Roadtec Z6, hands down the best sport touring/commuting tire made.
    :thumbsup:

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'll second the above and throw in a "yo!" for Pirelli Diablo Strada. They're almost the same.

13. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

I just had a great idea! Maybe I should just buy a new bike, it would already have new tires on it!!!

Just kidding... but I do really like the new Buell XB12X. No valve adjustments, and no freaking chain to mess with. Did I mention I hate cleaning/lubing chains?:yuck:

14. desmo

desmo

i love pirelli tires. i have them on all my bikes. diablo super corsa, on the 675. diablo corsa, on the monster s2r, sync's on the super moto.

15. RichBaker

RichBaker Guest

SWmototire.com has great prices, free shipping for a pair. Blaine's a great guy, and they race Baja...good place!

16. RichBaker

RichBaker Guest

Michelin Pilot Roads...good grip, good mileage. Or, Avon ST45/46.

17. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Guest

I'm trying a set of Continental Road Attacks on my ZRX1200R right now. I've got 1000 mi on them and like the feel. When I get really low in corners the back tends to slide out a wee-bit, but it's very predictable.

I bought my tires from a a member on www.zrxoa.com who's screenname is "cooncat". I got the set for $215 delivered to my door.

Here's a link with some Conti tire info:
    http://canyonchasers.net/blog/archives/75-Continental-Road-Attacks-Tested.html

Most of my local dealers have a pathetic selection of tires and it's typical for them to be priced ~$50 more than what I can find online.