close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tips, Tricks for cleaning up a K-Coted slide on a P220?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by silversport, Jan 23, 2010.

1. silversport

silversport

Tips, Tricks for cleaning up a K-Coted slide on a P220?
    Picked up a duty used 1994 folded slide SiG Sauer P220...Electroless Nickle frame looks very good...some shiny spots from the holster but very nice, no peeling...the slide was K-Coted...it has some scratches and what appears to have been rust/corrosion on the grasping grooves (I suspect from sitting in it's case after being put away dirty 10 or so years ago)...

After thoroughly cleaning the pistol I tried Flitz on the K-Coted slide as K-Cote is supposed to be a polymer like finish over the stock blue SiG used to use (not Nitron, not Ilaflon)...and it cleaned up a little bit and the rust/corrosion is no longer rust colored but you can tell there was damage to the grasping grooves from its presence before cleanup...

Short of refinishing the slide (a possibility) are there any ideas from you all on how to make this one a bit more presentable???...as for physically inside...after clean up it is really clean and I guesstimate (I know the previous owner) the round count to be about 1K...

Any help would be appreciated...

Bill

2. silversport

silversport

[​IMG]

I've over exposed the pic to try and detail the 1" scratch below the ejection port and the rust rash (since mitigated with Flitz) on the grasping grooves...I have no beef with finish wear from being carried but don't like that left from inattention...

Bill

3. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

There's some good advice over here: http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/446103313

4. silversport

silversport

yup...thanks...
    Bill

5. remat

remat

My P-220 had K-Cote and to be honest I didn't notice it being any better than my non-K-Coted Sigs. I tried to touch it up, but it never quite worked.

If you are thinking of having it refinished I had mine refinished in Robar Roguard which is pretty good. I have also had good luck with Nitrolon pistols (better than K-Coate). There are plenty of good finishes out there though.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  6. silversport

silversport

7. silversport

silversport

like it much better with the stock plastic grip panels...

[​IMG]

Bill