close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tips on Cable Internet Install

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bluzman, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Bluzman

Bluzman

I just bought a new modem here at the house. I called Cox Cable to give them the MAC address and they had a hard time getting it to Sync up. He showed I had a weak signal to the modem and scheduled a tech out. I had just put a brand new cable from the wall outlet to the modem so i was miff'd a little.
    The tech came out and told me my cable to the wall outlet wasn't a heavy enough cable. They use a better shielded and heavier gauge cable they make themselves.
    Ok, why four years ago when we bought the house and had them out to setup internet, didn't they do that?

So make sure you have a heavy duty cable going to your modem.

Also on the cable box mounted on the side of the house, Cox had ONE feed line split of into 7 outlets in the house. He told me the
    outlet in the computer room should be on a branch feed separate from the other 6 rooms. So he added a direct feed from the cable to my cable line to my computer room.

Now I'm getting twice the signal strength to my modem, which should stop the daily dropouts from my modem. This was a new house so i figured our cable wiring was good and we have underground cable and utilities here, so no weathered wires from street poles.

I've never was made aware of this in the past so I'm balking at paying Cox for a service call for work that was never done properly on the original install 4 years ago, on a brand new house.

Am I wrong?
    :soap:

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Yes, if you can't see that, its probably pointless trying to explain it.

IGF

3. blue0623

blue0623 2B1ASK1

The cable that the builders use is different from what tech carry on the trucks or more likely it was RG59 cable which is what you find at Wal-Mart or Radio Shack and we now carry RG6 cable which carries the return path better. And as for your install it depends if you have video and internet or just one of those as to how the install is done. With you just calling them to give them your mac(doing what we call a self install) we dont know how the house is wired there for having to come out and reconfigure the splitters is normal. And I don't know for sure with Cox but in my system the plant(cable system) is only designed for one line per house from the distrubtion box. Also four years is a long time as far as technogy is concearned it may have been fine when it was first installed. Not trying to offend you or anything but I work for a cable company in Texas so I'm just giving my point of view.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Exactly.

IGF

5. Bluzman

Bluzman

Thanks Blue, I'll let my friends and family know about that. I don't think any of them know how to make their own heavy duty cable, all I've ever seen is RG59 in the stores.
    Thanks, not withstanding the comments from the Indiana Peanut Gallery. The last time I was there in 98' they were still using Corn Cobs for toilet paper, much less having Cable Internet.