close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tips for someone just starting in corrections?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Gear, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Gear

Gear Silver C/O Silver Member

Ok I am somewhat new to GT and Cop Talk since its my first thread. I am going into corrections with my local Sheriffs Department this summer and was just curious if anyone had any good tips or info of what I should and shouldn't do on the job.

2. RocPO

RocPO

"No" should be your favorite word. It's easier to change no to yes then vice versa.
    EVERY ONE of them is going to lie to you. They've got 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to learn how to play people.
    Read "Games Criminals Play", forget the author's names.
    Firm, Fair and Consistent when dealing with inmates.
    They're NOT your friends. Don't do any "favors" for anyone not wearing your uniform.
    That goes for civilian staff too.

3. mesteve2

mesteve2

So will your family at home.

Think about taking a shower and change clothes and shoes before going home.

Take your duty clothes to a laundry and not home.

This might help.

Good luck.

Wash your hands after touching anything or any of the prisoners!

Go luck.

Not to scare you but educate you.:embarassed:

4. KillStick

KillStick

They will try and manipulate you like no other but don't give in. Always confirm what they say don't just believe them. Always try and keep some space when at possible from them, and always watch them. Don't let them walk around you, you walk around them. Be firm and fair, don't show bias and don't become friends with them. They will try just about anything to get what they want and they have all the time in the world to come up with ideas to achieve this.

5. KillStick

KillStick

^:thumbsup:

And to add they are going to do things that you would not believe, most just want attention while others are trying to distract you. They are going to try and get you upset and/or disgusted but don't give in. Being it will be your first day expect it to be a little crazy they know who is new and who is not this is when they will try to get away with stuff just be safe and careful.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  6. irish_ironsight

irish_ironsight

After 10 years of it, you might think I could answer this for you.. BUT

I was pretty much beaten to it.... Nothing you will learn here is being said to scare you but as already said to educate you.

The word of the day.. your all time favorite word should be "No"

If the need arises as has been pointed out, It's much easier to change no to yes, but tr changing a yes to a no and you risk creating all sorts of problems or even getting hurt ! (trust me I have prior experience of this one)

They all "LIE" to you, yes believe it or not criminals will "LIE" to you

Put yourself in their shoes and plan accordingly, remember 24/7 they are looking to get one over on you.

"Games Criminals Play" by BUD ALLEN & Someone Bonton, or Bosta.. look for it

Being FAIR mean's that you say "NO" to everyone all the time, until you figure out who your snitch is going to be, and then you too can play game's..

NEVER travel to or from work in Uniform ! NEVER as in NEVER
    Think about using your locker room, shower and change there!

If you have stairs, do not use the rail's, you can find nasty thing's on or under the rail's, you don't want to find a blade by accident.

The list goes on and on.............. watch their hands, watch their eye's, watch your colleague's closely and learn.....

Above all if you are not issued an anti stab vest consider buying your own ! and then when it's all over go home to your family, but don't involve them, they less they know the better, you don't need to be worrying about them worrying about you !

Stay Safe !

Oh.. in case things do go wrong, get yourself a hide away cuff key !

7. Gear

Thanks for the tip I will take that into consideration. It doesn't scare me I have decided LE enforcement is my destination so Corrections is opening the door for me into the field I am really looking forward to it. And thank you to everyone so far.

8. Gear

Thank you to you as well I never thought about not wearing my uniform to work but instead changing there. Thats a great idea thanks.

9. KillStick

KillStick

This job will continue to educate you everyday, you will never learn everything as it is always evolving, it really does make you pay more attention to everyday situations which can just save your life. Congrats on the job and I wish you the best of luck friend.

10. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Laugh at them when they eat poop. They're trying to freak you out - don't let them. Same goes when they play with the poop, or drink their urine. Not a big deal, so don't let it bother you.

11. KillStick

KillStick

Yup you have to have a sick sense of humor that's for sure:rofl:

12. Gear

I would say so that actually would be quite funny to see someone eat their own poo. :rofl:

13. irish_ironsight

irish_ironsight

:rofl:

We had a series of padded cell's in our Special Ob's unit, inmate's would routinely smear their own poo on the wall's, and would be happy to live in it for day's one end, they thought it was funny because we had to deal with it.

Suddenly when we switched cell's on them and they had to live in a padded cell decorated with someone else s poop. it stopped being funny for them.. so we would let them stay there a day or two then introduce them to a power hose....
    :rofl:
    Now That Poop's Funny !

14. blueiron

blueiron

PPE is your friend.

Become OCD about handwashing and cleanliness at all times, but especially before you go home.

15. TX50Cal

TX50Cal

I've worked in the Federal BOP for 10 years. All the info you have been given so far is right on the money. One thing you have to decide is how you are going to be and don't differentiate. If you are going to be an ******* be one evry day. If you are going to be easy, be one every day. The inmates will get to know you and you will have less problems than if you change all the time.
    Dave in TX

16. Gear

Hahaha that is hillarious they must really have been mad about that. :rofl:

17. Gear

Ok sorry guys I'm not trying to be an attention whore but what would you recommend for duty gloves?

18. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

We just use latex/vinyl type gloves issued, and I buy my own high-strength nitrile ones for searches (issued ones tear REALLY freakin' easily). As far as cut-resistant ones, I don't know anybody that really uses them, but if I were, I'd get the ones that will stop needles, like Turtleskin or whatever they're called now.

Looks like everyone else has covered the basics, though I'm still learning myself (started in January). Get a decent-size bottle of hand sanitizer to carry in your pocket ALWAYS, and a BIG (biggest you can find) refill bottle at home; you'll go through it like candy. That, gloves, and a good flashlight are what I use every day. Other than that, learn the inmates rules and rights backwards and forwards; if they have an inmate handbook like we do, get a copy and read it whenever you get a minute.

Most importantly, be you, and don't change it, like others have said. If the inmates know how you are, they will know how to act towards you, and things will run a lot smoother. If you're constantly changing how you act, it's going to confuse the crap out of the inmates, and there's going to be problems.

Watch out for yourself, watch out for your coworkers, and go home safe. If at all possible, leave work at work and home at home. I didn't think I could ever do that, but I was able to. Keep a rubbermaid tub just inside your door at home to put your boots in as soon as you get home, so you don't track the crap from work all over your home (ESPECIALLY important if you have little ones around).

As far as cuff keys go, wait until you're hired and know your agency's policy on them. We can only have issued restraints and restraint keys with my agency, as personally-owned keys have ended up in the possession of inmates (accident or design, who knows?).

19. irish_ironsight

irish_ironsight

Search with your eyes.....

If you go hands on with an inmate, riot control armored gloves.

For general searching I used motorcycle gloves.....

WHORE AWAY........ if you are listening & learning we wont care

Stay Safe

20. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

Like he said, search with your eyes wherever possible. For little crevices and blind spots (like the overhang on a door frame of a locker), I usually use a pen (theirs after asking permission, or a cheapy that I can toss if they don't want you to) or something similar.