tips for a soon to be first timer

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by plewi006, May 10, 2007.

1. plewi006

plewi006

i am going to be attending the waldorf md, GSSF match and this will be my first shooting experience becides the range and hunting. Any one got any good advice, do's and donts etc. Thanks alot PML Jr

2. Sandman_NC

Sandman_NC

Watch a few shooter's at the different stages to get a "feel" for the flow of shooting the targets then go give it a try.....relax & have fun! I hope to be there with a very good friend of mine. If you like to shoot, you will have a great time! :) Lots of very nice people will be there so feel free to ask questions at the match. :)

3. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

4. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Don't buy anything other than some practice ammo. Nothing fancy needed. Winchester value pack, Blazer, eq. will work just fine.

-Watch "the Todd Jarret Video" (available on www.m4carbine.net) on proper grip and adjust your grip accordingly. It seems small, but it is the MOST critical element to shooting fast and accurate and from many years of shooting GSSF & watching others, it is the most common mistake made by most.

-staple a few paper plates to a target next time you go to the range. Practice going from one plate to the other - but make good hits. Speed up, slow down - find your own pace & stick to it.

-try hitting 8" circle at 20 yards. Can you do it? How long does it take you? You want to try for a "clean" match (no penalties).

Don't forget the SAFTEY BREIFING you can do it on line at GSSF.com

5. Buoyboy

Buoyboy

I'd go to gssfonline and download the GlockReport.

It has good information on how the match will be run, what the range commands are, what the CoF are, etc.

It will give you an opportunity to do a mental rehersal.

It will be my first GSSF also.

Good luck,

Buoyboy

6. JonInWA

JonInWA

In addition to the above advice, I'd recommend Robin Taylor's excellent book, "The Glock In Competition"-MANY excellent tips and advice, and an excellent chapter by Bobby Carver on shooting GSSF.

Best, Jon

7. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

Concern yourself with hitting the target, speed will come later.

You can't miss fast enough to win.

8. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

All the information so far is great advice. But the most important thing at a GSSF event is to have fun! Meet new people, renew old friendships, exchange stories and congrat shooters on fine runs. Console each other if you think you messed up! But, enjoy the travel, enjoy the place hosting the match, paste targets, RO if possible and just experience the moment. GSSF events are to be experienced and felt and enjoyed as much as humanly possible. It's just not about shooting, it's about adventure.

9. malladus

malladus Glock Whore

Being a new shooter myself at a GSSF match (Mingus was my first, Pensacola will hopefully be the second) everything above is golden advice. I went with some other newbies and one guy who had been to a few matches already. Basically what I would say is:

1) Have Fun! First and foremost. I met a lot of really great people at the match and they made it well worth the trip alone.

2.) Get there early. I was nervous as heck, I followed some good advice and we got there early so I could wander araound and watch things a bit.

3.) Meet and talk to folks while you watch the shooters. It takes the edge off yet more, and you meet some interesting characters as well as everyone is willing to offer up advice.

4.) Let the RO know its your first match. All the ones when I went took a little extra time to make sure I understood the rules and sequence of fire for the stage. They all also did a good job of helping keep you calm and focused.

Personnelly I went with no high expectations for how I was going to shoot (didnt disappoint myself too much either). I practiced some before going (bought my pistol the night before) so I knew I wasn't going to show up and set records or anything. I enjoyed the day, met a lot of great folks and became addicted almost immediately. I learned a lot by watching the other shooters and talking with them to work on for next time. Met a lot of great folks as well that I hope to see again at future matches.

Malladus

10. TOULME

TOULME Guest

The best advice that I can give, other than the have fun and meet a lot of great people, is take your time shoot your game and focus on the moment.If you go faster than you are able to get in the 0 rings, 1 sec is a lot of aiming time......Do as I say not as I do......HA,HA:supergrin:

11. ede

ede

with the new prize distribution system it is also to your advantage to shoot as many classes as you can, plus it's more trigger time.

12. AJ Dual

AJ Dual

+1

Which is EXACTLY what I did not do at my first GSSF match last Sunday in Milwaukee.

At least I got a cool hat! :thumbsup:

13. roymail

roymail

What gear is needed to participate in one of these matches besides the your gun and hearing protection? Ammo? Mags? Specific type of holster? Any caliber requirements? What's the beginner course like? After shooting about a year now, I may give this a try. Thanks.

14. ede

ede

no holster needed, i say 4 mags at least so you can shoot a stage without reloading. you can figure out what gun is legal in what class by looking at the registration form at www.gssfonline.com

15. roymail

roymail

Thanks, ede. Lots of info there. I'm still reading but wanted to say thanks. Looks like lots of fun.

16. random42

random42

Ok, is there something magic about that site?
    All I see when I go there is a static page which hasn't been updated since 2005, and has virtually nothing useful on it.

17. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

18. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

First, make sure you are using IE, if you are, then try the refresh button in your tool bar. GSSF web signt works best with Internet Explorer.

Dan:cool:

19. random42

random42

Thanks, I tried IE from a PC and indeed saw the links at the top - unfortunately windowze totally locked trying to load one of the PDF's, but that was enough clue to find what I needed from my normal browzer (firefox on unix).
    It is truely an awful site...

20. roymail

roymail

The GSSF site worked just fine for my IE 6 browser. I was mostly interested in the information about the different courses available to shoot and how the targets are arranged. I had no problem finding it, but you have to follow links to get there.