close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tipping

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by The Dying Gaul, Apr 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

The thread on pizza delivery started me thinking about tipping. My wife always says I'm cheap when it comes to tipping and I must admit I don't like tipping. Don't get me wrong, I will leave a good tip for good service, but I don't like feeling that I'm obligated to tip.

Geographically, the worst place to be a begrudging tipper seems to be the Caribbean, where everyone seems to expects you to tip for the simplest assistance- enough already. While in the Caribbean last December, I felt like Steve Buscemi in Reservoir Dogs (a la the opening scene).

So who here dislikes tipping? What are your thoughts on tipping?

2. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

.........these thread are always fun as the real cheapskates come out!

I tip very well for good service, would never not tip or leave an insulting tip.

3. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

I always tip and sometimes I probably tip too well if the service is exceptional, the waiter/waitress was personable and friendly, or if I feel the waiter/waitress looks like they could use the extra cash. But the amount of the tip is usually directly tied to how good the service was -- or not.

If someone just hands me my plate at the table and I don't see them again until they bring me the check, forget it, you'll get a couple bucks, depending on the total cost.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  4. Hicksville Kid

Hicksville Kid

I think 20% is a nice tip.

A good friend of mine with tons of $ always says, "It ain't gonna make him rich and it ain't gonna break me."

5. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

I tip 20-30% for good service at a full-service restaurant, 10% for delivery or semi self serve, 1-$2 per drink for drinks.

6. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I generally tip "average" (15-18%) for average service. If I get really good service 25%. But generally, that level of tip is having my wife happy with the service and overall experience. In general, when things go wrong (i.e. something cooked wrong, etc) and the service still is good and they make things right, I still tip really well. What I hate is when things go wrong an dthen you are just ignored because they think tip is gone. Then it is a self-fullfilling prophecy.

But (didn't see that one coming huh??)

I DO NOT TIP AT FAST FOOD JOINTS OR STARBUCKS. That is not "service". "would you like that supersized" does not constitute service. The dude cooking my fries. He doesn't need a tip, thats his job.

-Dana

7. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

I tip well. I have vacillated over the reasons why. (trying to overcome a stereotype, showing off, being kind, whatever...)

I think the truth is, I follow the moniker that you simply dont ever, EVER, mess with people who serve you food. I am not going to be the "lesson" teacher with a bad tip at a place I plan on going back to. This is not about right or wrong, this is about people I dont know having access to my food.

I almost always tip between 30 and 100%. If it is a place that flat out sucked and I wouldnt go back, I will still tip 15%. What if I DO end up back there?

The other side of all of this, being a big tipper gets crap done. People are often shocked how well I get treated at the places I go.

8. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

There have only been 2 occasions when I did not leave a tip. Two hours at Denny's for lunch because your server could not handle 3 tables at once was the worst. I felt like walking out.

Beyond that I also tip well. I know they normally aren't making a lot to begin with. If they don't seem to try very hard, then they will get the average 15%, but I also factor in if its a busy hour.

9. IGotIt

IGotIt No Demlibtards

I generally follow along this too, and when I find a good server, I'll remember the name and ask for that person every time I return.

10. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

A few bucks won't make or break the bank, if you can afford to order pizza for dinner. As soon as the pizza is on the table, and the box is opened, you've forgotten all about it, anyway.

11. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

Average-Good Service: 18%

Exceptional Service: 25%+

Poor-Bad Service: $0.00

ETA: I can count on less than one hand the number of times that I have had such poor service, that I did not leave anything.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  12. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

Same here. Just a couple bucks for pizza deliveries.

13. southernshooter

southernshooter

I usually do 20% at a restaurant if the service is decent. Add a little extra to the 20% for home delivery since the guy (or girl) is having to drive their own car also.

14. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

I lived on Tips growing up. Mom working as a waitress. So, I am a good tipper if you do a good job.

I have tipped more than the bill was. The last few times going out. Probly tipped in the 50% range.

It is my belief sometimes people just need to know that not everyone is a jerk. I like making hard working people happy when I can.

15. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

I tend to frequent restaraunts that I enjoy, so I have to tip well. People remember you fondly when you tip well, and that could mean a lot.

16. jp3975

jp3975

Usually as much as i can afford.

20-100%

17. Glock13

Glock13

I usually tip around 20%. However, I have started to realized it has become a little ridiculous lately. Does someone really deserve $20+ for delivering me a $100 meal at my table?

My mother owns a small business. She is against the idea of tipping, although she still does. I don't think she tips 20% though, especially on more expensive meals. Her argument is why do only people who work in the food industry get tipped? She pays her employees and they do not get tipped, but they are expected to provide good service. I have to admit, after arguing against her, she did have a valid point.

18. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I tip well. Not as well as Rabbi, but well versus the standard.

I am an exceptionally good tipper, when warranted.

19. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

What about services like vallet parking or a short shuttle ride at an airport? Taxis?

In the Caribbean, I think over a weeks time I dropped a hundred bucks on tipping all the cab drivers? Everyone has their hand out.

20. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

You are definitely the exception, rather than the rule. But good for you for sharing the wealth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.