Tinted Car Windows

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by hubbard, Aug 21, 2007.

1. hubbard

hubbard

Does anyone have a recommendation of a good place in the Indianapols area to have my new car windows tinted? I do have a copy of the statute covering this matter. Indiana Code 9-19-19-4. Thanks

2. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

Sorry, I can't help you there.
    I do have a question maybe you can help me with. What about going to other states or cities and their laws, can they give you a ticket for the tint?
    I ask because I'm going to Arizona this winter and was thinking about tinting my car windows before I go.

3. Platz

Platz

Not much of a "car buff" so I can't speak for other places, but I have had two tint jobs done (several years ago though) at a place in Castleton. The name of the place is escaping me right now, but it's on 82nd and Bash.

Edited - name of the place is "waxwerks" - I believe spelled as such.

4. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

Where the old fire station was?

5. Platz

Platz

That I don't know.

It's near where the old shell gas station burned down.

6. R1Rider01

R1Rider01 Guest

i have my windows tinted 3% which is the darkest tint i could find. I do it all myself, its not hard, you just have to be gentle with it, and use liquid soap, just not too much. Alot of people dont know that,but soap is very important.

i would show you a pic but i cant find them.

* it is a ticket here in California, but its just a fix-it-ticket.
    Remove the tint and pay $10.

7. mpholic

mpholic

Did you ever think about the fact that if you tint your windows so people can't see in than you can't see in either. Before I get into my car I check out the back seat to make sure no one is hiding there waiting for my return.

I know this possibility is unlikely but still a possibility.

8. jmb79

jmb79

Waxwerks (or Wax Werks): E. 82nd St. on the corner with Bash St. Yellow building.

I have had three cars tinted there and all were done well. They stand by their lifetime warranty. The tint on my wife's driver's side front widow started to peel two years after application. Upon presentation of the receipt, they re-tinted the window for fee.

They also do detailing, stereo install, alarm install and all similar services.

9. epsylum

epsylum Guest

+1

I had my windows tinted by them on my first car. It never ever had a problem. Never peeled or bubbled and it was a black on black car that was never garaged so it got the full brunt of the elements. I jsut asked for the legal limit on the tint. I got pulled over for a headlight out once and the officer asked about my tint. I just told him that the place told me it was legal and let me off on that. I had the parts to fix my headlight on the way and informed him of it and he let me go with a warning.

10. hubbard

hubbard

I 'Goggled' automobile window tinting laws and found information on all the states. It was a little confusing with the 25%, 30%, etc. until I read the Indiana statute and discovered they are talking about 'light transmittal' percentages. There are also different percentages for different types of tinting. Also, different levels for front and some of the side and rear windows.

Thanks for all the input.

11. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

As you found out, light transmission rules vary by state. If one were permenantly moving to Arizona or Florida, I would wait to do the tint until you got there, as Indiana does not allow as deep a tint as many states.

12. Fenway

Fenway

I've heard mixed reviews on WaxWerks, although it sounds like people here have had luck with them. If I were to take it to a shop like that I would probably go to Zierbart. I have friends who tint so I've never taken my car to a shop.

I'm told the law in Indiana is around 30%. Not sure on the exact nunmber but 3% or "limo tint" would be considered illegal I believe. I have heard of Carmel cops pulling people over for tint violations.

13. IPDBrad

IPDBrad Guest

Ziebart did my old car. Looked great, never bubbled/wrinkled/peeled in 7 years.

14. SHINGLE MONKEY

SHINGLE MONKEY

Tint king on pendelton pike and 465 is a good place.

Its not as getto as the name applies, the guy who owns it and does the tinting is actully white:supergrin:

He is a good guy though.

15. eprn

eprn defib jockey

I used to be on a fire department in a small town in OH. The cops there bought one of those tint-measuring machines for use "on patrol." Tint violations became a nice source of revenue for them. They didn't care what plates the car had.

I guess it depends on the cop or, even more importantly, the attitude of the driver.

16. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

That is one of my concerns.
    If I get window tint that's legal in Indiana what happens when I go to Ohio, which has a different tint law? From what you said I could get ticket depending on the officer. Bummer.

17. eprn

eprn defib jockey

When I was a teenager (living in OH), the "urban legend" was to never take a tinted car to IN, because their laws were so strict. I have no idea how they compare now.

I wish I knew. Sorry.

18. k12lts

k12lts

My son bought a new Mini Cooper S when he graduated from Purdue in 2005 and had the windows tinted at one level darker than legal (20-25% I think, same as local police cars around here).

He moved to Florida for a job and got stopped by a FHP officer that had one of the meters to check the tint and got a ticket. He could fix the tint and get no fine or pay $75 for the equipment violation. He chose to pay the $75 and keep his tint. In Florida he saw many cars everyday with darker tint than his and the locals said they had no problems. They may just pick on the out of state drivers.

Florida laws are the same as Indiana for the driver and passenger side windows, the rear side and back windows can be darker.

Most windows are tinted darker than the legal limit. The 30% is not very dark. It almost looks like dirty glass.

19. ian2000gsxr

ian2000gsxr

I've only personally used zeibart on US31 S around the greenwood mall. They only will go as dark as the legal limit, so that is what I got. It was 20% on the back and 30% on the front if I remember. They also have a lifetime warranty. A few friends of mine have used Paul's Auto Glass in old town Greenwood. They will do any darkness you want and seem to do good work.

20. pupcuss27

pupcuss27 CLM

ZIEBART'S GREAT, DETAIL WORK ALSO GOOD! :thumbsup: