close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tinnitus

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nemesis., Apr 27, 2012.

1. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

You're never alone.

Man, I wish they'd had electonic/any hearing protection back in the day.

2. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

got it in my right ear. eah it sucks. truck battery blow up t inches from my head and my ear was right there , BOOOM . 3 YEARS LATER AND STILL RINGS .

3. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

Sorry, bro, but thirty years later and it's still going to ring.

4. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

yep , if not for white noise id go ape **** crazy . i gotta sleep with a box fan wide open lol wife hates it but oh well

also im a farmer im 43 grew up around loud noises , nobody knew to wear anything , i dunno .

i have wore protection ever since battery blowing up . and now when mowing the grass i will take them off for a sec , and cant believe how loud it is , and all those years without it grrrrrrrr

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  5. DrMaxit

DrMaxit Dirtbag Airman

Yep, Its a real pain in the ass. I have it severely in both ears. It's really trippy sometimes, esp when you're lying in bed.

6. The Maggy

The Maggy

M4, 249, 240b all fired off of my right shoulder for five years, day in and day out. We had hearing protection but you were ridiculed if you used it. Add in a few home made fireworks while in Iraq and I was left with ringing in my left ear and I can barely hear a cell phone put on speaker out of my right.

Caffeine, chocolate, and alcohol make the ringing worse. Avoid those three things late in the day.

If I could do it all again, I wold opt for the 20 cent earplugs every time.

Now, people look at me funny because I do wear earplugs under my helmet when I skydive. The engine noise and the wind blowing at nearly 200mph is something that not a lot of people think about. You got to protect what you have left because it is only going to get worse if you dont.

7. Ironbar

Ironbar

For those of your with tinnitus, you might want to speak with your doctor about a trial of Acamprosate. This is a drug used to treat alcohol addiction, but several studies have shown that it also helps people with tinnitus!

8. deputy tom

deputy tom

Forty years of ringing in my ears. Should have been wearing hearing protection but never thought of the long term damage I'd done. tom.:crying:

9. tongix

tongix

I ve shot 550 rds of .22 LRs with my Ruger 5.5 bull in the 90s and didnt wear muffs. I felt like walking in the moon for several days. Never would i do that again.

10. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

A few months ago (1/26/12, in fact) I was brushing my teeth and turned my head and heard an audible crack in my neck. Ever since then my left ear has been ringing. It's almost gone now (or I've gotten used to it), but for the first few days it was distracting to the point of debilitating.

11. mingaa

mingaa

No cure. I notice it more at certain times - not sure if it's worse or I'm just quiet and paying attention. I do seem to have some food cues that turn up the volume. I've learned to live with it and thankfully it does not affect my sleep.

12. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock Zombie Hunter

My dad has it pretty bad. His Doctor told him it was from shooting guns, working constructuon, and one time while he was fixing something on one of the trucks, gas somehow got in his ear.

He tried everything and nothing works. The only thing that prevents it from flaring is staying away from caffine. He drinks caffine free soda, decaf coffee, and water.

If he does drink caffine beverages, it gets really bad.

13. saddlebum

saddlebum

i take quietus it helps

14. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

I've had it since I was a kid, thanks to numerous ear infections. So long as there's noise in the background, like a fan in the bedroom when I sleep, it's bearable.

An interesting bit of trivia: When William Shatner was filming the Star Trek episode, "Arena", one of the pyro explosions went off very close to him, and damaged his hearing, causing tinnitus. He said it got so bad at one point, he considered suicide. Nasty stuff.

15. racer11

racer11

In the early 60s I was racing Go-Karts on sprint tracks. Back then the 2 stroke engines did not have any mufflers at all, just a open exhaust. You cant even imagine how loud 15 or 20 Karts in a race sounded like. Years later they found out that a tuned exhaust made more HP but it was too late for me.

16. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I... wonder... if that ... explains his ... distinctive ... delivery... :supergrin:

17. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

Aspirin and other NSIADS like ibuprofen and naproxen are triggers too. There are a lot of chemical substances that will damage or destroy hearing too. Many anti-biotic drugs are especially bad. Google "ototoxic medications".

18. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

I've had it since 02, you get used to it really.

19. owl6roll

owl6roll

Yuup!! My dad had an anvil and I would bang on it with a hammer, when I was a kid, little kid. My ears would ring and I thought that was fun. The paint chips didn't help either.:dunno:

20. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

Were they McCulloch Karts? We had 2. Yes, very loud, but then their chainsaws Dad used in his logging business were just as loud. Never heard of ear protection back then.:steamed: