close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tinnitus

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gonetodarkside, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

Who has it? How long have you had it? Do you know what caused it? What does it sound like for you? Anyone have any ideas on ways to make it not so bad?

I first noticed mine after a concert in high school,about 12 years ago, it was Pantera. This wasnt the normal ringing after a concert, which would only last for a day or so, this was bad for a couple weeks if it even got any better at all. Im pretty sure I have had the ringing sense then. Im sure that I did more damage after that shooting without hearing protection.

For me, it sounds like a high pitch ring that is about the volume of whatever noise is in the room. I have heard there is a doctor who was experimenting with a shot in the ear drum that relieves the ringing, and I allready called on but haven't yet purchased any Quietess.

2. armorplated

armorplated

Mine came from hunting before hearing protection was even available. The worst, I suppose, would have been dove hunting where I would fire several boxes of shells. My tinnitis sounds like cicadas, sort of. There is no cure nor remedy. Some things, like caffeine, irritate it. Here's some stats re tinnitis and shooting.

3. DustyBottoms

DustyBottoms

I've had it for years. I got it from the steam fields when the escape valves would open after a fault.

Unless I listen for it the sound is ignored by my brain. This is what to expect. eventually the brain cancells it out.

Just typing this has made mine come back.:wow:

I also can't hear any sound above 11,000 cycles.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  4. SpectreRider

SpectreRider Armed Citizen

Go read the wikipedia page re: Tinnitus.

It is pretty good. No medical cures but some treatments that work for some people.

Mine is a high pitched tone about like the tones they play into your ears during a hearing test. I expect that I picked it up in my teen years from rock music and firearms.

I am now (too late) a zealot about hearing protection. I have not found anything that makes the ringing subside (cutting out alcohol, caffeine, noise) but I can make it worse for a time if I am exposed to any loud noise.

5. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

Had it for the last 5 years or so. I think what sent me on the way was way too many rock concerts in the 60/70's. The one that did it was the Deep Purple "Machine Head" tour. Great show. Third row seats. A wall of Marshall amps, "Smoke on the Water". Anyway, last few years, a constant, high pitched ring. Slowly getting louder and louder. Still manageable at this point. I see many physicians a day in my job, and at this point there is no permanent cure. You can try various drugs, anti-depressants, siezure drugs, may/may not work. Side effects will probably be worse than any benefit you may achieve.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  6. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I got it in my left ear. Comes and goes. Mostly gone lately, but at seeming random it'll break out in full song.

I posted about it a while back, but the checking I had done (ENT visit, etc) didn't get me any satisfaction.

7. FL Vet

FL Vet

USMC. Explosions. Ringing.

For over 5 years now. I've learned to just live with it now.

8. Riggs23

Riggs23

I have it...all the time. I have to leave a TV on to sleep. Mine is courtesy of the USAF. However, I don't regret it....had a great time and I'm lucky ringing ears is my only problem....LOL.

9. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

got it in right ear 3 years ago , when a truck battery decided to blow up with my head 4 inches from it . i was bent over looking thru the raised hood telling my wife to start truck , then click boom!!!!!!! got acid alittle on my left forearm and wrist but i was damn lucky it did not blind me . had no acid on face at all , rushed to hospital right ear bleeding i thought it was done , but a piece of battery lodged in my canal and cut it , but did not rupture the ear drum . could not hear for 3 days . arm burnt spot about the size of tape measure . scar finally healed.

found pieces of that battery 100 ft from truck . am im damn thankful all i got is some ringing every once in awhile.

after that i bought a complete face shield and googles and i dont take messing with a battery for granted anymore!!!!

10. as400guy1

as400guy1

Busted my eardrum when I was 18 months old (1962). Had it ever since.

It doesn't bother me a bit........

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHH!

11. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

White noise, like waves helps a great deal. The beach is about the only peace my old man gets anymore.

12. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

very true , i absolutely have to have a fan on beside me to sleep , if its quiet i go crazy lol. i even take a battery powered fan camping with us .

13. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

I have it but only hear it in the evenings when I think about it.

14. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

I know, mine is really loud since I started this thread. My bad, what was I thinking??? :crying::steamed: :wavey:

15. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

I got a lot of ear infections when I was very small. I'm guessing that's what caused it, but nowadays, I sleep with a fan on the bedroom, just for the background noise. Otherwise, the ringing can be unbearable.

16. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

I've got it bad in one ear. Began from a single incident of clenching my teeth too hard. Manifested as TMJ or temporal mandibular joint syndrome, and TN or trigeminal neuralgia. The excrutiating TN symptoms went away after 2 months, thankfully, and the TMJ symptons lasted about 4 years. One molar was cracked and caused nerve problems so it was removed.

Last fall I caught a cold and my eustacion tube closed and hasn't reopened, muting any sound except the screaming tinnitis. Hearing still tests good but I know differently. It sucks and I don't know what to do about it. Surgery doesn't appeal to me much. I don't think medical science has progressed very far in understanding and treating hearing problems. I think man will cure cancer before remedies for tinnitus and TMJ are found.

I've shot guns all my life and have used ear plugs and muffs since I was twelve. When shooting highpower, I use both plugs and muffs. Only 2 or 3 hunting shots a year may be unprotected, but I'll use plugs in hunting situations if I have enough time to put them in. I also use ear muffs every day when using any noisy tools, the vacuum, tractor, heavy equipment..., always. I keep several pair of ear muffs around the house and shop.

For me, small amounts of salt or aspirin causes a quick and dramatic increase in ear ringing, so I use them carefully, and limit alcohol use. If anyone has had good results from any remedy I'd like to know about it.

17. BSA70

BSA70

Mine occurred 20yrs ago when I decided to unload a .38 quick with out hearing protection. Believe it or not, it is about gone. It will comeback slightly with a head cold. It really use to drive me crazy. I use to sleep with a fan going, advise of the doctor, to help me sleep. I still use the fan because I got addicted to it.

I turned it into a positive. I use not to think about hearing protection. Since that, I am very careful.

I cant help but think about the hours I mowed grass as a kid without protection.:crying:

18. shavedape

shavedape

Had it for the past year. Came on very suddenly, in fact the term is "sudden senonaurial hearing loss" which brought with it tinnitus. My ENT couldn't figure out the reason for it. At any rate, the tinnitus is a result of the brain trying to connect to what is now a dead nerve/nerve endings in the inner ear. Some days are horrible and others not so much. White noise will help keep you distracted from it, which is what you want. If you focus on it you will only drive yourself crazy.

As for supplements that help it I have zero faith or belief in any of that crap. My ENT gave me "Lipo Flavanoid Plus" to help with my ear, which turned out to be nothing but a vitamin pill. I even quizzed him on it and he shrugged and said it couldn't hurt. They did absolutely nothing to help the tinnitus. I eat healthy and take vitamins anyway so it was stupid and dubious I believe. Why dubious? Because they charge $32 at Walgreens for a bottle of generic vitamins but get away with it because they fool people into thinking it is a magic pill to help the ears. It's not, it's a vitamin pill. Don't be fooled.

As for that "Quietus" crap, don't even get me going on that. It's homeopathic "medicine" which is complete and total BS. You'd be better off flushing your money down the toilet. Normally I don't go in for government intervention into business but in this case I make an exception. There is zero proof that homeopathic "medicine" does anything, zero, nada, zippo. It's shocking that this company can even advertise as if it's a genuine medicine that is proven to work. It's not. Again, it's a load of crap. Where is the FDA when needed?

And please be careful before undergoing surgery to try and fix the problem. Research it until you're exhausted. Unfortunately there is no quick fix to this issue and you could end up feeling worse in the long run if you try to have your ears drilled and what not.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  19. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

oh yeah. a high, monotone ringing. high BP, coffee and alcohol turn up the volume. i have to sleep with a fan going to drown the noise out. over 100 rock concerts, and shooting without hearing protection when i was young and stupid(er). haven't sought any treatment. have difficulty hearing high pitches and unfortunately, lung sounds. sucks, for a nurse.

20. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

What?

Will someone answer the darned phone!

And shut off the crazy alarm!

Now, what did you say?