Time to throw in the towel on remote grade school?

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Dave Lively, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Yes, close the schools until in person classes can resume

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. No, remote is better than nothing

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  1. KYBoy

KYBoy

Wife is an elementary school teacher. When the semester started, parents were given a choice of either sending their kids to school or keeping at home with remote learning. School isn't "normal" with all the COVID precautions but after 8 weeks of school, there have been NO COVID cases reported either among teachers or students. More and more parents are opting, now, to send their kids to school.

We are just a small, rural, school system but I have been impressed with their planning, and executing, of COVID precautions and attribute the success to their efforts.

Staying locked down IS NOT AN OPTION for society. Universities may be having issues (not that college students would behave stupidly) but elementary, middle, and high schools are showing that school can go on.

MB-G26 and n2g like this.
  2. norton

norton

First of all I come from a family of public school teachers. Both my father and sister were teachers for many years. Uncles, cousins also are teachers.
    There is a learning curve for every job. College might prep you, but only on the job training will get you ready to perform. btw, both my Dad and my sister were members of the teachers union, which at least here in Indiana includes the vast majority of public school teachers. The Union is left wing and powerful, with tremendous clout in the political arena.
    I never said teaching was easy. I know it isn't. But then the majority of jobs performed by every day folks are not easy. And they all required effort and dedication for success.
    I worked in P&C insurance for many years. We had state requirements as well, and we learned them on the job. Education never stopped as we attended seminars just as teachers do. I have a college degree, but it really didn't prepare me for my career other then the necessary requirement to have the sheepskin to get an interview.

3. B C

B C

Shows how genuine the left are that they can flip flop on issues so quickly.

4. Vic Rattlehead

Vic Rattlehead

There should be a third option— stop this madness and get back to in person learning. My wife is a Catholic school teacher, and my 4 kids attend her school. They’ve all been back live for a over a month now. No cases of Covid, no issues (except for the silly masks and social distancing)- and this is in a heavily populated suburb of Chicago. The public schools are making a terrible mistake. Remote learning is a farce and something like 99.997 percent of kids are unaffected by Covid-19. All schools should be open. This mass hysteria will go down in history as one of the great all time sins of mankind.