Time To Quit

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by ede, Jun 29, 2019.

1. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Red dot and single action trigger come to mind

Hey man, even if you finish last you're still in better shape/more prepared by competing than 99% of shooters.

Don't beat yourself up

We have some old guys show up and I love seeing them out there. Some shoot like lasers but can't move well. Some can't shoot or move well. Who cares? We just enjoy their comaraderie and I believe they do as well otherwise wouldn't show up

ede and STI like this.
  2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

You are a good shooter. I think you even have some championships to your name.

So if you feel yourself doing worse it must be discouraging.

But you are still very good. I'm sure it is just too easy for me to say, but I suggest you keep competing because you can.

Try to enjoy what you still can do :)

pgg00 and ede like this.

3. AndyK

AndyK

You know, I've considered slowing down on the matches also. I ha v e 3 more tier 2s this year and next year I think I'm staying local. The prices are getting out of hand plus travel and lodging and food, getting to be to much. I quit rimfire Challange when NSSF sold it. Getting to old for running and gunning. I could shoot steel every weekend within 2 hours of me. I think that's the plan for next year.

4. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

I don't have arthritis on my hands and my eyesight is still not that bad, but I quit competing some years ago. Waking up early, the long drive and spending most of the day at the match and then going to work the next day does not suit me anymore. Many times I find myself just losing interest and just dragging my ass to a match. I knew then, it wasn't for me anymore. Good thing I did not invest on high dollar competition guns.
    I did manage to have some divisional wins and stage wins. I have plaques to prove it. I can't really say I am a bad shot. :)
    Maybe I'll get the fever for it again someday.

5. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I keep seeing this pop up and thinking it says "Time to Quilt".

6. fishhunter3

fishhunter3

I did once for several years, but came back to it, tomorrow start my super senior tour and still win an occasional stage and even a local every once in awhile

7. jk_226

jk_226

Some guys I know with aging eyesight have had good results with TruGlo sights.

They have a big fat front sight and a wide notch. I've only dabbled in IDPA, so I don't know how this would affect what class you shoot in. Also not sure what revolvers they're available for.
    [​IMG]

8. hardluk1

hardluk1

ede Try pulling the trigger with your middle finger so long as not some tiny bug handgun ! I've had " trigger finger " surgery on both my index and middle finger other wise known as stenosing tenosynovitis . I do not have the same same level of strength in my index finger as my middle finger and a smooth pull on the trigger was slow to come . I found I could pull the trigger well or better with my middle finger . Now I'm not shooting lite weight pistols were grip control might be an issues but for two hand grip shooter ot even a all metal full size its not a big deal so long as your reach is not to long for good trigger control !!

If you think I'm nuts do a google search - middle finger for trigger finger and read awhile .

Match shooting really is not like CC in that you know at a beep to draw or pick up your handgun so not like your reacting to a BG .

9. W@rbirds

[email protected]

If its USPSA- engage the target & move on. Dont stand around emptying mags when you dont have to.
    Taking the mikes and not letting it get in your head is faster anyway.

10. Buoyboy

Buoyboy

I ended up getting a set of glasses with my shooting eye set for sights and my non-shooting eye set for distance. I'm a one eye shooter. I'm a MD and SO so I have to be able to see what is going on at distance. It was an adjustment the first couple of matches but it seems my brain has figured it out.

11. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

I shot pistol "Combat" matches long ago and did pretty well. Those matches were WAY too "type A" high strung for my easy going attitude.

Years later, I got into high power rifle competition at 200 & 600 yards. Those shooters are much more laid back/relaxed and it suited my personality. I did that for almost 8 years and enjoyed it a lot!

Several things kept me on a straight path during those years:

Poor preparation beat most of competitors. Those guys actually beat themselves! They'd bring the wrong ammo, leave their bolt carrier groups at home, install a primer upside down and a wide variety of things that should never made it to the firing line!

My gear, ammo and rifle were always checked and double checked. Every round was checked with a gauge and all primers inspected. When the firing line opened up, that gear was ready! That preparation was a key element in enjoying competition!

When wind, heat, rain, noise, cold, bugged me, friend Bonnie reminded me that all the rest of the shooters were dealing with the same conditions. That eased my mind.

I quit competing with others. My scores were in competition with MYSELF, not the other shooters!

Try these things, it made competition much more enjoyable!

Flash

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Always wanted to try Course Shooting. Advertised as 'fun time' and 'friendly', but when I see some of those guys showing up with their shirt full of patches and tricked out pistols with $$$ race rigs, I know their type: they always turn it into a supercharged competition to beat everyone else. I'm a pretty decent shot, I think I might get a good score, but I really dislike dealing with those kinds of inflated egos.

cheygriz likes this.
  13. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

I shot NRA Bullseye for years.

Two things made me give it up.

Number one was declining distance vision.

Number two was the growing preponderance of $5,000 PLUS hand build guns

glock1097, treg and Doc Holliday like this.
  14. W@rbirds

[email protected]

I view it a little differently.

Someone is always going to have a faster horse & older whiskey.

I’m honestly out there trying to run my own race. Trying to improve myself. I also want my kids to see me compete and yes to see me get beat, not for my ego but for them to know to perform well- it takes practice and hard work.
    If a pro with a handbuilt open gun beats me- so what?

How did I execute my plan and how well did I shoot?

The days I shoot my worst are the days I am out there trying to outrun someone else.

I ask myself:

What did I do well?
    What could I do better?
    What am I going to do about it?

cheers

15. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Doc, what is "Course Shooting"?

16. BillOH

BillOH Millennium Member

17. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

You’d be surprised how many people with logo’d out shirts and tricked out race guns don’t finish near the top.

Collo Rosso likes this.
  18. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

Actually, it was your ego.

I'm not saying I'm immune to it, actually quite the opposite, but at least be honest with yourself.

19. cheygriz

cheygriz God Bless Trump

Ego has nothing to do with it.

I have enough trophies in my display case to more than satisfy my ego.
    But my 75 year old eyes can no longer compete with 25 year old eyes.
    And my old match pistol, even though it's a tack driver, cannot compete with $5,000 hand built jobs.

glock1097 likes this.
  20. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

So the choice is to go to the match, not do as well as you did when you were younger, or stay home and post on glocktalk about it?

[email protected] likes this.