Time to put the Hayabusa back together

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by emarsh, Jul 5, 2005.

1. emarsh

emarsh

Look like there is all sorts of neat new stuff on GT, including this forum. :)

I've been so busy with our business that I've had to set a lot of my other interests to the side. Today I decided that my bike hasn't been running for waaayyy to long and got started on getting it back together.

A stock 2000 Hayabusa in a good state of tune is capable of running about 194mph on top and somewhere around 144mph in a quarter in the high 9 second range. Its understandable and pretty well expected that one would want to try to improve on such a low level of performance.

I put a turbocharger on mine and bumped the displacement to 1400ccs. The results were not earthshaking but it was enough to bump the power from 150hp to 300hp at the rear tire. I've gone 9.50 in the quarter at 158+mph on a worn out old street tire, spinning to half track and then starting to boogie on the second half. With a better tire the bike has gone 160, but that is at least 10mph short of where I want to be. Zero to 170 in three blocks is really about the minimum one should expect from a stock wheelbase street bike, don't you think?

I split the cases at the end of last season because the tranny was starting to pop out of gear. I ordered a Motorhead undercut trans. While I was in there I decided to upgrade a few of the components that are prone to failure when the boost level goes up. The stock rods become marginal at about 320hp and the stock head bolts start to stretch at about 18 pounds of boost so those components were replaced. I also put in a better set of valve springs to offset the loss of seat pressure caused by boost pushing on the backside of the intake valves.

With these mods I should be able to push the power to about 350hp before the injectors and turbo runs out of flow. Not a huge gain but it should improve reliability and at least there won't be too many people accusing me of riding what Arnold would call a "girly bike." An intercooler would be nice and could be worth 50hp but its not in my budget right now. After that the next step is an bigger turbo and bigger injectors.

My old header is in sad shape too so I am welding up a new one. To accomplish this I first made a fixture from an old head to properly locate the collector so that the turbo will be mounted in the right location. Then its a matter of fitting and welding the pieces together. When the part is done I will send it to JetHot for their metallic/ceramic coating.

Some pics:

1> The old and new cylinder bolts. See any difference?
    2> 1397cc forged piston and a new tool steel knife edged rod. Should be good for at least 450hp.
    3> The windmill and wastegate
    4> My ratty old header
    5> These are really helpful when building headers and other things
    6> Parts used to build the new header
    7> A slightly used Hayabusa head I borrowed. This is what happens when timing chains break.
    8> A fixture I welded up to put the collector in the right place. Ugly but effective.
    9> The collector properly located on the fixture
    10> The first pipe is in place and the second one doesn't fit. Now the fun begins.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

'Busa owners are insane.;)

That's a wicked bike.

I'd like to someday get a 'Busa or ZX12R to park next to my ZRX1200R... for the days I don't wanna feel the wind.

(BTW, kudos on the highly effective welding jig^c )

3. emarsh

emarsh

The 'Busa's not a bad bike for an old guy like me (51 - I've been riding and racing since the early '70s). Its not a featherweight but it handles well and has good torque. When I first got mine I figured that a fuel injected nine second bike is all anyone would need for street use. Guess that for some of us, no matter what we ride we just want something a tiny bit faster. That need for speed thing, you know. Well, OK, I might as well admit it and get over any delusions that a "little bit" faster is enough.

Of course at some point physics impose limits. Soneone who is in a position to know was asked what is the safe upper power limit for a street bike. He said that anything over about 450hp could get dangerous. Has somethiing to do with 180-190mph vertical wheelies.

4. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I agree, there's always the need for more.

I'd been riding dirtbikes for years, a 2001 CR500R for the past two. People say, OMG how could you cnotrol a 500cc 2-stroke 230lb dirtbike... Granted it's power is instant, and it's got a lot of it. But you learn how to position your body and when you can safely open it up.

Then my wife surprised me with my first streetbike, the 2002 ZRX earlier this year. The bike brought me a whole new dimension of "fast". One good yank on the throttle your drifting the front end up and going 80mph, just in a few seconds.

You could easily frag yourself on a bike like that. But through experience you learn when you can push the limit. The faster the bike, the fewer the opportunities, and you shouldn't ever force it.

Honestly, my favorite part of haveing powerful bikes, isn't the top-end performance, it's having all the low-end grunt. Being able to pull good power from 3K RPM is a really smooth feeling.

emarsh, bless up with a finished pic when you get it.:cool:

5. emarsh

emarsh

I hear what you are saying about not being able to use it on the street. To be honest, a turbo on the street is almost useless. When it starts to make power it just lights the tire. I did a high gear roll on at the track with a cold race tire on and at 90mph the boost came on and the tire spun up to 120.

I make it down to the drag strip now and then and that's where I can really ride the bike. As you say, its easy to get swatted on the street. And to be honest, the level of performance I can achieve at the track is so much higher than anything I could expect to achieve on the street and remain alive that I'm not really all that interested in riding fast on the street any more.

Nice thing about a turbo is the intimidation factor. Nobody even tries me.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You need some NOS to go with the turbo boost!!! Talk about two-wheel rocket!!!

There's a video floating around the internet somewhere with a 800+HP Viper versus stock Busa, modded Busa and NOS Busa.

7. Clydeglide

Clydeglide

8. emarsh

emarsh

Last year at the track I saw a Viper with twin turbos. On street tires it was running high 9s at about 147. Not to shabby.