Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good exterior paint for my house. It is hardie board. Is the Shera in Williams worth what it costs? Appreciate any recommendations.

·
Registered
9,993 Posts
Are you prepping it for a sale or going to live there for awhile?

My limited experience is that good quality paint is worth the money. Not right away, but in a year or 3 you will see the difference.

Not sure the specific brand matters that much, other than being higher quality.

Like most things I would not use either extreme, but a solid mid range choice.

Lots of online resources to help guide you.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Are you prepping it for a sale or going to live there for awhile?

My limited experience is that good quality paint is worth the money. Not right away, but in a year or 3 you will see the difference.

Not sure the specific brand matters that much, other than being higher quality.

Like most things I would not use either extreme, but a solid mid range choice.

Lots of online resources to help guide you.
I painted the outside a year and a half ago with the high dollar Sherwin Williams paint. No problems with it so far.

Definitely spend the money on good paint. Well worth the money to avoid going up a ladder more often if you used cheap paint.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I'd go with S-W. We had our house painted with it...excellent quality.

·
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
29,109 Posts
Not sure on exterior paint, but on interior Benjamin Moore is the only paint I've ever used that has genuinely impressed me.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
As someone who’s in the painting trades i’d also suggest going with as good a quality paint as you can afford. Myself i’m partial to Benjamin Moore but any name brand should be satisfactory. The key to longevity with paint is in the prep. Take the time to scrape and use a decent oil primer then put on your finish.I prefer oil primers as they penetrate into the wood better than latex.Done properly a good paint job should last years before needing to be done again.

·
Registered
21,494 Posts
As someone who knows nothing about paint, I am sold on Benjamin Moore out of sheer anecdotal experience. After appreciating some of the colors and durability of their products on buildings at my job, I selected their paint for own house more than ten years ago. The paint still looked damn good and had a lot of life left in it when I decided to repaint out of Covid boredom a few weeks ago. Once again Benjamin Moore, and it painted easy as could be.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I did my house back in 2012 with Behr Marquee from Home Depot. Just sold the house with that paint job - no complaints from the buyer, and they were picky about a lot of stuff. I think it's in the vicinity of $40/gallon now. I loved the stuff. It held up well.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Painted an entire house once. Used SW paint, but sprayed it on. Trust me, it's the only way to go. It'll save you tons of extra work. I used the electric sprayer too. Noisy, but effective.
Now - vinyl siding. Brittle in winter but otherwise no problems.

Reactions: Dr. Bill

·
Registered
672 Posts
i have to get mine painted this year as well.

however, i ain't as lucky as some of you, to only have to buy a "few" gallons.

i have a 3 family home, and as a result, those "few gallons you all buy" turn into a "few 55 gallon containers" for me real quick. plus the cost of a contractor.

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Sherwin Williams makes a premium exterior paint.

Exterior is totally dependent on the prep. Power wash if you can and make sure all the moisture is gone. Use Kilz on any area that has mold.

Always makes me laugh when I hear people getting $18 paint from Wally World and spending hours doing the painting only to do it again in a couple years. Not to mention the many coats the junk paint requires.

For interior I use Benjamin Moore Regal Select. At $55 a gallon it last 10 years.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
I painted my house in NYS before I sold and moved here. I used Beyr from Home Depot. Now I was doing it while working so it was weekends and I was the only one doing it. I did the primer in with the paint which was what I was advised to use. It was the nicest paint I've ever sued and went on very well and covered well too. I would use it again if I needed to.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Painted an entire house once. Used SW paint, but sprayed it on. Trust me, it's the only way to go. It'll save you tons of extra work. I used the electric sprayer too. Noisy, but effective.
Now - vinyl siding. Brittle in winter but otherwise no problems.
While spraying is quicker there’s a downside in that you will not get the same amount of mil thickness with a sprayer as opposed to brush/roller. The paint has to be thinned down to get the proper viscosity to get through the spray nozzle.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Used SW on our house in Vegas. At year 10 I had the dark brown trim and soffits repainted in preparation for sale. the trim had faded. The rest of the light colored paint still looked good and was holding up well.

·
2,385 Posts
While spraying is quicker there’s a downside in that you will not get the same amount of mil thickness with a sprayer as opposed to brush/roller. The paint has to be thinned down to get the proper viscosity to get through the spray nozzle.
B.S. You spray latex on straight out of the 5-gallon bucket (with a strainer wrapped around the intake hose), no thinning required and backroll or backbrush depending on the surface. Stucco and T111 around here. You're not applying it correctly if you don't backroll. You can add some Flotrol for finish spraying smooth surfaces like doors and trim but that's different.

You see thinned paint on new construction because the contractor is cutting corners by cutting the paint with water to save money. It looks crummy up close because the paint is super thin, it doesn't fill in the stucco texture very well, and it doesn't hold up for 10-15 years like it should. There's a night/day difference between new construction paint jobs and the first re-paint.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Sherwin Williams is worth the money. I painted my house with it about 12 years ago and it’s still good for another year or two.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
I installed prepainted arctic white Hardiplank on the upper level of my home, several years ago. In doing my research for the project, I recall reading that the factory applied finish would hold up well. Eventually I will have to paint it. I installed a rain screen on the walls that get splatted by rain running off of the upper roof onto the hip roofs. That allows to wall to breath and extend the life of the paint. I used Quad OSI caulk and replaced all of the wood trim with PVC or cement board. We have used Behr premium paint inside and out for years.

·
NRA Benefactor
7,440 Posts
I used SW Duration - satin white - on my house in 2013. A friend and I primed with the oil base SW recommended after scraping, belt sanding and generally removing everything loose on my 1916 house. When I sold it last month the paint looked new.

1. Great paint brushes on so much easier and covers better. Use good brushes. Keep them clean.

2. Don't pay the the list of $81/gallon for Duration. SW has constant sales. Right now Duration is $57.

I used Ben Moore in the '80s and '90s because I could get it with a contractor's discount. It was fine, too.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts