Time to get out of town in Travel Trailer.

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by PaulMason, Feb 21, 2020.

1. bandsaw

bandsaw

I think you're jumping the gun a bit! The New England Journal of Medicine recently released an article on the Covid19 Virus and they proclaimed it was nothing more than a flu bug (essentially) and there is no need for the response people are giving now. Also, Dr. Drew Pinsky recently expressed his distaste for the way the Media is hyping this and creating panic.
    As for me, I don't believe for 1 minute there is any need for such extreme responses as we are seeing. Wash Your Hands!! Soap and Water work best. Stop picking your nose and touching your face. You'll be fine! In a month, this will be history.

Wake_jumper likes this.
  2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Why?

3. bdcochran

bdcochran

The traditional notion of “home” has little meaning here in Quartzsite, AZ. During January and February, homes on wheels outnumber permanent houses by about 500 to 1. The sleepy town of less than 4,000 year-round residents receives a winter migration of nearly 2 million humans and their mobile dwellings each year.

Quartzsite is cut into quadrants by Interstate 10 and Route 95. It is a shrine to modern transportation; a place where everything mobile, gas-powered, and impermanent finds a patron. Indeed, every kind of mobile home and driver is welcome and celebrated in some corner of this open-air cathedral; their rigs, in every size, shape, age, condition, and tax bracket, are anointed by the same desert dust.

FBI statistics indicate 78% higher crime rate than other areas.

But all of the foregoing should not stop a person from bugging out to the location. There will be plenty of people coming from all over the country to socialize and share . . .germs.

4. bdcochran

bdcochran

How about a report from Paul Mason who was going to bug out to Quartzite, Az. Paul should have reached there by now. I look forward to his report how he is keeping epidemic safe in the midst of the winter snowbirds off the national 10 freeway.

I would like to know what he is doing for security, doing to avoid people with illnesses, obtaining his food and water.

5. SFCSMITH(RET)

SFCSMITH(RET)

He posted somewhere here that he was leaving.. went to another board and pointed out GT was nothing but trolls now..

I don't know how to link a post here, but it's #40 in the "stock market crash" thread he started..

6. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

While it’s too late now. Cultivate friends who have a BOL when things are calm. Yrs back I offered a place on some land I own. For weekend trips, hunting during season, and BOL if SHTF. Zero serious interest. Self storage place @3 miles from location...
    Not for free of course, restrictions it stays cleaned up, parking for equipment in unheated shed, or a heated RV storage shed @3 miles away. I have a neighbor who has had 3 rvs on his land yr round. Used in summer, pulled into his shed over winter.....
    Start out talking hunting, find out if more. Most people would welcome a few more bodies they can trust if problems happen.

7. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

3 1/2 weeks later, still feel the same way?

8. bandsaw

bandsaw

Not so much!
    It's interesting how this is turning on us compared to how we were initially informed.

9. NoStress

NoStress

If you are going to do this and cant keep out of sight than I would find someplace you can.

10. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

All Colorado state parks are closed and Forest Service closed all campgrounds and trails and they are highly discouraging hunting and fishing. Un f...ing believable. How does sitting under a tree calling in a turkey in the middle of nowhere put me in danger for a localized germ? Let's see, last time I hunted and fished, we tried to get as far away from other people as we could. Like MILES apart if possible. Camping on public land is not considered "essential travel" according to our local news. If there's ever a time to be away from people this is it. The only logic I can see is that people will want to stop for food, gas, supplies on the way and that could jeopardize people. Other than that, it makes zero sense to me. Off the grid, and clandestine would be ideal.

larry_minn likes this.
  11. fastbolt

fastbolt

Ever notice in some of the popular "bugging out during a disaster" themed fiction that more people seem to run headlong into what they fear? Wonder why that is a popular theme and plot device? Art imitates life, perhaps?

Also, sometimes "bugging out" introduces a surprising variety of problems that wouldn't have been encountered by not bugging out.

Like someone jumping wildly out of the way of a problem on a sidewalk, only to discover they've unavoidably jumped right in front of a moving car or truck.

The Rule of the Seven P's. Time tested.

Not blind "I must run!!!" panic, as that can result into running right into the chaos created by other "gotta get away" mindsets.

NoStress likes this.
  12. NoStress

NoStress

I am always amazed when people freeze to death because they didn't dress for the weather. Or they needlessly die because of some other foreseeable or easily avoidable thing.
    When you are prepared for where you are at it can be easy to overlook different dangers you will face somewhere else. Even when you know them. Some things are not obvious though and many perish from a lack of knowledge. Most are good on the ground but they might want to look that scaffolding over before they climb it. Gotta know what to look for though.

fastbolt likes this.
  13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Still seems like not a big deal to me. I see a lot of hysteria and overreaction. If you are 70 with AIDS, you've got a problem, but if you are 40 and healthy, the flu would probably be worse.

fastbolt likes this.
  14. bandsaw

bandsaw

I now have concern whereas 2-1/2 weeks ago I did not and like you I believed it was nothing to be concerned about. I am 62 so and very healthy but, still am taking precautions. To be honest, I don't know if this is real or blown out of proportion.

15. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

The chance of dying from it is very small yet there is still a chance. Better to be careful than risk the chance of exposure. You would hate to be "that guy who inexplicably died" from it. Or infected others who ended up dying.

Having said that I've not left the house except to go to my hunting cabin 3 hours away.

I can get there and back on one tank of gas and don't need to stop. I take enough provisions for a couple days at a time. The nearest neighbor is more than a half a mile away. Pretty low risk overall.

bandsaw likes this.
  16. Aceman

Aceman

To defeat the Government, you must think like the Government.

What the Government wants most is to stay in control. To stay in control, you must be dependent on them. If you can go live off grid and be safe, then they are not needed by you. Thus, we must not allow you to be responsible for your own safety by allowing you to go into an isolated state not supported by the Government.

Have to use there logic - not yours!

larry_minn and treg like this.
  17. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Huddle together in small groups in the desert where soap and water are rare?
    No thanks.

I'd rather watch 10 seasons of The Walking Dead.

BGDaddy likes this.
  18. SFCSMITH(RET)

SFCSMITH(RET)

Of course.. hindsight is always 20/20.. Lots of things I have had an opinion on, I have changed with time and hindsight.

19. SDDL-UP

SDDL-UP

They announced in New York City there were around 250 deaths yesterday. The number may seem high, but how many people do you expect to die everyday in a city of 10 million?

The percentages are still very low.

If you are in an "at risk" group you should be taking appropriate precautions.

treg likes this.
  20. bdcochran

bdcochran

That makes a person exceptional. Most people double down on opinions.

I wonder how many Bugout Bubbas will change their opinion that they will handle shtf by living off the land. It seems that the various governments have no problem closing parks/trails and wilderness expanses - and policing the closures.

Now they see done. It didn't register when people would post the experience in the Ukraine in the 1930s when the Soviets isolated the area and people died of famine. They were farmers. The weather was fine. This was an area poor in roads, poor in transportation, no phones, no internet, no facsimile, no cell towers and the government easily closed it down.

I wonder how many people will wake up and understand that a person in Casper, Wy has a good chance of being caught up in an epidemic, albeit a couple weeks later than in the metropolitan area.

When I would write that the dirt road from the rural retreat led to the highway and ran to the big city, it poo pooed. It isn't war time and this epidemic is reaching everywhere just like the 1918 epidemic.

Survival is a function of tools/equipment, skills, and physical/mental health.

Now it is being driven home that people with underlying medical conditions are most at risk - whether with this epidemic or the annual flu. I wonder how many people will now address their medical conditions and risky behavior better.