Time to get out of town in Travel Trailer.

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by PaulMason, Feb 21, 2020.

1. PaulMason

PaulMason

This virus is getting me worried. My concern is that it is air borne and can be spread by people before they are even showing signs. So unless your are ready to shelter in place now it may be too late when the government tells you to. The USA news organizations are hardly covering this. The Chinese News Channel CGTN and others outside the USA. If you have sat'l or cable you might be able to find CGTN or Japan's NTV.

https://www.france24.com/en/2020022...ols-businesses-shut-over-coronavirus-outbreak

I never liked very much about bugging out in my travel trailer. I don't have bug out land so this would be staying on BLM land.
    Bugging out isn't a great idea because of the limited space for preps and limitations on gas. My Ram 2500 gets 10mpg with no head wind when towing.

When things get rough I'm planning to head to the area near Quartzsite, AZ. The good is that it is relatively remote with several gas stations. And, there is plenty of land. Keeping out of sight will he hard as it is relatively flat. The area is know for all the RVs that pass through so there are services for things like propane, water, water dumping and limited food stores. It is about 225 miles from Phoenix.

On the bad side it is very hot in the summer, which could be when things get bad.

If Quartzsite doesn't work out. I could go to Phoenix where there are many RV parks. The hard part here would be to keep away from people.

2. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

Why not simply stay at your home and wait it out? You have shelter, water, food, firearms, and other supplies. I do not believe this is an end all virus, imo.

3. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Honestly, I doubt there's any way to avoid this thing if it remains so easily transmitted. You can't avoid all people indefinitely and the majority of cases are, as best we can tell, mild.

You can run for a time, but I don't think you'll be able to hide.

And, if we get widespread cases across the country, putting off your inevitable infection seems like the worst idea. Get it early and you can receive maximum medical care. Wait until everyone has it and you're standing in line begging for a bed like the folks in China.

4. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Is it better to get sick, all alone, out in the desert, or at home near civilized medical facilities?

Agonizer, BGDaddy, Glockdude1 and 3 others like this.
  5. PaulMason

PaulMason

Read the link above your post.

6. PaulMason

PaulMason

That is the 28 Days Later Movie solution. You are betting that you will recover from the virus. People are dying from it.

7. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

I'm not trying to take the piss out of you, but no man in the lower 48 can be an island, there just isn't enough room.

If you don't believe me, just try hunting on public land.

Intolerant, orangejeep06 and Joshhtn like this.
  8. PaulMason

PaulMason

The point is not to get sick. Also, where I'm going has a hospital and lifeflight.

9. PaulMason

PaulMason

10. PaulMason

PaulMason

It's not about being an island. It is about surviving the high tide.

11. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Fair enough, if that's your m.o. you may have a point in all honesty.

12. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I’ve heard worse plans.

serve_and_protect likes this.
  13. Monkeybomb

Monkeybomb Resident Misantrope

I think if you lived in a high-density population area getting away might be a plan. But in the burbs and rural areas staying home and sealing up would probably be a better plan. As long as you have clean water and plenty of food you can wait out a lot of issues. Duct tape and plastic sheeting along with proper hygiene go a long way.

14. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

You're actually worried about this?

Relax, "flu" killed 80K last year; nobody flipped out.

nursetim, Jonesee, JimmyCat and 7 others like this.
  15. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

There is no escaping the Disease. And Quartzite is a Hell hole for deserted souls. It is filled with human wreckage and welfare recipients and drug users. Stay away from there. It will be difficult to escape this if it becomes a Pandemic. Stay near your home. It is your best Fortress.

nursetim, cbetts1, Agonizer and 2 others like this.
  16. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

No, I'm not betting I will necessarily recover. In fact, assuming it is as bad as it appears (vs. what China officially reports), I think there's a reasonable chance nearly everyone will be exposed and that puts the odds of at least one in my multi person household at risk of dying. That would really suck.

But, how is that different from any other time? A heart attack, a fatal wreck, cancer, a freak accident on the lake as recently took the life of a young father I know. Life always hangs on the brink. You should always have your affairs in order. But, I don't live in fear. I enjoy each day and my family.

You seem to have all the answers to people's comments. What I haven't heard from you is how your refuel, food, & dump station runs into town will protect you from an airborne, asymptomaticly transmitted virus that has an incubation period of 24-(possibly) 90 days.

Good luck with that and enjoy the desert.

I'll be helping my neighbors and enjoying my family. If God wants me, relocation won't do much to change that.

17. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

So you are going to go to the most transient town in AZ where people come from all over the continent? Lol

cbetts1, BGDaddy, Intolerant and 2 others like this.
  18. NMG26

NMG26

You'd do better to outfit your rig with solar panels for charging the house battery pack, and live off the grid. Should have that set up anyways.

PaulMason likes this.
  19. BuckeyeGlock77

BuckeyeGlock77

Unfortunately, I have to be back at work Monday - Powerball didn’t hit.

I get the concern, but I’m better off at home in my situation. Hopefully, this gets under control.