close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Time to Carry a J Frame!

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by DANGELO, Mar 24, 2010.

1. DANGELO

DANGELO

I am not a fan of small & light guns. No because of the recoil, but because of the limited effect of the available rounds. I got rid of a KelTech cause it shot itself loose. I stopped carrying my PPK/S cause it's too damn heavy. I love my Glock 36 & Glock 26 but they are too large for pocket & ankle carry.

Up until recently, I have relied on my trusty Ruger SP101. It's heavy, shoots everything well, and I can manage to get .357 loads thru the thing w/out too much of a beating. It's just too heavy & too large for pocket carry.

I want a JFrame. I just order a Special Edition S&W M442 w/Magna Porting.

I read in one of the gun rags that Bangers was coming out with a special run of Magna Ported 442. Called my local shop & jumped on it. No idea WHEN it's coming, but for about $100 more than a typical 442, I get the porting.

For those who have yet to experience the benefits of Magna-Porting, a quick lesson. The 'cuts' are to the port & starboard sides of the front sight. They look like little mini-usb connectors. I think they call 'em 'trapezoidal' machined slots. These two slots make a hell of a difference with solid carry ammo for perceived recoil.

They are right. I handled TWO Ruger SP101's setup with magna porting and WOW. Hot .38sp's were SIMPLE and carry .357 magnums were equal to +p+ 38sps. I liked it. I wanted it.

I plan to get the 442, add a CTC laser grip set, and purchase another small flashlight & some Bianchi Speed Strips, and do some ammo testing. I would LOVE to get my hands on some old Federal Nyclads, but I think the GoldDots by Speer made special for short barreled revolvers will do the trick. I always like Winchester Silvertips out of my Ruger. Hope they hold up too.

God Bless the Men & Women of our country's Armed Forces.

R/S in CT

2. Davidkxx

Davidkxx Armed Response

Ports are NOT a good idea for CQB shooting if you have to shoot from the retention position as you will find flames running up your body. The also reduce your night vision capability. You might want to rethink your decision. Otherwise, J-frames make nice guns for compact carry.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010

3. farley45

farley45

I don't know about the porting, but the smith 442 is a great j-frame to carry.

4. tln1313

tln1313

I used to have a 642, but recently bought a 340 M&P and changed the grip to the Pachmyr compac. Wow. What a great gun. It comes with the XS big dot front night sight and is chambered for .357. Light yet manageable w/.357 and no ports for close contact shooting burns or blinding at night...

5. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

I agree. When fired from retention, the hot muzzle gasses coming from the ports will end up in your eyes... not good. In addition, the ports will also diminish the muzzle velocity of the round, which is already diminished being fired from the short 1 7/8" barrel.

Yes the J-frame is a bit unpleasant to shoot with +P loads, however it is not a target gun meant to be pleasant to shoot. Much practice is needed to get used to the heavy DAO trigger, small sights, and sharp recoil.

I like these little guns so much, I just bought my second J-frame today. A 642 no-lock. :)

6. Super Trucker

Super Trucker NRA Endowment Life Member

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  7. Dogguy

Dogguy

I'm a big guy but I really like small guns. The J-frame Smiths are just plain handy little buggers, especially for pocket carry. They do kick pretty good but I can get through a range session of a couple of 50-round boxes without too much pain and no permanent damage. Given the range in which they will be used, the magnaporting may be overkill but if it works for you no one can argue with it.

" I would LOVE to get my hands on some old Federal Nyclads, but I think the GoldDots by Speer made special for short barreled revolvers will do the trick."

You can occasionally find the standard loading of the 125 gr Fed Nyclads at Ammunition To Go. Keep checking and they'll probably turn up again. I recently bought several boxes of the 135 gr GDHP +P and that will be my carry load too. Unfortunately, I've yet to get to the range to try them out. I've been using the 125 gr GDHP +P in my 642 up to now.

Enjoy the 442. Good choice.

8. J_Rico

J_Rico

I read in one of the gun rags that porting would impact your night vision. My brother has a little Tuarus 38 with ports. We took it out at night to test and see for ourselves.

We tried standard .38's and +ps. It has been a while, so I can not list the exact loadings. Anyway, we did not get large flashes jetting out of the ports. Yes you could see a flash, but it was less than the muzzle flash on my Glock 27(Fed 180 gr hst - this I do remember). The flash from the barrel of the G27 was a lot more damaging to our night vision than the combined muzzle/port flash from the 38.

I know the op is getting a different brand and a different style of porting, so YMMV.

9. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

Got to agree with David, with one exception. The ports won't contribute any more to loss of night vision than will the flash coming from the muzzle. Other than that, however, I agree with the idea that ports do not help you for CQB, defensive shooting, etc.

10. fastbolt

fastbolt

I own a few Mag-na-ported revolvers. I used to own a Safari Arms Matchmaster with a Schuemann designed Hybrid Comp barrel & slide.

One of the ported revolvers I still own is a Quad-ported SP101.

I've never noticed any difference between the bright muzzle blast/flash signature of the short-barreled .357 Magnum loads in the Ruger before it was ported and then afterward. Still bright with the lightweight 125gr JHP loads either way. ;)

I feel that porting on a short-barreled defensive handgun does require some adjustment in the way it's handled for close combat/retention shooting. I've seen how the ports on some of my revolvers can at least sometimes allow not only hot gasses, but bits of shaved jacketing and lead bullet material to be diverted with the gasses.

One time when I allowed someone to shoot my Matchmaster I was in a position to observe the vented gasses from the gun's ports being diverted upward toward a bare light bulb above the shooter in an indoor range, and the bulb was broken. Surprised the shooter.

That said, I find the porting to significantly reduce muzzle rise when I use Magnum loads in my 101. The Quad porting keeps the muzzle virtually level. Not so noticeable when shooting .38 +P, but then that heavy little wheelgun handles those loads with aplomb even without the porting. The felt recoil delivered back into my palm is understandably heavier with the heavy bullet weight loads, but the reduction of muzzle whip/rise is still an advantage.

I've never handled an Airweight J-frame which has been ported or had a compensated barrel, so I don't know how that combination feels in live fire.

11. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

I fired my snub through a jacket pocket once, just to convince myself it could be done effectively and that I could get a follow-up shot. The only downside is that the lining had a fair portion of polyester and the pocket was all but destroyed. The hole/tear from the rounds was about the size of a half dollar.

I can't imagine trying this with a ported snubbie.

Speculation follows
    It seems to me that with an unported pistol, a significant portion of the unburned powder/flame go out the same hole as the bullet, but with ports, it would be vented into the pocket lining.

12. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

+1 on the J frames, 60 and 649 for me, but not porting. On a 3-4 inch no problem, on a 2 inch no.

13. Comp_sH00teR24

Comp_sH00teR24

apparently someone didnt read "Combat Handguns" from a couple of months ago when they reviewed this gun. The flame coming from these ports do not throw fire 10 miles high and will not melt your eyebrows. Think about it...does the flame coming from the end of a barrel come out and hide itself from your eyes from a non-ported barrel???? No...the flames come out in all direction, and if the whole blinding yourself and blowing your face off by shooting from retention with a ported barrel garbage was true then you would blind yourself everytime you pulled the trigger with a non-ported barrel too. Just not true. Look at some videos on youtube at night shooting with a C-model glock.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  14. Davidkxx

Davidkxx Armed Response

I have videotaped flames coming out of ports upwards. I have put piece of cardboard over ports while being fired only to watch them get blown apart. If you want that under your face that's your choice.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  15. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Biggest two problems with a revolver are a low number of rounds in the gun and the speed of reloading (or lack thereof). Even with "speeedloaders", reloading a revolver is a lot slower and more complicated than a semi-auto, especially while moving and under stress. That having been said, I carry a j-frame much of the time as it fills an important niche.

I'd recommend one of the new S&W j-frames that come pre-drilled for moon clips. They make a moon clip version of the 442 now, and using moon clips will decrease your reload time considerably. Plus, you still have the option of using it without moon clips if you so choose. I'm looking to have my M&P 360 drilled for moon clips sometime soon.

16. badr1

badr1

I can't do ported pistols, I was trained to use the DIRECTED muzzle flash from a beretta M9 to line up for follow up shots in low light condition. You can use the flash to make adjustments in the heartbeat it takes you would be surprized how accurately you can adjust that fast! IMO porting is for rifles and competition handguns. I carry an LCR off and on it is loaded with critical defense +P's and with the factory Hogue Tamer grip is actually no worse than a Jframe with standard loads.

But hey if it hurts your hands Charter arms has a nice pink one or hell even a nice purple one (sorry I can't be informative and serious all at once people wont know what to do)

17. badr1

badr1

Practice makes perfect though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsLx5ISBXw4

18. AggiePhil

AggiePhil ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah, I too love watching the Miculek clips, but he's a rare example that most will never achieve. This aside, he does use moon clips which is what I recommended to the OP in the post above. :cool:

19. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I have a 442 and I don't believe that in a snubby that you could tell a difference in muzzle blast because of the shortness of the barrel. Just my opinion. The j frames are nice carry pieces but they don't have enough rounds in today's gang attack society.

20. Davidkxx

Davidkxx Armed Response

38/357s don't work as well as 45s in moon clips due to their longer length (more movement within the clip) and their smaller diameter.

If I carry a j-frame, its usually as a back up. When I do carry it as a primary, I carry a second one instead of relying on trying to reload.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010