Time for a new bike, now the choices

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by epsylum, May 25, 2007.

1. epsylum

epsylum Guest

Well I made up my mind and I am getting a new bike. Maybe even next week. I know kind of what I want.

I want an I-4 and want to keep it 9 grand and under. Upright-ish seating is a must, I had a sportbike and while I love the handling and speed, I hated riding it.

I go to a certain bike dealership (they have the big 4) because my brother worked there for 6 years as a mechanic and they know who my dad and I are and will not feed us BS. If a bike sucks, they will tell us. Plus we just like supporting them.

I wanted an FZ6 but I think I am going to pass on it. They are selling like crazy according to the sales manager we know pretty well. He even said he had a used one come in on trade and it was gone by the end of the day. So I can't even sit on one to see if I want it. I have been lured away from it by these bikes.

'06 FZ1 w/ 2200 miles (looks perfect, as it should). They are asking $8000 for it. Obviously that does not include tax, but since it is used there is no assembly and freight fee. They have an '07 brand new in there listed for right at $9000 plus fees. So I can save a grand in the deal and basically get a comfy R1.

Pluses:
    Big power. The FZ1 forums there are guys getting at and some even over 140hp at the wheel with the second gen FZ1s with only basic bolt on mods (pipe, power commander, undoing all of Yamaha's emission crap, filter, etc.) Just FYI a stock Busa puts down about 150-155hp at the tire (my brother has dynoed many of them).

Looks great. Other than the butt ugly pipe, which will be scrapped for an Akropovic full system, they look awesome IMO.

Lots of cool goodies for it.

Minuses:
    Stock seat sucks. Sure $300 and a call to Sargent can fix that, but that is yet another $300 I will have to spend.

The knee cutouts on the tank don't seem to fit me too well. They are too low for my liking.

The other is a brand spanking new '07 Kawasaki Z-1000. It is marked $8690 or something right around there.

Pluses:
    Looks awesome (again, other than the pipes which will be swapped out ASAP).

I have wanted a Z-1000 since they came out.

Seems to fit me a tad better than the FZ-1.

New bike smell. :supergrin:

Minuses:
    No fairing (which is oddly enough, one reason why I think it looks so badass). I have ridden a few unfaired bikes on the highway and the buffetting from the wind and air, can get a bit irritating at times.

A tad more expensive

Has as much torque as the Yammie (according to the manufacturers claims, which usually are pretty damn optimistic), but down on HP.

There is also a slightly used DL-1000 V-Strom. I sat on it and it is like a couch compared to the other two. My brother has had good things to say about them as well, but I dunno. They are asking the same for it as the FZ1. I kind of still want something a bit more sporty, but without going full on "monkey humping a football" like the superbikes. Plus I already had a TL-1000S, so I know what that engine is about. Nothing wrong with it, but I just want an I-4 this time.

Also the sales guy I know has LOTS of really good things to say about the new Bandit 1250, but it is sort of bland looking IMO. Looks aren't everything, but hey I am 25 and single, it sure as hell doesn't hurt to get some attention.

The sales manager did say that when I am absolutely ready to buy that he will let me try them out (since he knows that I am not some goober that will just chunk it down the street without even leaving the parking lot). I am already thinking about just running down there tuesday (the next day I am free) with the intentions to be riding home on something. Either way I think it is time to blow the cobwebs off my Arai. ;)

Opinions? Anything I have overlooked?

Also, anyone know of any bike friendly insurance companies? So far Progressive seems to be pretty good. I got a Geico quote and it was retarded. My car insurance company used to be great about bikes (I was paying $25 a month for full coverage on a near new 2000 TLS when I was 20), but they seem to have pretty much stopped carrying bikes since then.

2. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

Can't really help you on your bike choice, i'm a newbie when it comes to bikes and am riding a 2005 Kawasaki ZZR600.

For insurance, see if you can switch your auto policy over to state farm and then get motorcycle insurance through them. I'm paying $182/year for full coverage w/a $500 deductible. A new 2007 Kawi Ninja 650R would have been $250/year.

Good luck and stay safe,

Steve

3. epsylum

epsylum Guest

Hmm that sounds weird. A ZZR 600 = a two generation old ZX-6R, something most insurance companies hate. A Ninja 650 is basically just SV competition and not as fast as the ZZR.

Maybe it is the evil "R" after that 650 that makes it cost more to insure. :upeyes:

Then again some insurace companies are still under the impression that a Ninja 250 is a death machine so fast that can bend time and space.

I will check out state farm.

BTW my insurance company is Farmers. I am not sure why they turned against bikes like they did. I will be switching my car over to whoever insures my bike. No need for 2 bills and to continue to support a company that disagrees with my hobbies. Besides Progressive already quoted me less on my car insurance too. I do have to say, the one time I used Farmers (when my near new car was totaled in a no-fault accident), they took good care of me.

4. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

State Farm just bases their rates on CC. I was told that if I went with a 2005 1200cc bike the rate would just double to $364.

Can't go wrong with that for insurance premium. They do not offer any kind of medical coverage though.

Steve

5. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

Lets see, you get a quote from Progressive- and as a "service" they provide you with OTHER Ins. Co.'s prices...and you BELIEVE them?
    OK...
    NOBODY could touch GEICO's rate for me- but I'm old, never had a chargable accident, never had a ticket,live in a rural area, don't drive many miles,have the MC Endorsement, took the MC driver's saftey course thru ABATE, and keep the bikes in a locked garage- those are the factors that make up rates-for me anyway.

6. Scrappy

Scrappy

You have to shop for insurance it's that simple! My insurance co that I have 3 cars and a home insured with wanted $450 year full coverage to insure my bike. WTF I say? My agent is also hooked up with Progressive which I think is the #1 bike insurer in the country. Well I got full coverage top of the line for $200 year. They also give $3000 extra coverage for free for Extras.
    Now years ago when I contacted progressive for car insurance they were out of there mind.
    So think long and hard about having 2 bills coming to the house it could be worth it!
    Now I would stay clear of GEICO because I hear nothing but complants about them. They cut corners like not wanting to use OEM parts on a new vehicle that was in an accident!
    Progressive is #1 for a reason- They take care of you!

That FZ1 has caught my eye too. Also look for a used 2005 Kawasaki ZRX 1200 they are pretty nice too.
    http://users.adelphia.net/~zrx11/reviews/mcdrev.html
    http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_zrx_1200_r_2005.php

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Honda 919? New Suzuki Bandit 1250?

PS State Farm won't insure a bike on its own. You gotta at least have an auto insurance with them. And no they don't have medical coverage for moto but then you should have medical coverage from work, so the point is moot.

I'd say that State Farm's rates for moto is good. Not spectacular but good. It's cheaper than Progressive, at least for me anyway.

8. epsylum

epsylum Guest

Yeah checked both of them out. They weren't doing much for me.

I will be doing some shopping for insurance. I think I will go with Progressive on the bike only at first (for other reasons dealing with my car situation and the fact the owner of the dealership and my brother's former boss is a Progressive agent as well). But I will look into State Farm and factor in my car insurance with it as well.

I am still stuck on the FZ1 or Z1000 thing. I think I am leaning towards the FZ1 right now, but that could change in 10 minutes.

9. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I have owned a 2003 FZ1 for years and I love it. I would recommend it to anyone looking for this type of bike.

10. buddylee28

buddylee28

I am thrilled with my '06 FZ-1. Switched from a SV650S due to uncomfortable riding position and also wanted more power. I got it! Only complaints have been wind buffeting (which I solved by cutting windscreen) and less MPG than the SV.. but I knew that would be the case.. Rides like the SV until you get to about 5500 RPM, then.. hold on!!

I paid $7600 NIB for mine, but that was in January when they wanted the '06s out the door.

[​IMG]

I can't comment on the other bikes mentioned. Hope you find something you like!

11. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Guest

I personally love the FZI (save for the dumbass shorty silencer). Same for the Z-1000. IMO, the Bandit is badass too, but the suspension seemed cheezy to me.

12. epsylum

epsylum Guest

Well, I almost got an FZ1 today. I passed because the APR was nuts. I am paying off some credit cards and such right now and will try again in 30 days. Hopefully I can get a much lower payment.

13. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

Your best bet would be to contact a Credit Union regarding a loan.

I'm at 9% or so but figure it's not that bad if I pay it off quickly.

Steve

14. epsylum

epsylum Guest

The one bank that would finance me the amount I needed was wanting over 18% :shocked: That was why I walked away. The financing lady said that looking at my credit history she would put me at a tier 1, but the banks thought otherwise. I should be doing a whole lot better in 30 days when some things come off my credit.

BTW I think I am definately getting the FZ1......eventually.

15. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Guest

What I usually do is get an unsecured loan. Then you can buy privately or sell easily with a loan that's disconnected from teh vehicle.

16. candh

candh Senior Member

+1, I have a 2001 FZ1, best bike ever IMHO

Check out http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I don't know why but the banks always seem to jack up the APR on motorcycle purchases even though you have good credit history. That's why I've bought all of mine with cash (except for the Beemer but at .49%; yes, that's correct, it's hard to pass that up).

18. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

Anyone into guns (which I would hope you are, if you are on this forum!) should avoid Progressive like the plague. They are one of the largest supporters of the most anti 2A groups out there, the ACLU!!!

Keep in mind that your insurance quote will be based on several things. Location, marital status, years riding, and moving violations are obvious, but another large one (in some cases, larger than the aforementioned!) is your credit history!

I would personally go for the FZ1, that bike looks sweet! :supergrin: