close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tikka T3 lite, Rem 700SPS Tactical or Savage FP10?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by reaper8154, Feb 17, 2010.

1. reaper8154

reaper8154

Just need a few thoughts on which rifle to get. I want a 308 bolt gun and have narrowed it down to these 3. I can get the Remmy or the Savage and they are only $1 apart, or the T3 lite for about $50 more.

I will use it for deer and for a range toy. I just need some opinions from you guys because I have never owned a good bolt action. And this is NOT intended to become a pissing match.:wavey:

2. armorplated

armorplated

You can't go wrong with any of them for your stated purposes. It's a win/win choice.

I've owned two Remington 700s: 270 and 30-06. The 700 action is practically bulletproof.

The Savage, especially w/accutrigger, enjoys a stellar repuation for accuracy.

However, I'm currently planning to buy a Tika Stainless Lite LH in 308. They're made by Sako and are also outstanding weapons.

3. reaper8154

reaper8154

LOL, thanks for nothing!

Man, I can't decide...

4. soulless

soulless

same question here myself too and after many researches, i am getting the remmy. Why? more after market support..

5. armorplated

armorplated

Given your criteria, and the fact that the Tikka is more expensive, I'd go with the 700. Prefered action for our military's snipers and has been around forever.

I was actually going to buy a Remington 700 XCR Left Hand in 30-06 but they discontinued it. My second choice is the Tikka/Sako LH stainless in 308.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If you want a sweet rifle out of the box, ready to go, no tweaking required then go with the Tikka. If you were to plan on putting stuff on it or changing stuff out then go with the Remington or Savage.

7. TheGrimReaper

TheGrimReaper

I've got a Savage 10FP in .308 and I love it. I believe my next purchase will be a Tikka T3 Hunter in 6.5x55 SE.

8. hoffy

hoffy

For sure. If you ever sell it the resale value is bound to be higher, and yes they are made by SAKO, or a division, I am not really sure what happened when the Finns sold SAKO to Beretta , but still made in Finland I am pretty positive. I have many military Tikkas , along with Sakos and Valmets and they all shoot very well, make the Russian Mosin Nagants look sick. I owned a Sako Commercial rifle I got cheap and sold it, wish I hadn't. The Tikka should have Sako mounts too which are really good. So I guess you know what I think you should get:supergrin:

9. Jdog

Jdog

wow... that's a tough choice... all 3 are top notch. I like the Remingtons new design and smooth action (would be nice chambering a round with your cheek still on the scope) or the tikka renowned for it's out of the box accuracy... or the sexy legendary savage acu-trigger (and not a slouch on accuracy either).
    (just Looking at the Benelli R1 myself to replace my win model70)
    realized my post is no help at all... sorry
    good luck w/your decision

10. KK40384

KK40384

Out of the 3 i'd have to say the 700. I like the Tikka a lot when it comes to out of the box accuracy but considering the aftermarket the 700 gets my pick. Now if you would consider the Tikka T3 varmint that's a different story.

11. Mercedesrover

Mercedesrover

Get the Tikka
    Put a good scope on it
    Shoot it.

The extra $50 you spend will turn into a savings when you realize you won't have to touch this rifle. It's that good off the shelf.

12. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Just my opinion, but if it were me, I would get the Remington.

13. carbofan21

carbofan21

my next bolt gun will be a tikka t3 stainless in 6.5x55. i have another tikka, a t3 hunter in .30-06. only upgrade worth doing on these rifles is a set of better rings.

if you want to customize it, go with the remington or savage.

14. reaper8154

reaper8154

Thanks for the answers so far. I'm really leaning towards the 700, but there is something about the Tikka that is making this decision impossible for me.

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You mean something like factory guarantee accuracy, awesome trigger pull, smooth bolt throw and high quality of workmanship plus affordable pricing?:wow:

16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Whatever you get, think about weight. My Savage 10FP .308 has a 24" bull barrel, and I put a big scope on it, too.

Nice to sit down at the range and shoot .75" groups. But I wouldn't want to lug it around for hunting.

For that, I have a Savage 110 .30-06 with a standard 22" barrel, smaller scope. Much lighter gun. Better balanced for off-hand shots, too. It shoots great 1-shot groups (after that the barrel heats up and point of impact wanders around 2").

I like the Rem 700, too. Had a BDL varmit special a few decades ago, sold it for college money. It had a heavy bull barrel. Ended up keeping a lighter gun of equivalent caliber, for walking around in the fields.

17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Every Tikka I handled in a gun shop had a smooth feel to working the bolt.

I cannot say that about the Savage. The Savage works, but smooth isn't the word.

The Rem 700 bolt seems pretty smooth, but probably not as smooth as the Tikka.

This may all vary by specific guns you happen to get your hands on. Just something to think about when you are looking at them. Not sure it matters much, other than being able to say "my gun has smooth feel to working the bolt" :rofl:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's unfortunate to see that the Savage's action hadn't changed since mid-1990s. I had one of the very first tactical/sniper job that Savage put out (titanium nitride coating on the bolt and everything) and while the gun shot very well, everything about it was just "cheap". The action was horrendous. It felt like you were grinding corn for grit and when you tried to work it fast, the bolt would bind. I don't even want to mention the trigger pull...it was beyond terrible.

This was the same time frame that the Sako TRG-S came out and my classmate bought one. After blasting his, I went and got my own while trading the Savage for it (at a significant loss). Then I got the Tikka Whitetail Hunter with the 20" barrel, put fixed Millett sight on it as a camping, packing rifle. Then like a damn idiot, I sold it off.

Later on I added the Sako M75 to the TRG-S and purchased the T3 Lite for fooling around. Still missed that Whitetail Hunter with the beautiful wooden stock though...

19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

They've certainly fixed the trigger. My 10FP has the adjustable trigger. As in, an idiot like me can adjust it. Has instructions, and says, just unscrew the stock from the action, then use their supplied allen wrench, and turn lefty or righty depending on how many pounds you want the pull to be, then put the action back in the stock, and tighten the screw back up. Simple as pie.

Sure beats "custom" trigger jobs. I once was at club shooting, a guy let me try his Rem 700 with a custom trigger job. I fired, and nothing. I looked at him (with the gun still pointed on target), and he said just wait a moment, sometimes it does that. Then BOOM! :rofl:

20. reaper8154

reaper8154

Ok, a little update.

I am going with the 700 (as long as my wife lets me:whistling:). I will be dressing her out with an Accupoint 3-9 with the green mil dot, Trijicon rail and rings. Gonna add a Harris bi-pod too. I'm pretty new to bolt guns, so should I get the pivoting bi-pod, or is it a waste of money?

The buddy I plan on hunting with just bought a used T3 Tactical for $950, so I get to shoot her too.:cool: